Hi, if possible could people check my form on this move please? I want to make sure I'm doing it right. The first up to get in position my bum is a bit high but I think it's ok on the reps after that.
Thanks,
This forum is archived information and is no longer active.
Started by BeanLion, December 13, 2013 · 20 Replies · 644 Views
Hi, if possible could people check my form on this move please? I want to make sure I'm doing it right. The first up to get in position my bum is a bit high but I think it's ok on the reps after that.
Thanks,
I'd say that I don't know why you guys start this exercise from the floor; it is even more hard
PPP start by doing a Planche Lean and on that Lean you begin your PushUp movement. First things first.
As for your form, I can't see your upper back but it doesn't matter because by the position of your lower back and your arms I can say that you're sunken on your scapula, by that I mean that they're not protracted and depressed same as Planche Leans but retracted a lot.
You've to keep more body tension on your lower body (glutes) same as upper body (abs), above all in your scapular area. You've to feel you max hollow as you can take.
For that reason, Planche Leans are so important to LEARN body position to LEARN PPP correctly. When PL are GOOD AS HELL, so PPP start to get better.
Record yourself a lot and spent more time on Planche Leans ![]()
Keep working!
I agree with Adriano, you need to focus more protraction. Check his thread as it has valuable suggestions with regards to this exercise.
I'm don't know though if you should necessarily start doing PL Lean to make PPPs better. The Foundation layout suggests that usually it would be the other way around, that PPPs come first. I would do PL Leans only if you've reached those in sPL progressions. If you're past them though, revisit them
.
dritar said:I agree with Adriano, you need to focus more protraction. Check his thread as it has valuable suggestions with regards to this exercise.
I'm don't know though if you should necessarily start doing PL Lean to make PPPs better. The Foundation layout suggests that usually it would be the other way around, that PPPs come first. I would do PL Leans only if you've reached those in sPL progressions. If you're past them though, revisit them
.
If your planche lean is bad then your PPP will be bad too unless the PPP you're doing is with a lot less lean than your planche lean.
Yes, but supposing you're starting in Foundation, all progressions at 1, and all goes well, you'll master PPPs before you even start Planche Leans. I've read somewhere here that the reason for that is that it's better for a beginner to build his lean with PPPs.
Note that I don't disagree that having a better Planche Lean will make your PPPs better, but I'm not sure it's the right option to do Planche Leans to better PPPs if you're behind that in sPL progressions and I don't think you need to master Planche Leans to master Pseudo Planche Pushups.
Planche Leans are invaluable as concern to body tension/awareness and correct scapular control. But same as all sPL progressions, from PE1 (scapular shrugs) to PE4 (one arm plank). All those progressions teach you have you have to engage the scapula to proper position and strenghtening that area. The thing is, with planche leans is when you start to connect all those things in a LEAN forward, same as in a PPP. If not, you're not doing real PPP and because of that Youtube is full of incorrect PPP lacking of proper scapular control and strenght; same as there are a lot of planchers doing planches sunk; improper foundation to more basic details.
Depends on your abilities you'll get first to PPP to PL, because I reached PPP first than PL just to realise that my HBP/PE2 were a fail of mastery because I won't go all the way down to the floor. I've to say that I mastery Swivel Hips pretty quickly and is a iM so difficult to many people.
But it doesn't matter at the end, because all sPL progressions teach you proper scapula position. If you reach first PPP, good, you'll spent a lot of time on them after you reach also PL and start to get better at PPP, because one thing I can say; you can't mastery PPP with good form if you're not progressing a lot on PL, and I think this is a fact, because when you pushup on PPP you are in a PL position and this position has to be perfect.
I think I write too much ![]()
Thanks for all your replies. Maybe I should revisit mastery on PE2.
The only reason I start from the floor is just so I know my hands are in the correct position. What is the best way to get into position?
Is the planche lean covered in the F1 course or is there somewhere else to look for videos on this?
I'll definitely be doing a lot more recording and from better positions as well.
Thanks
beanc1 said:Is the planche lean covered in the F1 course or is there somewhere else to look for videos on this?
Planche lean appears in F1 as sPL/PE5.
Thanks, I'm only on sPL/PE2 at the minute so that's a long way off!
Yeah, unfortunately the starting point for the PPP is a planche lean, so even if you can't hold it for time, you should be able to achieve the proper shape in order to work on proper PPPs.
Here's a link that may prove helpful with respect to understanding what Adriano is saying regarding the proper positioning of one's upper back, shoulders, and scapulae. It was written by one of Coach's athletes (you may recognize him from the videos in the Foundation series): https://www.gymnasticbodies.com/forum/topic/5959-scapula-position-for-basic-and-static-exercises/
If you plan on posting another video, try to make sure your upper back is visible at the top of the PPP so that people can give you proper feedback.
Thanks for the link. I'll check that out tonight when I'm home.
I'm planning on clearing a proper space so I can record all my current movements as I'm sure I'm probably doing them wrong. Just so pleased there's such a good and helpful community here.
beanc1 said:The only reason I start from the floor is just so I know my hands are in the correct position. What is the best way to get into position?
I use a tape measurer running from my toes so everything stays in the same place until it's time to increase the lean (reduce the distance between toes and hands)
I've done a new video and you can see my back properly now
Any other thoughts on this? Or still the same?
Thanks
Here's a video of me doing the PE2 as well
Watching this I don't look like the video in the course! My core and glutes don't seem very stable.
Is this a HBP weakness or another area? Note that I'm pretty much on PE1 for all aspects apart from this and RC.
Thanks
Can I ask a question about the above vids? I've been thinking a lot about breathing and should one be exhaling on the lowering phase of PPP? Does it matter?
I think proper breathing will make the exercise for comfortable. I inhale going down and exhale on going up. Always exhale on the hard part of the exercise. Although I think its different with holds.
I would say you are piked too much , and need more protraction in both pe1and 2 , read Adriano 's post and watch how he progressed . https://www.gymnasticbodies.com/forum/topic/10091-hbppe3-form/
Also I would remaster your pe2 with proper form and clean your room ! ![]()
I would spent more time on HBP/PE2 and as Nautique says remaster it. You've to clean your form and the ROM of the shoulder. It's not a step back actually, because you've to clean something important: your form that is even more important on PPP.
So, my take is applies the knowledgement of sPL progressions (currently you're in sPL/PE2, so try doing them with full protraction and depression) and when you do HBP/PE2 try the same thing when you'll be at the top. You've to fix your pike hips and that lumbar spine and try also not use momentum to do the PU by elevating the palms of the floor.
In your PPP you've the same flaws but even more visual because it's a harder movement compared to PU.
Body awareness and body tension, squeeze that ass and those abs bro! Makes yourself a PIECE, a BLOCK. And applies it in a less difficult movement like very simple PushUps... I spent 4 months on them, so no joke ![]()
Thanks a lot for all the feedback. I'm going to go back to HBP/PE2 as recommended and try to improve my form on that.
I'm going to take some more videos tomorrow of other movements to see where I need improvement in them. Might even tidy my room if I have time! But probably not
Thanks again
Ok, a week on and I've been trying to tuck my hips and keep everything tight (still no tidy room though). How are my push ups looking now?
Thanks
BeadLion, check this:
https://www.gymnasticbodies.com/forum/topic/11066-hbppe2-mastery-form-check/?p=109037
Is my evolution thread with HBP/PE2, and the simple detail that changed all the history. I hope it helps to you.