Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Ring-grips good or bad for ring strength training?

sasquatch

I noticed that in Coach Sommer's ring strength videos, his althletes don't wear ring grips. Is there something bad about using them?

I wanted to get some because my hands get really sweaty fast, and I can't do multiple muscle-ups after that.

I know Coach doesn't really like wrist supports because it weakens yours wrist, but are grips bad in the long run also?

Jonathan Lin

Hey sasquatch, I solved my sweaty grip problem by wrapping my wrists with some athletic tape; maybe that will help you too. I wore weight training gloves too, for good measure.

i spray deodrant on my hands... just make sure its anti-perspirant... right gaurd works best for me

Thanks for the suggestions. I never heard of putting deodrant on hands before. :lol:

Athletic tape Is grippy?

No it's not bad, but if you are not competitive it's throwing your money away. Ring-grips are used just in very advanced ring stregth series (inverted, maltese,..) and why are they used? Not because of slipery hands, but simply because you want same feeling in competitive routine.

Buy magnesium chalk.

matthew.percussion

I don't use my grips for strength stuff even though I compete. But It's not as high level as you... Actually, I've never done a muscle-up with grips...

I hate doing muscle-ups in new grips. The grips just don't bend right. Ehhck.

Look into using chalk or you can find the spray on chalk substitute.

I guess I need to get some real chalk. I've been using the little sticks of chalk you write with.

• 5 months later...

Sorry to dig up this thread. I'll like to ask regarding chalking since I rely quite a bit on chalk as I have sweaty palm, there is quite a bit of chalk left on my xtreme rings after every session. I'll like to know whether the excess chalk left on the rings will affect the durability of the rings or if I need to remove the excess chalk every session. Thanks :)

Sorry to dig up this thread. I'll like to ask regarding chalking since I rely quite a bit on chalk as I have sweaty palm, there is quite a bit of chalk left on my xtreme rings after every session. I'll like to know whether the excess chalk left on the rings will affect the durability of the rings or if I need to remove the excess chalk every session. Thanks :)

More the merrier :wink:

Yeah, we use my XR when we do rings by hanging them from the HB/strap-bar. Since the boy's use chalk on the high rings and ceiling hung rings, my XR have chalked sorta imprinted on them.

Right now they're hanging in my garage and it's probably nice to have that chalk imprinted on them since I have none at home.