This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Serious questions about incorporating h1 with f1

Started by Jure Rakuljic, December 5, 2013 · 21 Replies · 1,168 Views

Jure Rakuljic

Now i dont get this. Im currently training foundation 1 where i split up the training  4days/week. I want too incoporate H1 into my F1 training regim but too do that i would  need too change my training completley and do all the 7 fundamental exercies with the h1 work on one single day if i im right?

 

In the chapter called ''getting started'' at the bottom of the page it says:

F7 = train all seven of the Foundation GST fundamentals in a single day. 

 

Now sure i guess i can do that but its a hughe turn around since im used too only do 4exercies or 3 each day. Now 7 and on top of that the handstand work? Have i missunderstood something maybe?

 

 

Now too my next question in f1 it say: 

 

For low recovery 3days, medium 4days and high 5days. In H1 this numbers changes low recovery 1,2days medium 3 high 4. Is this an error or is the h1 more demanding, hence why the numbers changes?

Jennifer

If you look in the courses section under Plan Your Workout ------->  help   

 

There will be a list of different schedules you can choose.    Take a look at the split schedules.   Maybe what you want is the integrated 4 day split schedule.

Jennifer

Right now I'm doing the 3 day integrated workout (not split) and it's getting rough...lol.

 

I think I will move to the integrated 4day split next week.  

Jure Rakuljic
Jennifer said:

If you look in the courses section under Plan Your Workout ------->  help   

 

There will be a list of different schedules you can choose.    Take a look at the split schedules.   Maybe what you want is the integrated 4 day split schedule.

 

I cant see the 4day foundation 3day h1 (intergrated).  Or the 5day foundation 4day h1 (intergrated) for that matter.   :unsure:

 

Switch from 4-3exercies/day too 7 with h1 on top of that looks hard. I think you cant just switch up like that you need too train on f1 for at least a while. But the hard part when i look at it is the days. I want too intergrate the h1 on my f1 days becouse i dont know how well i will be able too handle the time. If i can get 3days of h1 along with  4days of f1 split among 4days woult be great. Is that possible? (cant find any option for that).

Bipocni

You can always use a pen and paper.  :P

Ravn

I do a five day schedule like this:

Workout 1:

F1: sPL, FL, HBP, RC.

Workout 2:

F1: SL, MN, SLS

+

H1

Workout 3:

F1: sPL, FL, HBP, RC.

Workout 4:

F1: SL, MN, SLS

+

H1

Workout 5:

F1: sPL, FL, HBP, RC.

This is a standard workout template available from the workout planner, and it is quite doable. Like you, F7 is not for me. PM Cory Fair if the workout planner doesn't work for you.

Jennifer

Ok, I see what you are saying.   All the possible permutations are not listed there.   There is a method to the madness that I don't really get yet, but someone more knowledgeable about programming may chime in.   

 

What I am planning to do is  the 4 day foundation split that has two H1 programmed in and then adding another H1 session on Saturday so that I have 3 H1 sessions per week.   I think that should be ok.   It's still less than what I'm doing now.

 

(more is not always better, more is not always better, more is not always better, more is not always better.....)

 

Jure Rakuljic said:

I cant see the 4day foundation 3day h1 (intergrated).  Or the 5day foundation 4day h1 (intergrated) for that matter.   :unsure:

Kate Galliett

Hi Jennifer! I'm curious to follow the replies to this topic as I am also starting F1 and H1 integrated (just tested mastery for F1 yesterday, and will test mastery on H1 tomorrow) and am trying to learn the language, abbrviations, and ideal set-up for training all this stuff.

A question I'm having about H1 is how the heck I test on day 1 of H1....I'm reading and re-reading, but I don't exactly 'get' yet what I'm supposed to be testing on day 1 so I can know my starting point. Any thoughts are welcome!!!

IcedDante

For day 1 start with the wrist warmup, then try to do 5 sets of repetitions for the Wrist Preparation series. I would do One set of each movement, rest, and then do a second set. Take note of which ones you can do with mastery so you can move on to the next one in the series at your next workout session.

 

You'll then test for mastery of PE1 with its integrated mobility. If you can do 60 seconds for 5 sets you can move on, otherwise you'll start with week 1, 5, or 9 in the programming according to how far along you are

-MR
Jure Rakuljic said:

I cant see the 4day foundation 3day h1 (intergrated).  Or the 5day foundation 4day h1 (intergrated) for that matter.   :unsure:

 

Switch from 4-3exercies/day too 7 with h1 on top of that looks hard. I think you cant just switch up like that you need too train on f1 for at least a while. But the hard part when i look at it is the days. I want too intergrate the h1 on my f1 days becouse i dont know how well i will be able too handle the time. If i can get 3days of h1 along with  4days of f1 split among 4days woult be great. Is that possible? (cant find any option for that).

Although there's no option on the planner for 4 day Foundation + 3HS, you can probably just choose 4 day Foundation + 2HS and do the HS workout for three days instead of two if that's what you want. The H1 work should be the same regardless of whether you're doing it twice a week or three times per week.

 

I don't actually use the planner, but for what it's worth, I do Foundation as a 4 day split, and do H1 right after each workout (starting with the wrist series, then the wrist stretches, and finally the HS/PE with its associated iM). I've been doing it like this for at least six months, and about three months ago I added some stretching at the end of the workout (from Kit's book). Altogether, completing F1, H1, and Kit's daily stretching routine never takes me more than 1hr, and I never feel like it's too much work. If anything, H1 and the stretching routine act as a nice cool-down for me, and I usually feel better after the workout than before it (likely because of the stretching).

 

Like Ravn suggested, if you really need the planner to make your workouts consistent, email Cory; it can't be hard to add more options for integrated workouts (says the guy who hasn't programmed in fifteen years).

 

M

MT Nordic

Funny, I do H1 at the beginning.  I love it as a warm-up and it doesn't seem to cause much fatigue to affect my foundation work.  I'm only on PE6, though.  Love the wall wallking.  I do 3 day F1/2 and 2 day H1, though if I feel good I may slip in another day of H1 or F.  I definitely don't do full F7...too much!

ausswe

I like doing h1 first too as it feels like a great warm up to the foundation series.

IcedDante

I used to use Foundation as a warmup to Capoeira. That was back when the moves were simpler and the volume was much lower. There is just no way that is possible now! I have a feeling the same thing will happen with H1 once a certain level is reached.

Jon Douglas

I know it goes against the grain a bit but I think the opposite-- my H sessions are better post-F. Mostly just due to better warmup and shoulders mobilised in all different directions. Can be a traps issue though...

Sol Amarpreet

The wrist excercises are something else though, at least for me.

Jure Rakuljic
Jennifer said:

Right now I'm doing the 3 day integrated workout (not split) and it's getting rough...lol.

 

I think I will move to the integrated 4day split next week.  

 

Ravn said:

I do a five day schedule like this:

Workout 1:

F1: sPL, FL, HBP, RC.

Workout 2:

F1: SL, MN, SLS

+

H1

Workout 3:

F1: sPL, FL, HBP, RC.

Workout 4:

F1: SL, MN, SLS

+

H1

Workout 5:

F1: sPL, FL, HBP, RC.

This is a standard workout template available from the workout planner, and it is quite doable. Like you, F7 is not for me. PM Cory Fair if the workout planner doesn't work for you.

 

I cant find anywhere where it say something like instead of doing F7 one can do the H1 before or after the f1 work is done. (Not when it comes too 3days of h1/week or more).  Is there a scource confirmig that you can skip the F7 and just add in h1-work on top of your foundation work for the day? 

Jon Douglas

I do H1 work 4* a week, on each foundation training day. I wouldn't recommend this if you are working through the PEs because the mobility work is v demanding. The PEs were pretty much active rest by comparison and it worked better for me to have them on a separate day to focus on one thing.

After that though, the difficult aspect of it has become the balance for longer holds. The wrist work and mobility is do able, and I feel I am in need of just putting more hours into a correct HS at this stage. So you can see there are points at which you might want to modify it to dial in on your changing needs as you progress :)

If you are at all unsure about modifying the supplied templates you should stay with them.

Jure Rakuljic

Thanks for all the input i will try it out first when i get healty. 

 

Another question that popped up too me is how the Handstand prep/specific shud be trained? Shud one first be doing the Handstand prep 1-7 (witch aprox takes 1,5years if each exercis is preformed 3months) and then 8-14? (would be around 6years in total). I maybe have missunderstood something. 

 

And my 2 question:

In the daily h1 workout/day there is no Handstand spefiic work mentioned? When shud one be doing these exercises?

NoHiddenCosts

@Jon Douglas, What was your schedule like when you were still working the H1 PEs?

Jon Douglas
NoHiddenCosts said:

@Jon Douglas, What was your schedule like when you were still working the H1 PEs?

3*F7 + 3*H. Its that weighted shoulder mobility; it's not so bad once you reach those benchmarks but while building it initially i found it easy to overdo

juiop

Given that the H1 course workout is really just a series of wrist stretches/mobility/strengthening exercises (with variations in difficulty to make it much easier for ur level) and just one actual strength exercise, i dont see why you cant just add it onto your foundation workout days.

 

In fact when i got the H1 course, and it said it was an addition to F1, thats exactly what I thought. you either add it to one of the F1 workouts, or both. Also, initially before this program was out, I have seen many references on the site showing wrist workouts to be repeated 3-4x/week, so as long as you dont go too intense (you should feel hardly any pain in these exercises).