Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Rant: Chocolate milk is chocolate milk, right? Wrong.

Mikkel Ravn

Sometimes when I'm in the move (Not that often) and in a post-workout state (5 days a week), I grab a chocolate milk at the supermarket if I feel hungry, because although it is not the healthiest drink, at least you know what you get: Milk, sugar and cocoa, and let's face it, you could drink worse stuff after a workout.

So today I just picked up a bottle of Tom's Classic chocolate milk, and when halfway through it, it occured to me to read the label. Turns out it is made with fructose syrup, which we all know will f*ck with your metabolism, and with Carrageenan, which is a suspected carcinogen.

Damn you, Tom's, stop f*cking with a traditional product, and show some responsibility. As you may be able to tell, these things really piss me off. Complicating a recipe like that is totally unnecessary, and is only conceived to make more cash. The irony is complete with the authenticity-adding label 'Classic', which is totally misleading. The classic recipe is with milk, sugar and cocoa, end of story.

/rant end

• Upvote 2

I didn't. I was too pissed off, and though fructose bypasses the human satiety feedback system, I had already lost my appetite out of sheer disgust.

Actually there are decent products on the Danish market, containing nothing but the absolute basic ingredients. It's just revolting that some companies attempt to engineer these previously simple products that I, wrongfully, had a bit of trust in.

Connor Davies

It's just revolting that some companies attempt to engineer these previously simple products that I, wrongfully, had a bit of trust in.

You trusted companies? :facepalm:

Yeah, I'm super naive. Someone strip my of my faith in mankind, it'll make things so much easier...

• Upvote 1

Connor Davies

Yeah, I'm super naive. Someone strip my of my faith in mankind, it'll make things so much easier...

I dunno about that.  Us cynics tend to think we're somehow 'better' than you innocent, naive people, but then you tend to be happier when you're not assuming everything is lies....

Jennifer Rodriguez

A Russian trainer lady once told me to drink chocolate milk after working out.   I always thought it kind of funny and I can't have milk anyways.

Christian Sørlie

I think they mean cocoa mixed in vodka though. Shouldn't be a problem if you're lactose intolerant.

• Upvote 4

Actually, I never had their chocolate milk, but I'm a sucker for pretty much anything they make... guldkarameller :facepalm:

• 4 weeks later...
Scott Pelton-Stroud

Why don't you just buy normal milk and cocoa powder? No corn syrup in that.

Sometimes when I'm in the move (Not that often) and in a post-workout state (5 days a week), I grab a chocolate milk at the supermarket if I feel hungry

Mixing s**t up when you're on the move AND in a post-workout state? Ain't nobody got time for that!

• Upvote 1

Important Information

Please review our Privacy Policy at Privacy Policy before using the forums.