Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

What the differnce between physioterpy, osteopathy, chiropractor?

Boris Mikael Taube

Boris Mikael Taube

HI people

There is so many different study direction some of them: naprapathy, physioterapy, osteopathy, chiropractor? 

Does someone know whats the difference between all these ?

Are they using different method to help the body to get better?

Don't know the difference, but some of them, e.g. chiropractors, can be labelled as alternative therapists, so beware of quacks.

• Upvote 1

Boris Mikael Taube

Ok. 

Don't know the difference, but some of them, e.g. chiropractors, can be labelled as alternative therapists, so beware of quacks.

Ok. i was woundering because im soon going apply to different studys. But i think im going for physioterapy. Thats it practally free in norway. The other studies is privat and cost 10thousand$ each semester 

Well, there you go :-)

The private studies are probably the quacks, since they aren't backed by science, and therefore not backed by government funding.

Tristan Curtis

Don't know if Norway is different to Australia, but here physiotherapy is a part of the public health system, and has wayyy better employment prospects.

I may be wrong, but I think one of the differences is how they tackle a problem. Physiotherapy has a tendancy to fix the symptom, osteopathy is more about whole body balance and chiropracty is about fixing the spine to fix the body? Out of those 3, physio is definitely the one I'd think is more employable because as said, the other two are thought of more as alternative medicine and less likely to be part of the public health system, although I personally think they all have their place. A good osteopath would do a better job than a bad physio.

For example, when I saw a physio for my bad arm she went directly for where it was painful with some soft tissue massage, ultrasound and stretching. The osteopath went right from my pec down to wrist with soft tissue massage (not enough time for sorting out stuff in my traps) and gave me ways to pin and stretch every muscle on the way down to fix imbalances in the whole chain, along with seeing how I stand and trying to balance me out to help with some knee problem. I've no experience with chiro and naprathy. 

• Upvote 1

Boris Mikael Taube

Don't know if Norway is different to Australia, but here physiotherapy is a part of the public health system, and has wayyy better employment prospects.

In norway there also public health system but the doctor have to prescribe you to the physiotherapy to get it covered. Im just wondering wich method will give most knowledge of the human body and how its function(muslce,joints etc) and different method to fixing it

My friend just i finished his physio studies and he knows his shit about how the body works in regard to muscles, joints etc. not sure about the other 2 but I can't imagine chiropractory is a good idea if that is what you are interested in.

• 2 weeks later...

Chiropractic is a complementary and alternative medicine health care profession and an approach to healing concerned with the diagnosis, treatment and prevention of disorders of the neuromusculoskeletal system and the effects of these disorders on general health.

In a nut shell, chiropractic deals with the readjustment of bones to help alleviate or "Fix" ailments. 

Physiotherapy is also known as "Physical Therapy"

Osteopathic Physician(D.O) deals with the adjustment of both bone and muscles. Similar to a chiropractor but not exactly the same. If you go to a hospital with a dislocated shoulder, the doctor who readjusts your shoulder will more than likely be a ostepathic physician.

Naprapathic physician is similar to the chiropractor and the ostepathic physician but they focus on the readjustment of ligaments,

bones, and the muscles

(See Wikipedia for more information)