Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Reflections on the Nutritional Keys to a Long Life

Coach Sommer

Learning to cook is essential, but if you can learn to love it too that would be even better, though I am curious as to how you would go about this task.

I reckon there will always be practical adaptions regarding dieting. Depending on the situation at hand: Economical limitations, small diversity of foods and ethics/ personal beliefs.

as for your problem:

How about milk and eggs? Whey supplement? instead of the meat?

I recently learned to like milk. However, overhearing about long-term effects of allergenic properties is giving me a the paralysis by fear effect a little. I love eggs and eat 2 every morning (with the yolk). I should up it to 3. Then, I'm usually never at home. I spend most my time at univerisity downtown and I eat fast food meats from sandwiches and such. I understand that there are better alternatives, but having discretionary while going to school is hard. I take what's on special :lol:

I find the beginning posts very similar to how The Zone by Dr. Barry Sears (sp?) advises going about eating. Without the measuring aspect.

Anyone know why peanuts and cashews should be "avoided"?

Also he says "no dairy", no milk,cottage cheese...

I believe it's the whole "paleo diet" thing you're seeing there. They recommend only foods from the time of hunter - gatherers. No farmed stuff. So no beans - which peanuts are. And no dairy from cows cause those cavemen weren't milking cows apparently...

Peanuts are legumes, not nuts. They contain lectins and other anti-nutrients which can be problematic. This is in addition to allergies.

If you're still looking to lean out (drop below 10% BF), cashews are high in carbohydrate, eating lots of them, and any nuts in general, won't help that process.

Milk and dairy are also problematic for many people on a digestive and metabolic level.

The concept of Paleolithic nutrition is not based on the fallacy of "eating what cave-men ate," which reduces the ancestral diet to paleolithic re-enactment, i.e. "Everything older is better."

A better and fancier-sounding definition I like is that the ancestral diet "duplicates the evolutionary metabolic milieu."

best,

jason

• 1 month later...

One aspect about Milk / Dairy.

The major onset of Dairy / Milk & lack of tolerance being bad came out...

- majorly in the last few decades.. people have relied on them for centuries..

- More so in the west / developed nations.. Not.. in India or other places

- More because of extensively PROCESSED milk

- Messed up Unnatural Cattle.. with Genetic / Hybrid issues, fortified, pumped with "shtuff"..

..not in traditional mechanisms ..

One thing that is now happening is the promotion of the OLD, Original, Un-modified, Natural 'Desi' Gir Cow in India...

More because of extensively PROCESSED milk ... Messed up Unnatural Cattle.. with Genetic / Hybrid issues, fortified, pumped with "shtuff"..

Excellent point. My wife is asian and cannot tolerate pastuerized milk, yet organic raw milk does not bother her at all.

It should be understood however that the caloric content of raw full fat milk/yogurt is rather high and those who partake of it must be careful to match the quantities which they include in their diet to their level of activity.

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

• 1 year later...

Excellent nutritional presentation by Dr. Terry Wahls were cured her multiple schlerosis and threw away her wheelchair by utilizing food as medicine.

KLjgBLwH3Wc

Dr Wahl's three simple food rules to follow to ensure you will have enough building blocks on hand for optimal function of your brain and reduced risk of excessive inflammation:

1. Eat 9 cups of vegetables and fruit (3 green, 3 sulfur, 3 color) to ensure you have enough B vitamins, minerals (sulfur, iodine, magnesium), antioxidants, and essential fats through food (greens, seafood, grass fed meat, game, wild fish, flax, walnuts)

2. Reduce food allergy risk (go gluten-free and dairy-free)

3. Eat organic, locally grown foods and grow more of your own.

I found it very interesting to note how her recommendations dovetailed so easily with the way my father in law eats; who is in his mid 90s now and still going strong.

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

Wonderful post coach, thank you.

I would also like to recommend, becasue the woman in here said it would be more expensive, if ANY one has an an asian market near their place or leaves near chian town or something, their prices are extremely good. I paid $2 for a pound of seaweed. $20 for FOUR POUNDS of shirmp and ther are very few things in there are are unhealthy. The things that are unhealthy are things like candy. But if anyone has these types of places near their house, i seriously recommend them. Next im going to buy a parrot fish full parrot fish mind you, for only $1.99 per pound. Unheard of. I love it

Important Information

Please review our Privacy Policy at Privacy Policy before using the forums.