Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Your Thoughts on "The Renegade Diet" and "Elliott Hulse"

Shady_Jester

So, I've been watching Elliott Hulse and I saw "The Renegade Diet" in his video descripiton.

What do you think about it? I'm 16 years old, should I practice it?

Or, should I read the Pre, Workout and Post Workout nutrition from Josuha and follow that?

So, is Elliott reliable and is The Renegade Diet the right diet for me (my plan is to increase muscle and lose fat)?

Thanks!

Murray Truelove

If you tell us your current level of activity and height/weight people will be better able to offer advice - however, you are 16 years old so "work out and eat everything" would probably be fine (I AM NOT OFFERING NUTRITION ADVICE). 

Don't start following any fad diets, learn about healthy food choices and set some good habits for the rest of your life. Don't start following any fad diets.

• Upvote 3

If you tell us your current level of activity and height/weight people will be better able to offer advice - however, you are 16 years old so "work out and eat everything" would probably be fine (I AM NOT OFFERING NUTRITION ADVICE). 

Don't start following any fad diets, learn about healthy food choices and set some good habits for the rest of your life. Don't start following any fad diets.

I just wanted to know can I eat everything (not of course chocolate etc.). Basically, I think the principle applies.

Thanks!

I'm 6" 1' and around 170 lbs btw.

You can actually follow both the renegade diet and Josh's nutrition. I can't remember if renegade has meal plans but its a version of intermittent fasting. (Its been a few years since I tried it). I will second Murray's advice, don't follow a fad diet, learn about proper nutrition first. However, if you are a person who enjoys intermittent fasting, applying your new nutrition knowledge to IF will make the renegade diet obsolete

Karl-Erik Karlsen

Yeah - especially for you who are so young, it's not a big deal to follow this diet or another.
What you should focus on, is what the guys above are saying - getting used to eating real food and making good food choices.

IF and all that stuff works, but I think it's more for us older guys who need to focus on little details or don't have as good metabolisms as we used to back when we were 16.

Your metabolism is probably so good that focusing on bullshit details is just going to take your focus away from what's important: eating good food. It might not sound as sexy or cool as "renegade diet" or "warrior diet" or what have you, but it's the truth. And it will get you real results.

Focus on eating healthy food, getting enough protein etc. In fact, if you are going to learn anything about nutrition, I would recommend the scrawny to brawny stuff (sign up for their free 5 day course and ignore what they are saying about supplements). It's simple, but it's hard enough. I can break it down for you in one sentence:

"For every meal you eat, take two portions of protein the size of your palms, three portions of vegetables the size of your fists, 1 additional fist size portion of fruit or starch (potatoes, rice, full grain pasta, full grain bread, sweet potato, whatever you like), 1/4 cup (or 1 thumb size portion) of healthy fat (olive oil, fish liver oil, nuts, avocado for example) and 1 big glass of water". They call it "The ultimate muscle meal" and it's probably just what a guy like you with an excellent hormonal profile and a serious potential for strength and muscle growth needs. If you just do that every day and put healthy food in your portions, then train smart and don't get injured, you'll see massive gains within the first two years for sure.

What you should not do, is start on some random diet, then get demotivated when you don't look like the guys in the commercial after two months, jump to another diet and end up eating crap and drinking protein shakes like everyone else.

Karl-Erik Karlsen

I really wish someone told me that when I was 16.
Together with "stay on the same smart training program for at least a year" and "check your ego at the door, slow and steady progress is better than getting injured and losing months of training".

Murray Truelove

I really wish someone told me that when I was 16.

Together with "stay on the same smart training program for at least a year" and "check your ego at the door, slow and steady progress is better than getting injured and losing months of training".

I wouldn't have listened at 16. I could eat anything I liked till I hit 23/24 without putting on any weight, years 18-25 were basically beer/pizza/nachos/biscuits/takeaway/junkfood... caught up with me though... now I have to exercise moderation. 

Back to Elliot Hulse though, I never realized he endorsed renegade diet. I do enjoy his videos, I like his ranting and how a lot of it is spot on. He probably rubs a few people the wrong way though!

Elliot lost a hell lot of my respect... He talks a lot about self respend and stuff but he doesn't seem to have that much himself. Well, everyone's gotta make a living in some way or another.

Yeah - especially for you who are so young, it's not a big deal to follow this diet or another.

What you should focus on, is what the guys above are saying - getting used to eating real food and making good food choices.

IF and all that stuff works, but I think it's more for us older guys who need to focus on little details or don't have as good metabolisms as we used to back when we were 16.

Your metabolism is probably so good that focusing on bullshit details is just going to take your focus away from what's important: eating good food. It might not sound as sexy or cool as "renegade diet" or "warrior diet" or what have you, but it's the truth. And it will get you real results.

Focus on eating healthy food, getting enough protein etc. In fact, if you are going to learn anything about nutrition, I would recommend the scrawny to brawny stuff (sign up for their free 5 day course and ignore what they are saying about supplements). It's simple, but it's hard enough. I can break it down for you in one sentence:

"For every meal you eat, take two portions of protein the size of your palms, three portions of vegetables the size of your fists, 1 additional fist size portion of fruit or starch (potatoes, rice, full grain pasta, full grain bread, sweet potato, whatever you like), 1/4 cup (or 1 thumb size portion) of healthy fat (olive oil, fish liver oil, nuts, avocado for example) and 1 big glass of water". They call it "The ultimate muscle meal" and it's probably just what a guy like you with an excellent hormonal profile and a serious potential for strength and muscle growth needs. If you just do that every day and put healthy food in your portions, then train smart and don't get injured, you'll see massive gains within the first two years for sure.

What you should not do, is start on some random diet, then get demotivated when you don't look like the guys in the commercial after two months, jump to another diet and end up eating crap and drinking protein shakes like everyone else.

You think this? (to apply at the end of the site) http://www.scrawnytobrawny.com/how-to-be-positive

Anyways, I just wanted to ask you guys what is good literature for me to read (is this good (link above), or should I read a book like 'The Chinese Study')?

So, recommend me things to read (if you can, put a list of recommended reading), so that I can read and have rock-solid nutrition facts, so I can eat more healhty and maximize my gains.

Everyone says that 16 is perfect time to start, so I better not let myself down. And I'm not expecting results (regarding looks), I'm expecting to live a more healthier life.

Thanks!

Read Advanced sports nutrition, Dan Benardot

More general good nutrition can be found in ACSM and NCSF personal training books.

Overall, just find books from credible sources who are unbiased, if they focus on things like cutting out certain foods (like cutting out all meat) or things like IF they are questionable. Learn about macro nutrients and micro nutrients first, then the physiological needs of the body. If something you read doesn't start with that as its foundation, close it immediately. It will save you so much trouble.

Was the china study the one that basically said meat is bad? I can't remember what that one was atm

Edit: OK I Googled it. I haven't personally read it, but it probably isn't something you need to read, as it seems like more of a study on disease than proper established nutrition and "making gains". Could be interesting though. Anyone actually read it?

Not a fan of IF. I agree with whoever said to truly educate yourself on nutrition past some FAD diet.

The China study was so flawed that it would be a waste of ones life to spend the hours required to read it.

Joshua Slocum

The most important thing you can do is eat lots of quality food, especially vegetables and proteins. Anything beyond that should be considered a minor optimization. 

• Upvote 2

@ Alex, hahaha my mother read it and recommended it to me, so I naturally avoided it. Good to know my suspicions were correct :P

• Upvote 1

@ Alex, hahaha my mother read it and recommended it to me, so I naturally avoided it. Good to know my suspicions were correct :P

Hahaha! Good job! You saved yourself some time there!

Karl-Erik Karlsen

If you want to educate yourself on nutrition, that's cool. Reading what Jason said is probably a good idea (haven't read it) - or start studying some biochemistry. That is, if you are interested in theory for theory's sake.

On the other hand, if you are only interested in the practical application of that theory - save yourself the trouble. I remember reading something Ido Portal posted in this forum a while ago, which was spot on. He commented on how nowadays people are getting into more and more micro-detailed stuff and neglecting actually doing the major stuff that works.

So, sure - if you want to be a personal trainer, nutritionist or whatever in a health-related occupation, by all means educate yourself.

But don't waste time reading about all these pubmed studies and crap people throw around all day. Your goal is to build a body that is healthy and performs well, not win a panel debate. Just eat enough good food to reach your goals and don't become a detail-obsessed keyboard-athlete. How many grams of this or that or "eat carbs in the morning", "eat carbs only in the evening" etc of course has some impact, but it's the last 25% of the equation for someone my age and the last 5% of the equation for someone your age.

Focus on what's important and Keep It Simple Stupid.

Yeah, I meant the link on that page "Take the free five day course". They just send you a link every day for five days, some free, basic, sensible advice on nutrition and reaching your goals. They also talk about supplements, but I don't think you should worry about that yet, focus on food. Most supplements except protein powder and omega-3 is a waste of money in comparison with what they yield, anyway.

Karl-Erik Karlsen

I'm sorry if I come off sounding harsh, but there is just so much information out there and most of it has such a limited value unless you are already dialed in with the basic, important 80% outcome stuff. And so many people have so many views on little details of minor importance. If you start to delve too deep in it, you will soon reach a state of "paralysis by analysis" where you spend all your time focusing on and reading up on the stuff that will only net you that last 20% of the outcome. Do yourself a favour and don't fall victim to that. You'll never be perfect, but 80% good is really really good. Compared to 20%, it's all the difference. And yes, most every approach works - you just need to find one that suits your lifestyle and doesn't give you mental/emotional issues with food, which is so much more than just fuel.

• Upvote 1

I'm sorry if I come off sounding harsh, but there is just so much information out there and most of it has such a limited value unless you are already dialed in with the basic, important 80% outcome stuff. And so many people have so many views on little details of minor importance. If you start to delve too deep in it, you will soon reach a state of "paralysis by analysis" where you spend all your time focusing on and reading up on the stuff that will only net you that last 20% of the outcome. Do yourself a favour and don't fall victim to that. You'll never be perfect, but 80% good is really really good. Compared to 20%, it's all the difference. And yes, most every approach works - you just need to find one that suits your lifestyle and doesn't give you mental/emotional issues with food, which is so much more than just fuel.

Will subscribe to the newsletter, and if I have free time over the holidays I will read the books.

Actually, the principle is really simple. Avoid junk, eat clean, train and that's it. And yea, I expect to see at least a bit of results for 90 days. :)

Karl-Erik Karlsen

Yeah, I think that's about it :) getting some junk once a week or so will help you stay on track, absolute restriction is often a problem in the long haul and makes social events less fun.... Unless you are the kind of guy who has to be either/or.

I think in 3 months, with smart programming, you should be able to see some changes, yeah. But 6 months is more realistic. If you watch yourself in the mirror every day, you won't see any change at all - though others might! I guess 1 pound gain per month is possible if you eat well every day and get enough rest/sleep. That is, if you don't want to gain a lot of fat with it. Maybe a bit less, but probably 10 pounds within the year is reasonable.

Best not to obsess over the scale and stuff, just find a lifestyle with eating and training that makes you happy, then forget about results for a year and see where you are at, then. Keeps you from getting hang-ups with your self-image. It's easy to get a distorted view of yourself when you start obsessing with numbers and mirrors. Society is producing a lot of people with low self-esteem and crazy attitudes to eating these days. But if you have an enjoyable plan and stick to it, you'll succeed without thinking about it. It just becomes part of your daily routine and doesn't have to interfere with life and psychological health. And it really doesn't need daily micromanaging either, it just needs doing.

• Upvote 1

Kage, you forget he's 16, he can gain much more than 10 pounds if he isn't already pretty big :) even without gaining fat. It really depends on his goals though.

The most important thing you can do is eat lots of quality food, especially vegetables and proteins. Anything beyond that should be considered a minor optimization. 

Yea, you summed it up pretty well. I'm just going to eat more veggies, subscribe to scrawny to brawny to hear some tips. Today I ate groats and for lunch large pizza (I know, not so healthy, but my parents didn't make anything for lunch). Probably gonna eat tuna or something for dinner. And, try to be consistent with my exercise.

That's it. And oh, not goona to look myself in the mirror (with the goal to flex my muscles) for 90 days. So that I see results.

Wish me luck! Oh, and gonna watch Elliott.

My goals : Definition and more muscle. Ideal weight around 180 pounds. Current : 170 lbs and around 6' 1". Don't know accurate % of my bf, but think it's about 17%. I have fat around the hips that I want to lose.

Most recent pics (about a week ago):

http://imgur.com/amaFCFZ

http://imgur.com/b0D5BPq

http://imgur.com/gcd5iq9

http://imgur.com/10iPCuO

http://imgur.com/7qLU6HG

http://imgur.com/hCPKZkO

I was overweight before (then took up running and did bodyweight for 6 weeks):

http://imgur.com/IJASU4L

Karl-Erik Karlsen

Just give it a year or two, you'll see big changes as long as you eat healthy and train consistently.
Bigger muscles will also lead to more fat loss over time, as muscles are fueled by fatty acids in their resting state. They will increase your caloric needs and start eating away at your body fat stores. Don't worry about it.

Good luck! And most importantly, have fun!

Important Information

Please review our Privacy Policy at Privacy Policy before using the forums.