Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Stall Bar height

Ian Hogg

How important is it that you are able to hang with straight legs on the stall bars?

The reason I ask is that due to the damp often cold climate in Scotland where I live I want to put it up in my garage to protect the wood but the roof height won't allow me to install it high enough to let me hang with straight legs.
I can stand with feet flat on the floor and arms very slightly bent (couple of inches) at the height I can install it at. Obviously this is not ideal but how much will this reduced range of motion affect any gains I may make. I think the start should be the easiest part of the exercise so shouldn't matter too much, am I right?

I could install them outside but it would still be awkward to get sufficient height just because of the way my external garage wall is set up, guttering, window, dip bars, chin up bar etc (I don't want to mount the on house). Thanks for any answers!  

Josh Schmitter

I have similar issues. There is a post slizzardman made a while back about freestanding ones that you could move outside and inside depending on weight. Perhaps just stow it sideways on a dolly and roll it out for use. Lemme see if I can find the post...

https://www.gymnasticbodies.com/forum/topic/3669-pike-and-straddle-pikepancake-stretch-progressions/

There are a bunch of other posts about DIYing them, but all are regular attached to the wall or side of the house.

Also, I'd be more concerned about not being able to go higher then your hands(i.e. Russian Leg Lifts) than having to start with your feet a little off the floor/legs bent.

• Upvote 1

Joshua Slocum

Use a strong weatherproof finish and it should be fine outside. You'll be wanting the increased range of motion, e.g. for side-lever pulls and Russian leg lifts.

• Upvote 1

Thanks guys will need to have a think garage has joists so could probably clear enough junk/old golf clubs etc out the roof space to get legs up there a fair bit must admit hadn't considered Russian leg lifts. If could trust myself to make a free-standing one sturdy enough that would be my ideal solution. Noticed from that link you posted that Joshua Naterman had attached photos which would be perfect as not really following his text :/ Am I missing how attachments work on here or have they been removed when website's been updated?

That's great Tanstaafl thank you! I was thinking of having something lying flat but upright makes more sense as well as being easier to fix on. My stall bars are pretty lightweight so adding that on shouldn't make them unable to be moved. Thanks again!

Josh Schmitter

Glad to get the info out there...I knew organizing and clipping my 3 gig evernote library would pay off sometime :)...lord knows I won't need stall bars for a little while yet.

• Upvote 1