Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Amateur diet for performance

Hanuman

hi im quite new to nutrition but have tried to construct a diet that reflects the needs of perfromance for gst as well as my sprintwork and  light rock climbing activity. i used one of those calorie websites for te sake of ease to construct this (dinner is my pre workout, snack my post workout)

if u guys could give me some feed back id be immensely grateful  :D

Document.rtf

Joshua Slocum

Your macronutrients look OK, though it looks like you might benefit from some more fats.

You need *way* more vegetables. As a rule of thumb, if half your plate isn't green, you don't have enough vegetables. A simple way to do this is to use frozen vegetables. They're cheap, easy, and as nutritious as un-frozen vegetables. 

Personally I don't like having vegetables for breakfast; my stomach doesn't like greens in the morning. So for breakfast I have yogurt, berries and peanut butter. But the rest of the day, every meal has a ton of veggies in it. 

Your macronutrients look OK, though it looks like you might benefit from some more fats.

You need *way* more vegetables. As a rule of thumb, if half your plate isn't green, you don't have enough vegetables. A simple way to do this is to use frozen vegetables. They're cheap, easy, and as nutritious as un-frozen vegetables. 

Personally I don't like having vegetables for breakfast; my stomach doesn't like greens in the morning. So for breakfast I have yogurt, berries and peanut butter. But the rest of the day, every meal has a ton of veggies in it. 

First of all thanks for taking the time to reply your advice is very valuable to me however i do have a few questions :)

1. In order to to do this would i not far exceed the amount of fiber i need? in my experience too much fiber has undesirable effects on ones bowels #painfulcoconutflourmemories

2. Can u recommend a high calorie vegetable as i don't want the sensation of being bloated all day it affects movement and balance in my opinion 

3. how much more fat would u recommend? My recommended daily intake is 66 but that was for when i weighed 171 lbs now i weigh about 167 lbs and i average about 56 to 60 grams a day 

my macros are

Fat - 19.8% 

legendbox-protein.gif Pro - 28.5% 

legendbox-carbs.gif Carb - 51.7%

Thx for ur help :D

Joshua Slocum

First of all thanks for taking the time to reply your advice is very valuable to me however i do have a few questions :)

1. In order to to do this would i not far exceed the amount of fiber i need? in my experience too much fiber has undesirable effects on ones bowels #painfulcoconutflourmemories

2. Can u recommend a high calorie vegetable as i don't want the sensation of being bloated all day it affects movement and balance in my opinion 

3. how much more fat would u recommend? My recommended daily intake is 66 but that was for when i weighed 171 lbs now i weigh about 167 lbs and i average about 56 to 60 grams a day 

my macros are

1. Not really. A cup of kale, for example, has about 5% of your DV for fiber. 

2. You don't want a high calorie vegetable. You're looking for nutrient-rich vegetables. Spinach, broccoli, kale, tomatoes, cabbage, zucchini, etc. If you feel bloated it's likely due to eating too much at once. Small, frequent meals are preferable. Eating your vegetables cooked will probably help, too. 

3. 20% is probably fine. When I eyeballed your diet plan it looked a lot lower than that. 

• Upvote 1

thx for ur help 

sorry i thought u meant i should replace calories from rice etc with calories from vegetables ok thx

i dont suppose theres any problems associated with eating too much veggies? i didnt realise i needed so many as my RDA figures seemed fine was a bit worried about exceeding them :)

Joshua Slocum

No, I didn't mean you should be getting 50% of your calories from vegetables. That would be insane! What I meant is that there should be a bunch of vegetables on your plate for nearly every meal. 

• Upvote 1

Karl-Erik Karlsen

Yeah, not all vegetables are high in fibre either, so I wouldn't worry unless you just dump a ton of one vegetable on your plate every day.
Regarding nutrients: some vegetables will be high in macronutrients (calories you need for energy) and some high in certain micronutrients (vitamins, minerals and trace elements you also need to stay alive).

If you are asking for calories:
Potato, sweet potato, zucchini and beans are good sources of carbohydrate
Avocados are a good source of fats (although most of your fats will probably come from the meat - fish is great). You should supplement with fish liver oil, however - to get more omega-3 fatty acids in your diet. It's generally deficient in the western diet. You could also use nuts, seeds, oils and butter to beef up the fat intake if you need to.

As for micronutrients you shouldn't really worry about it - just make sure you vary your diet and you'll be fine. No deficiency and no excess. Making sure you eat vegetables of different colours from time to time can be a good rule of thumb for variety.

• Upvote 1

i have just realised that im am well under the rda for calcium are supplements a good idea i dont want the added calories

Karl-Erik Karlsen

Or drink some milk once in a while, maybe yoghurt/kefir (good for the gut microflora as well) or a piece of cheese with your salad/omelette, what have you.

Important Information

Please review our Privacy Policy at Privacy Policy before using the forums.