Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Can a bodybuilder be a gymnast?

Parkerson Seward

Same thread title as well I believe.

Well, to be fair that's the video title.

I still don't believe that's his first time on the rings. Yes, very strong, very muscular, very impressive. But no one is that steady the first time they are on long straps.

• Upvote 2

Connor Davies

.....no one is that steady the first time they are on long straps.

True.  Who ever heard of a bodybuilder working their stabiliser muscles?

True.  Who ever heard of a bodybuilder working their stabiliser muscles?

Now, I didn't say that.

If I'm wrong, I would love to hear about someone's rock-solid support experience the very first time they tried the competition straps.

Mikael Kristiansen

This dude is clearly strong so i wouldnt be surprised if its his first time. I have seen an 18 year old tricker do a locked out arms, iron cross on his first time on the rings. The rings had long cables, and the guy weighed about 80 kg, and not buildt like a gymnast. He was pretty strong on the bar doing solid front levers in the circus hall i trained, and I asked him what he was doing.

He was a tricker he said and asked me about the rings and iron cross, planche and back lever. I told him he should be careful, especially about crosses because of elbows shoulders etc. I explained support for him(he clearly didnt know) and said jokingly that he could try to lower to cross to see how it felt. He proceeded to lower to cross with arms locked and held for a couple of seconds. He managed 2 more times before getting tired. I was shocked and told him he should be careful either way, and look up a gymnastics club. He tried back lever afterwards and couldnt get it at all. 

This dude is clearly strong so i wouldnt be surprised if its his first time. I have seen an 18 year old tricker do a locked out arms, iron cross on his first time on the rings. The rings had long cables, and the guy weighed about 80 kg, and not buildt gymnast. He was pretty strong on the bar doing solid front levers in the circus hall i trained, and I asked him what he was doing.

He was a tricker he said and asked me about the rings and iron cross, planche and back lever. I told him he should be careful, especially about crosses because of elbows shoulders etc. I explained support for him(he clearly didnt know) and said jokingly that he could try to lower to cross to see how it felt. He proceeded to lower to cross with arms locked and held for a couple of seconds. He managed 2 more times before getting tired. I was shocked and told him he should be careful either way, and look up a gymnastics club. He tried back lever afterwards and couldnt get it at all. 

Huh, no kidding. That would have been interesting. He was happy enough in support without excessive shaking?

Mikael Kristiansen

He didnt shake at all in support. When I told him to try cross it was as a joke and I was sure he would just bend his arms after just a few centimeters. Of course there was cues that werent perfect, like the shoulder rotation, and he could probably just hold for 3-4 sec, but arms were locked it didnt seem to bother him much to do it. He is an absolute mutant though. The same day he trained 1 arm chin and he was pretty close to doing it. A couple of months later he banged out 3 dead hang reps on each arm from only his index finger hanging from a ring. If he was 60 kg with a small frame and big upper body it would have made more sense, but he was a heavy guy. His lats were quite big but the rest was nothing exceptional.

Daniel Burnham

I have also seen a rock climber able to do cross after it was explained to him by another gymnast.  He lowered down slowly and held it for about a second before falling out of it.  He was a pretty light guy and had a lot of rock climbing experience.  He is also able to do 5+ OACs.

Aren't the lats and chests stabilizers in the rings support position? If so then I think if one was strong in those muscles from other stuff then he probably won't shake much in the rings support.

I've seen a couple of climbers knock out slow wide arm no lean muscle up 1 arm pull up and an iron cross on their first day of trying. It's not a normal thing to see from good climbers except maybe the one arm but these guys are out there.

Connor Davies

I've seen a couple of climbers knock out slow wide arm no lean muscle up 1 arm pull up and an iron cross on their first day of trying. It's not a normal thing to see from good climbers except maybe the one arm but these guys are out there.

Yeah, climbers are beasts.  Generally lacking in pushing strength, but still.

Connor Davies

Which means that this has been discussed before...

Okay here's one for you: Would you rather be a bodybuilder or a gymnast?

Edit: Wait, nevermind, I forgot which forum I was on....

I think most topics of conversation have multiple threads Brian. :)

In this case, it's about the same video and topic which is redundant. This is what the search button is for. Anyways, this isn't anything to make a fuss about. Was just letting the OP know.  :)

Parkerson Seward

In this case, it's about the same video and topic which is redundant. This is what the search button is for. Anyways, this isn't anything to make a fuss about. Was just letting the OP know.  :)

As luxurious as it would be, I usually don't have time to do a thorough search before every post. Unless this single thread is putting GB's servers into overload, I don't think it really matters too much. 

Anyway, we have become sidetracked. The guy in the video surprised me at times.

Connor Davies

As luxurious as it would be, I usually don't have time to do a thorough search before every post. Unless this single thread is putting GB's servers into overload, I don't think it really matters too much. 

Anyway, we have become sidetracked. The guy in the video surprised me at times.

But that's where you find all the best stuff!  Ahh, the forgotten nuggets of wisdom from 3 year old posts....

I must admit, he puts in a good showing for himself.

• Upvote 1

Vincent Stoyas

Not trying to add fuel to fire or anything, but the problem with not spending time with the search function is that, naturally, multiple threads arise. Then when there's 2 (3,4,5 or more threads) the information can get spread so thinly that the information you seek may be in one of them, but not contained in the others. It's just helpful, typically, for everyone to have all the information condensed into one area.

Besides that, it's nice to see the topic to be resurrected and there's some good stories in here. Carry on =)