Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Steady State & Modified PTTP applied to weightlifting

Brandon

Should the steady state training cycle(p.180 BtGB) also be applied to weightlifting?

i.e. for Deadlifts, if 200lbs is your best effort for 3 sets of 5 reps. Should you stay at that weight until 3 sets of 5 is easy(under-load)? I think traditionally people would add weight as soon as they were capable, but I'm not sure if that would allow enough time for your musculature/joints/connective tissue/CNS/ and psyche to completely heal like it says in BtGB.

Coach Sommer

Applying Steady State is to deadlifting is simplicity itself. Choose a weight that is challenging and then stay with that same weight for 8-12 weeks. At the end of the cycle, choose a new working weight for the next 8-12 weeks.

Applying a Modified PTTP cycle to the deadlift is somewhat more complicated. The following is how to apply a Modified PTTP training cycle to deadlifting:

1) Divide your max 3x5 deadlift by 70%; e.g. 200 x .70 = 140

2) Divide the difference between your 100% max and your 70% by 8 weeks: e.g. 200-140=60, 60/8 = 7.5lbs

3) Thus every week 7.5lbs will be added to the deadlift.

4) In 8 weeks, the former max will once again be reached. In week 9 a new max will be established. Continue riding the cycle, until you fail to perform all of the repetitions for all of the sets for two workouts in a row.

5)When utilizing either the Modified PTTP or the Steady State programming for the deadlift I recommend training the deadlift on either a M/W/F or a M/F schedule.

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

Richard Duelley

Thanks for posting this! I have been trying to integrate my deadlift and overhead squats into my training. I think the Monday Friday thing will work perfectly! I will have to tryout the M/W/F thing because usually Wednesday is my day off, do you see this as being a problem Coach?

It also happens that my max is 200 right now as well (up from 100 at the beginning of the summer 2008) :mrgreen:

That is great information. Is there a standard resource for the Modified PTTP cycle and how it applies to various athletic endeavors? It'd be nice to be able to check out a book on the topic because I would never have come up with the info for 70% of my deadlift max, etc.

I'm assuming what you wrote for the 3x5s would also apply to a 1 rep max. So if your 1 rep max was 300lbs, you would start with 210 pounds and increase the load 11.25lbs each week for 8 weeks. Does this system hold true for all weightlifting? Or is it specifically for deadlifts?

One last note. Have you read Mark Rippetoe's Starting Strength book? I haven't had a chance yet, but I'm wondering if this system is similar to what he recommends.

Thank you very much for taking time out of your day to answer these questions. I think I speak for everyone on here when I say we really appreciate it.

Coach Sommer

No, I have not yet read Starting Strength, but it is certainly on my list to read in the future.

Yes, the Modified PTTP cycling method is applicable to all movements. Primarily I would use it to focus on large multi-joint compound movements. I have never used it for singles, so I am not sure as to the end result with that repetition range. In the past, I have focused on the 3-5 rep range.

An interesting combination to experiment with would be 2x3 overhead squats or full back squats followed by 2x3 deadlifts on M/F integrated with the GB WODs. In this instance, I would perform either the Steady State or the Modified PTTP lifts prior to the GB WODs to avoid compromising the weekly increases through fatigue. This is a combination I have considered for some time, but have not implemented it with my own athletes due to a possible risk of excessive performance reducing hypertrophy.

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

Richard Duelley

I think I am going to give it a try. I am not worried about the hypertrophy (I am a fitness enthusiast) because the possible strength gains just from the dead lift and overhead squat are tremendous.

-Ricky

An interesting combination to experiment with would be 2x3 overhead squats or full back squats followed by 2x3 deadlifts on M/F integrated with the GB WODs. In this instance, I would perform either the Steady State or the Modified PTTP lifts prior to the GB WODs to avoid compromising the weekly increases through fatigue. This is a combination I have considered for some time, but have not implemented it with my own athletes due to a possible risk of excessive performance reducing hypertrophy.

Coach,

If your athletes were to follow WOD's like the ones on this site, would you be able to use a steady state cycle? I say this because the frequqency that each specific workout would be repeated again would be longer than a week and so it would be longer than 8-12 weeks that you would stick to the same progressions in this case; or would they be changed so that they follow a structure more like in BTGB?

Also, where you say the possible risk of reducing hypertrophy, up to a point do you feel that a gymnast benefits from the hypertrophy created up to a point? So much so that you want this to take place?

It sounds like a very interesting combination.

Thanks.

Jason Stein

Coach Sommer,

This is very interesting food for thought, as I've been searching for ways to include deadlifting and back-squatting within the GB WODs.

For my particular endeavors, I am also seeking to avoid excessive hypertrophy, though I'm already seeing a bit of upper-body hypertrophy from the ring strength work. Mostly because I was, shall we say, a skinny guy beforehand. But I'm not interested at all in putting on any more weight, so perhaps reduced weight plus sets of 5 will build more of that "wiry" strength of which Pavel speaks.

I'm going to experiment with 8-week Modified PttP cycle on Mon/Wed for the back-squat. I also plan to try static holds for 3-5 breaths in the bottom position of the back-squat. We'll see how it sorts out by the GB seminar in May.

Additionally, my friend has finished a cycle very similar to a Modified PttP cycle for the press. He's been practicing the GB WODs, too, so I'll be curious to hear his results. Hopefully he'll find time to post!

best,

jason