Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Potentially toxic antibiotics

Justin Rawley

Justin Rawley

A class of antibiotics known as Flourinated Quinolones or simply Flouroquinolones (which included Cipro and Levaquin) appear to cause extremely adverse reactions in some people affecting connective tissue (tendons and ligaments) by interfering with regrowth, regeneration and the natural repair of such tissue. Spontaneous tendon ruptures have been directly linked to the drug, usually occurring within a few days to weeks of usage. While the drug does not affect most people in this manner at normal doses, it does seem to have a devastating effect on individuals who are particularly susceptible. Because of the long time-course of action, ranging from days up to 18 months, it is sometimes difficult to trace connective tissue problems back to use of the drug. Only after much anecdotal evidence was gathered from otherwise normal athletes and individuals who suddenly presented with unexplainable connective tissue problems and who had used the drug in the previous year did doctors see the longer time scale of potential harm that this drug can cause. Also, over protracted periods or many cycles of use, people who were not previously affected start to report symptoms as well. While this class of drugs constitutes extremely strong antibiotics (often used after surgery to prevent infection) in most cases, a different class of antibiotics is equally effective. Some physicians are now advising patients to avoid this class of drugs accept in life or death situations. Effects may be cumulative so even if you have taken one of these drugs previously (even if you did not experience any problems) you probably should avoid future use.

As this is particularly pertinent to athletes, I thought I'd pass it along.

• 3 years later...
FREDERIC DUPONT

When I cleaned up the home pharmacy last year, I found that in Oct of 2006, I was prescribed OFLOXACIN 100mg. I took 6 tablets a day for a few days.

13 months later, I suffered a severe ankle sprain, another 17 months later I ruptured the Achilles of the same leg; 6 months after, I partially tore the left sub-scapularis tendon; and 18 months after that a plantar fasciitis. It is impossible to say if there is a causal relation (after all, it might be decrepitude! :shock: ), but I remember well suffering from intermittent Achilles tendonitis on both sides in 2007 & 2008.

Please make a note of this list and verify that you do not take these if you can avoid it; there are alternatives on the market that will not cause harm to your tendons.

- Ciprofloxacine

- Enoxacine

- levofloxacine

- Moxifloxacine

- Norfloxacine

- Oxofloxacine

- Pefloxacine

(the list is incomplete & I am unsure if these are the commercial names, or the active substances)

These antibiotics target anaerobic germs; they are often used against dental abscess or cystitis.

Be safe

Fred

• Upvote 1

Quick Start Test Smith

I have heard of these. Thanks for the warnings, guys!

Important Information

Please review our Privacy Policy at Privacy Policy before using the forums.