Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Eating before sleeping

Connor Davies

Connor Davies

Yes or no?  I know some bodybuilders like to chug down a protein shake right before they go to bed, but I've also heard that it uses energy to digest that would otherwise go towards healing and growth.  So should I do it or will it hamper recovery?

Jean-Rene Losier

I always eat before bed, I just don't eat a huge meal so it doesn't put too much stress on my body at night. I just eat a bowl of cereal or something along those lines. Simply something so that my body has that little extra something to feed off of during those 8 or so hours of sleep.

Josh Schmitter

There's a ton of back and forth on this, but the bottom line I've gathered is that sleep trumps all. Do whichever one gives you better rest. If both are equal...I'm out :ph34r: .

Leandro Santos

You shouldn't eat before sleeping. When we sleep we are wanting to rest our bodies, how will your body rest well if your stomach is working to digest the food that is in your stomach?

Eating before sleep frequently causes indigestion and sleep disturbs. The "hungry" feeling make many people wake up at night wanting to eat is not because they are hungry at all, it's becuase they stomach is tired. These nutriton/bodybuilding concepts are wrong, they want we to be eating unstopable because they say that the human burns food like nothing and we need to eat, eat and eat. This is wrong and just cause distruction on your system.

I recommend you to ready the book: Consels on Diet and Food by Ellen G White. 

https://egwwritings.org/

Do what makes you feel most recovered in the morning. Personally I find if I eat a meal an hour or so before bed then it's no big deal. If I eat a huge amount and have thoroughly stuffed myself then my sleep does suffer. Sometimes if I haven't eaten enough through the day I feel too hungry to sleep and need some food. As ever just don't overthink it.
A bigger issue I find is staying hydrated throughout the night but not needing to get up and piss. 

• Upvote 1

Daniel Burnham

For me it depends on my activity. Oftentimes I workout until pretty late. If I didn't eat after my workout I wouldn't be able to sleep due to hunger and usually wake up achey. In this case I will eat a full meal. Wait just a bit before bed so it doesn't feel like I am rolling over on a full stomach and will sleep deeply and soundly. I think having the substrate to recover is better in this case.

If I haven't done a workout late I generally will eat about 1-1.5 hours before bed. I honestly don't feel much of a difference. Sometimes if I do eat really close to bed I will wake up feeling famished but I don't think sleep is affected. I know there might be a hormonal advantage to waiting.

My recomendation is to eat if you are hungry. Keep it relatively fast digesting. If you are afraid to eat before bed but still feel hungry you can try camomile tea with honey and milk. Glutamine also usually eliminates hunger you could try glutamine with a little coconut oil.

Connor Davies

A bigger issue I find is staying hydrated throughout the night but not needing to get up and piss. 

I liked this, but I don't actually like this. :angry:

• Upvote 1

Josh Schmitter

You guys don't have an IV drip set up yet? I thought that was standard practice nowadays.

• Upvote 1

I eat cottage cheese and sweet potatoes before bed :) Without fail I feel amazing on waking, my muscles feel full, and I jump out of bed ready to devour a large cow! This concoction also tastes very similar to the Thanksgiving classic marshmellow yams :D

Important Information

Please review our Privacy Policy at Privacy Policy before using the forums.