I started with 5/week, went to 3xF7, went to the regular split over 6 days (so each 3x a week) and now am back with the 4 day. This has been by far the most productive so far, somewhat to my surprise
This forum is archived information and is no longer active.
What schedule do you do?
Started by Jasper, October 17, 2013 · 59 Replies · 1,952 Views
Jasper said:It's encouraging for me to see that people who are considerably more advanced than me are doing the lower splits. When I started F1 I thought I'd absolutely have to do F7 3 times a week or I'd have no chance of progressing enough to follow the schedule week by week. As it turns out I haven't been able to follow the schedule week by week anyway regardless!
At this stage I'm feeling like my honeymoon period with F1 is over so I need to change something. I've been on the same elements for soooo very long without progress that I'm starting to not be as enthused about doing it. Plus, as I do my workout first thing in the morning before the bedlam begins when the kids get up, the mornings are getting dark and cold which doesn't help.
I think I'll try out the 4 day split for a month or 2 and see how it goes.
Hi, have no idea how you train. But if you are stuck innsame plase for a loooong time. It could help to forse the extra 2 reps on secs in total in agony. Try to love the discomfort ![]()
I figure seeing as f1(7) is standard for testing I should do it and it is doable for me 3 times a week until the volume increases where I just switch back to two times a week but always f1(7). As for having exercises on different weeks such as some pes on week 9 and some on week 1 well it doesn't matter for me it is about the total volume of the workout that decides when I change from 3 times a week until 2. If I feel thee volume is high and I feel more drained than usual I take extra rest days. Although I hate rest days...... Plus I'm getting back into the swing of things again with climbing so I will probably review my training template now that I'm climbing harder.
I do the 4 day split with H1 on top of the ABH, MN, SLS days. It's working out nicely for me.
dritar said:I do the 4 day split with H1 on top of the ABH, MN, SLS days. It's working out nicely for me.
Lol, ABH days ![]()
Jon Douglas said:Lol, ABH days
Yeah there is no use calling it the SL days cuz most of us will never get past ABH ![]()
Honest slip of the keyboard. I meant to write SL, I did
.
Jon Douglas said:Lol, ABH days
Yes, some of us have ABH days. ![]()
FredInChina said:Yes, some of us have ABH days.
Don't worry, some day you'll graduate to.... ABR ![]()
I'll try FL, sPL, HBP, RC on Monday, H1 on Wednesday and Mn, SL, SLS on Friday for the next microcycle. 4 days a week or F7 is too much for me, plus I'm new to working a manual job. Maybe I just need time to adapt to it.
Jon Douglas said:am back with the 4 day. This has been by far the most productive so far, somewhat to my surprise
Same experience!
I've tried doing F7 2x/week. I find that this doesn't work so well for me, because I like to do skill work afterwards, and while I'm fine doing skills after 3-4 foundation exercises, doing all 7 tires me out a bit too much. I also tend to start running out of motivation around exercise 5 or 6.
JukkaL said:At first I started with the 4-day split. Then changed to F7 twice a week to save time, but after a while I was getting too tired towards the end of each F7 workout. Also I was not very enthusiastic about beginning each F7 workout. So changed back to the regular 4-day split and it seems to work better for me.
I did the same as you but I tried 3 x F7 and 3xH1 week. Way too much for me. I also found the 4 day F1 schedule plus 2 days of H1 became tiresome as it was taking up all but 1 day of the week and I was struggling to get in dedicated stretching time.
I had a couple of months distraction with a girl over the summer and since then I've been doing F7 again. When I initially tried it I was smoked near the end so I wait for my days off and can do 2 a day on them. Because of the way my rota works I do something like this:
W1
Mon: F7
Tue: H1
Thu F7
Fri: H1
W2:
Mon: F1 - FL, sPL, HBP, RC
Tue: H1
Wed: F7
Thu: H1
Fri: F1 - SL, MN, SLS
Doing 2 a day seems to work really well for me and my days off seem to coincide well with this schedule. I feel quite tired at the end of the day after F7 but I've usually walked the dog 4-5 miles as well. Definitely making my best progress so far as it allows me plenty of time to recover and focus on Stretching & Flexibility work on other days. I'd definitely recommend giving it a go ![]()
Hi everyone. When you make your workout in the workout creator tool, do you somehow save it or print it out? I would like to keep a paper copy in my training journal, rather than have to copy the entire workout schedule into my notebook. Or am I not seeing an obvious easy way to follow the workout I've created in the template creator without having to print it out? thank you!
I also did the same reasoning Jasper, with the difference that I go for F7 whenever I know I won't have the time for a split, and this occurs often.
I tried F7 again today, and found it simply took too long; particularly striking since Movement and Rings are yet to be added in a structured way to my workload. Perhaps this is an option when I have the goal movements and they are short, sharp sets, but for now 4/wk is easiest logistically and psychologically, short and to the point.
How can I put this... Foundation to me is pre-training, getting up to speed and using simple tools to build more complex tools with which you enter serious GST. I can handle more volume than I'm doing, and in some ways I would like to because who doesn't like working hard? But the priority is to acquire those 7 basic strength goals; endurance work comes after basic strength is established. So I need to pick what's giving me the best return on my time and letting me put up the best progress each week.
So for now it's better to be champing at the bit rather than working too hard, because I need to get to that minimum standard. This isn't conditioning yet, this is still putting the tools together. I don't care about doing hundreds of pushups; adding reps of HBP is a far higher return for time invested. Roeslers over muscle ups. Yknow. The benefits I've seen so far are incidental.
Get strong, THEN add reps. Whenever I feel I want to add more work for the sake of it, I remind myself of that ![]()
What do you lovely people think?
I personally felt that whilst F7 was doable (at the level I'm currently at anyway), it was simply taking too long to complete and impacting on my time too much. I've now changed to a split and am much happier with how long the routine is taking. I can concentrate more on correct execution without looking at the clock the whole time. Those without demanding kids might have more spare time than me though!!
The reason I started doing F7 in the first place though was because I felt that there would be no way that I could possibly progress at the prescribed rate with only doing each exercise twice a week. I felt that 3 times a week might make the progressions more achievable. I was wrong! I think I'm progressing at the same (unbelievably slow) rate at twice a week as I was at 3 times a week.
Yeah, i think I'll experiment with the 5 day split, mostly to get another pl session in per week...
For the avarage of people the minimum stimulation is perform a movement 2 times a week, the only one situation where perform less then 2 times is when you pratice similar movement that have a reasonable carryover. talking about advanced schedule if you try HBP one day, PL push up another day, XR HSPU on another day you will have some carryover since you are using a pattern (that is common between 2 skills) at least 2 times a week. Italian ational male team peforms the same workout type 3 days a week.
I am struggling with this right now because I see what you are saying, JD about time invested vs rate of return. But I don't see Foundation as pre-training for GST because I am older than most of you. I see Foundation as a way to get off the hamster wheel of overtraining and injury (which is why I'll never join crossfit even though it seems appealing to me). With Foundation, I can get daily exercise that is very systematically planned for me, appeals to my perfectionist side, and will improve my strength & mobility without causing me injury.
I think that's the beauty of Foundation. It can be different things to different people. My kids on the other hand are all about the fancy movements. They will no doubt surpass me at some point, but I will be glad to have been perhaps a small motivation for them.
All of that blah blah just to say, this week, I'm going to try the 3x week split.
Jon, I feel the same way as you. I prefer the 4-day split, but when work or family life don't allow for it, I occasionally do F7 twice a week. I prefer not to because I then don't get to do H1 or any stretching work post-workout (Having an energetic pre-toddler, a wife, and a professional career, I can't really spend much more than an hour at a time on working out).
I'm keeping it at 4 1-hr work-outs per week for now (F + H1 + stretching), and though I'm tempted to do more, I rather focus on some outdoor activities a few times per week as I place a high value on my time outdoors (mostly x-country skiing while pulling my son in a sled at the moment).
Once M1 comes out, depending on its format, I'll probably decrease the H1 frequency to twice per week and add M1 to my two lightest F days. If M1 is too intense though, I'll probably have to switch things up to 5 GST workouts per week. Until then, I'll continue doing what I'm doing, knowing that I'm slowly adapting more and more to the volume and preparing myself to handle the addition of M1.
Speaking of M1, I'm actually quite surprised that there hasn't been a greater demand for it. So far, there's been a lot of anticipation around when F3/4 will be coming out, or about the Hungarian or R1, but I'm shocked no one is clamouring for M1's release. My impression is that M1 should be most people's next logical step (except for the few mutants who are ready to move onto F3
). The dynamic work in M1 should eventually bring everyone's athletic ability to a higher level than F and H alone, and the best part is that it can be started by everyone as there are no pre-requisites. In my experience, dynamic movement is the first thing to go with age, so as we all get older, I think the movement series will be much more valuable from a health point of view then the ring series (though I'm quite excited about the latter as well).
I've been holding back from lobbying for a prioritization of M1 over F4 or R1, but have been holding back (until now
) due to what I've felt was a lack of interest from others on the board, so consider this my first appeal to the masses to push for M1's release by February.
-MR said:Speaking of M1, I'm actually quite surprised that there hasn't been a greater demand for it. So far, there's been a lot of anticipation around when F3/4 will be coming out, or about the Hungarian or R1, but I'm shocked no one is clamouring for M1's release. My impression is that M1 should be most people's next logical step (except for the few mutants who are ready to move onto F3
). The dynamic work in M1 should eventually bring everyone's athletic ability to a higher level than F and H alone, and the best part is that it can be started by everyone as there are no pre-requisites. In my experience, dynamic movement is the first thing to go with age, so as we all get older, I think the movement series will be much more valuable from a health point of view then the ring series (though I'm quite excited about the latter as well).
I've been holding back from lobbying for a prioritization of M1 over F4 or R1, but have been holding back (until now
) due to what I've felt was a lack of interest from others on the board, so consider this my first appeal to the masses to push for M1's release by February.
I'm well up for M1. You need to finish F2 to start R1, the same with F3/4. M1 is the only program I could actually start today. I think we all want it, it's just not as glamorous as Rings or as mysterious as Hungarian.
Well, from my point of view it's fairly simple-- we went into more structured depth in Rings and Movement than Foundation at seminar, so I have material to work on for those two while swinging blind a bit on my F ![]()
You're right though, it will be excellent to get those, particularly for leg work
I'm very keen on the movement series but I just have no idea how ill eventually be able to incorporate foundation rings movement and handstands into my training for the week and I have rock climbing on top of that! Although h1 is still more warm up for me ATM and I have switched to 4 day foundation split as it just seems like the best bang for buck. I have noticed many people saying the same thing.