This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

What schedule do you do?

Started by Jasper, October 17, 2013 · 59 Replies · 1,952 Views

Jasper

I've been doing F1 and H1 since about March and have been following the '3DayHSInt' schedule (F7 Mon, Weds, Fri and H1 Tues, Thurs and Sat).

I haven't felt like I'm overdoing it but I feel the workout has begun to take too long and that's made me doubt whether I'll be inclined to keep this up for the long term. (With my rubbish rate of progress it'll be a very very long time before I've even finished F1 let alone started on the SE's)

So I've decided to change to a split routine so that I'm spending less time on it each day. I'm now doing FL, sPL and SL on Mon and Thurs, MN, HBP and RC on Tues and Fri (I'm not doing SLS right now due to a knee op) and then HS1 on Weds and Sat. I'm hoping that'll feel more sustainable.

What's your opinion on my new routine? I'm interested to know what other people do too. Some of you guys seem to do so much, including other training too. I really wonder how you get time!

Jon Douglas

I also do that 4-day-per-week schedule, with handstand work on those days too. I add a little to it, but it doesn't take me too long to get through.

Bipocni

I just do the standard 4 day split, but I like your split.  Bodyline work on one day, bending? (what's a good term here?) work the other.

Jon Douglas

Oh my misunderstanding, I actually do the regular 4-day split. I look at it as upper body vs. trunk/lower body, with overlap.

Jasper

Ah, I thought I was doing a regular split. I took it from the "4 Day Training/12 Week Cycle Example" from https://gymnasticbodies.customerhub.net/cycles and just added the H1 exercises into Weds and Sat. Which split is actually the regular one then?

KingJR

Personally, I do the 5 day F1 template and the 4 day H1 template. So I do my F1 workout first, then follow it by the H1 routine. Takes me about 1h30 to complete.

Jon Douglas
Jasper said:

Ah, I thought I was doing a regular split. I took it from the "4 Day Training/12 Week Cycle Example" from https://gymnasticbodies.customerhub.net/cycles and just added the H1 exercises into Weds and Sat. Which split is actually the regular one then?

Day 1: sPL, FL, HBP, RC

Day 2: SL, Mn, SLS

 

I add handstand material to both of those and take Wed and Sun off.

Riku Calderón

I do F7 and H1 as you did originally. Works for me. But im in the bekinning still.

Keilani Gutierrez

first I started with 5 day and H1 tues/thurs 

 

then I switched to 4 day and H1 on Wednesday and Saturday. 

 

what I really created momentum with is 4day with H1 on Tuesday/Thurs. 

 

just gotta experiment a little but know that eventually, the right schedule will fit to you, you cannot make it fit to you, which is what i wasted a lot of my time on. 

Jasper

It's encouraging for me to see that people who are considerably more advanced than me are doing the lower splits. When I started F1 I thought I'd absolutely have to do F7 3 times a week or I'd have no chance of progressing enough to follow the schedule week by week. As it turns out I haven't been able to follow the schedule week by week anyway regardless!

 

At this stage I'm feeling like my honeymoon period with F1 is over so I need to change something. I've been on the same elements for soooo very long without progress that I'm starting to not be as enthused about doing it. Plus, as I do my workout first thing in the morning before the bedlam begins when the kids get up, the mornings are getting dark and cold which doesn't help.

 

I think I'll try out the 4 day split for a month or 2 and see how it goes.

Murray Truelove

I did F1(7)  Mon/Wed/Fri - H1 Tue/Thur at the beginning but it just started taking too long and was too much work.

I now do F1(a) Mon/Thu and H1/F1(b) (I do H before F) Tue/Fri  so 4 days a week with 3 recovery days and if I feel like going climbing one day a week it doesn't negatively effect my F1/H1. Also means that if a training day gets interrupted it's easy to shuffle round so my volume stays consistent week on week. 

ausswe

I climb Monday Wednesday and Friday and then do f1(7) directly after climbing but once the volume for foundation increase I change it to f1(7) only 2 times a week instead of 3. So week 1-6 pretty much is 3 times a week and week 7-12 is 2 times a week. I feel like with the higher volume I require a little more rest because of the climbing. I do handstand 2-4 times a week depending on time because I feel like It is so quick and easy It doesn't impact my recovery time for anything else.

Bipocni
ausswe said:

I climb Monday Wednesday and Friday and then do f1(7) directly after climbing but once the volume for foundation increase I change it to f1(7) only 2 times a week instead of 3. So week 1-6 pretty much is 3 times a week and week 7-12 is 2 times a week. I feel like with the higher volume I require a little more rest because of the climbing. I do handstand 2-4 times a week depending on time because I feel like It is so quick and easy It doesn't impact my recovery time for anything else.

How does this work once you're on say, block 3 for some exercises and block 1 for others?

Jon Douglas

Its not a 'lower' split at all :)

I think a lot of us were a little put off by what we perceived as a big drop in volume when foundation came out, and jumped immediately to the five day schedule, at a minimum.

With a little time and consistency we have confirmed for ourselves that more is not better, more is only better if you can benefit from it :) otherwise you are not just wasting time, but setting back your recovery

As Coach says, there is no benefit in forcing yourself to do what you are not suited to. It isn't always easy to realise that a statement like that actually applies to yourself too :)

Jasper
Jon Douglas said:

Its not a 'lower' split at all :)

 

I suppose what I really meant was 'less than what I was doing'. It's encouraging to know that the guys who's progress I admire are on a split routine too, so hopefully I'm on the right track.  :D

Joshua Slocum
Jasper said:

It's encouraging for me to see that people who are considerably more advanced than me are doing the lower splits. When I started F1 I thought I'd absolutely have to do F7 3 times a week or I'd have no chance of progressing enough to follow the schedule week by week. As it turns out I haven't been able to follow the schedule week by week anyway regardless!

 

At this stage I'm feeling like my honeymoon period with F1 is over so I need to change something. I've been on the same elements for soooo very long without progress that I'm starting to not be as enthused about doing it. Plus, as I do my workout first thing in the morning before the bedlam begins when the kids get up, the mornings are getting dark and cold which doesn't help.

 

I think I'll try out the 4 day split for a month or 2 and see how it goes.

 

 

Doing F7 3 times a week is ill-advised for most people. You'll find it's often possible to progress faster by doing less work. The reason being that gaining strength is a two-step process: you work out, and then you give your body time to grow stronger. If you work out too much, your body doesn't have enough recovery time in between workouts, and you stall your progress. It's best to start with a smaller amount of work and gradually add on more until you find the amount that works for you. 

Keilani Gutierrez
Joshua Slocum said:

Doing F7 3 times a week is ill-advised for most people. You'll find it's often possible to progress faster by doing less work. The reason being that gaining strength is a two-step process: you work out, and then you give your body time to grow stronger. If you work out too much, your body doesn't have enough recovery time in between workouts, and you stall your progress. It's best to start with a smaller amount of work and gradually add on more until you find the amount that works for you. 

I hear you when you say that and a small voice in my head sometimes suggests even bumping down to 3-day a week but i haven't committed to it, since i'm already in a groove with the 4 day schedule. 

Jon Douglas

Does say in the course that the four day per week schedule will suit most people. Even my substantial ego has yielded to superior returns for less effort

Murray Truelove
Jasper said:

It's encouraging for me to see that people who are considerably more advanced than me are doing the lower splits. When I started F1 I thought I'd absolutely have to do F7 3 times a week or I'd have no chance of progressing enough to follow the schedule week by week. As it turns out I haven't been able to follow the schedule week by week anyway regardless!

 

At this stage I'm feeling like my honeymoon period with F1 is over so I need to change something. I've been on the same elements for soooo very long without progress that I'm starting to not be as enthused about doing it. Plus, as I do my workout first thing in the morning before the bedlam begins when the kids get up, the mornings are getting dark and cold which doesn't help.

 

I think I'll try out the 4 day split for a month or 2 and see how it goes.

I've been on the first PE for 5 of the 7 elements for 25 weeks - Poor ROM, mobility, flexibility and compression has made some exercises impossible (I'm looking at you deck squats!) and others very challenging (tuck ups) whilst HBP and RC I'm nearly on PE3. I am making some progress every day though, so I'll get there eventually, even deck squats only require a little modification (I hold a small weight where only a few weeks ago I needed a heavy weight!). 

 

Because of the above F1b days are my weakest link and having them on a day of their own really changes the focus of that session. When they were mixed in with F1(7) I often rushed them of skipped them all together. Something to consider when picking a schedule.

Jasper
Jon Douglas said:

Even my substantial ego has yielded to superior returns for less effort

Lol.

 

I think when I first started F1 I did start with that for a week or 2 but then I bought H1 and integrated that. F7 seemed like the only way to progress then. I'm pleased I asked the question now. I'm looking forward to my new rapid progress! 

Jasper
Murray Truelove said:

I've been on the first PE for 5 of the 7 elements for 25 weeks

I'm about the same. I was on 5x 15 of MN PE1 a while ago and then reassessed my form. I've now been back at 5x 9 for months!

 

SL PE1 I'm still on the first microcycle. Although 3x 24 felt okish this week. Deload next week. Whoop!

Bissen

I've been doing F1 for 5 times a week (but not progressing very well), so I'll lower to 4 days, and then add H1 on one or two days.

Shaolintobbe

What do you think about this schedule I´m going to do:

 

Week1:

mon: FL, sPL, HBP, RC (workout A)

 

wed: Mn, SL, SLS, HS (workout B)

 

Fri: Workout A

 

Week2: B, A, B 

Week3: A, B, A etc

Keilani Gutierrez
Shaolintobbe said:

What do you think about this schedule I´m going to do:

 

Week1:

mon: FL, sPL, HBP, RC (workout A)

 

wed: Mn, SL, SLS, HS (workout B)

 

Fri: Workout A

 

Week2: B, A, B 

Week3: A, B, A etc

whatever works for you :) you gotta try it out for at least 3 weeks to see if you're body is telling you to slow down, keep it up or kick it up a notch. 

 

you have that option to choose, you just have to be gentleman enough to let your body do the choosing for you

JukkaL

At first I started with the 4-day split. Then changed to F7 twice a week to save time, but after a while I was getting too tired towards the end of each F7 workout. Also I was not very enthusiastic about beginning each F7 workout. So changed back to the regular 4-day split and it seems to work better for me.