This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

First Form Check

Started by William, September 19, 2013 · 104 Replies · 2,965 Views

Riku Calderón

I dont have the knee thing you explained. Everyone is unique.

federicoC

I never experience that William, sorry. Congrats on mastery! For HBP/PE2 what you can do is to perform again 5x9, and then decide. Let your body enjoy the deload week, after which you should try anyway to start a minicycle for it.

Jon Douglas

The only thing I can immediately think of about your legs is possibly your foot position, especially if you are unused to toe point. Play with it a little, whether you prefer to be on tiptoe, balls of feet or top with feet totally pointed. This is flexible for many exercises, although you'll need to watch how it affects the height of your hips and legs.

William
federicoC said:

I never experience that William, sorry. Congrats on mastery! For HBP/PE2 what you can do is to perform again 5x9, and then decide. Let your body enjoy the deload week, after which you should try anyway to start a minicycle for it.

Thanks, i will do this set again for hbp - looking forward for deload, never did this in my whole life :D

 

 

Jon Douglas said:

The only thing I can immediately think of about your legs is possibly your foot position, especially if you are unused to toe point. Play with it a little, whether you prefer to be on tiptoe, balls of feet or top with feet totally pointed. This is flexible for many exercises, although you'll need to watch how it affects the height of your hips and legs.

I never thought about my foot position while exercising push ups and shrugs. Good idea! 

Will pay attention to that next time.

To describe the feeling in my knees...feels like the can't handle the pressure to be straight the whole time, not sure if its a tendon that makes problems or the patella or so, the leg muscles feel strong everytime :)

William

Today i filmed myself again...please have a look:

 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6x0c4oK0Nac

 

Thoughts about:

 

1.Twisting squats aren't my favourite. Like you see the twisting on the mat isn't easy, tried it with socks, without etc. 

2.Cossack squats, here i forgot to move the arms back in in 1-2 reps, but i couldn't film more today

3.tuck ups feels good, with my quads/legs i always can touch my abs, hope thats good compression.

4.arch back holds are really hard for my legs backside.

 

 

Thanks for your time!

 

William

LateStarter@46
William said:

 

3.tuck ups feels good, with my quads/legs i always can touch my abs, hope thats good compression.

 

Your compression looks fantastic - nice one!

William

Anyone else? What about the other exercises?

Jon Douglas
William said:

Today i filmed myself again...please have a look:

 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6x0c4oK0Nac

 

Thoughts about:

 

1.Twisting squats aren't my favourite. Like you see the twisting on the mat isn't easy, tried it with socks, without etc. 

2.Cossack squats, here i forgot to move the arms back in in 1-2 reps, but i couldn't film more today

3.tuck ups feels good, with my quads/legs i always can touch my abs, hope thats good compression.

4.arch back holds are really hard for my legs backside.

 

 

Thanks for your time!

 

William

1. You need to slow these down a little. They look pretty good, but need a bit of practise to feel more comfortable :)

2. Not low enough :) I think you can probably fix this by playing with the angles of your foot placement

3. Looks good to me :)

4. They're meant to be like that :) make sure your legs are locked, I'd like to see a touch more height with your torso but looks pretty good too.

William
Jon Douglas said:

1. You need to slow these down a little. They look pretty good, but need a bit of practise to feel more comfortable :)

2. Not low enough :) I think you can probably fix this by playing with the angles of your foot placement

3. Looks good to me :)

4. They're meant to be like that :) make sure your legs are locked, I'd like to see a touch more height with your torso but looks pretty good too.

 

 

Good help like always, Jon! :)

 

1.Yeah, while doing them it felt not so controlled like last time, like you said, i did it too fast this time and till yesterday i also felt a slight pain in my inner knee. learned the lesson.

2. Ah ok i will compare to the athlete in the vid about foot position. Now i have no idea what you mean exactly.

3. WUHUUU :D

4. Ah ok, i wasn't sure i straight or locked legs are important, thanks.

 

Will figure out everything.

William

To my last session i can say, that stretching really helps. I stretch a couple times my legs and back before getting started with Cossack squat and i could go down a lot deeper. I also checked the vid again and noticed, that the guy is lifting a bit his heel, i tried this and i could get deeper and really felt the muscles activating, more than before.

 

I must be doing a big mistake in MN/PE1 aka Stiff leg windmill, because everytime i'm doing it at least one shoulder hurts, really hurts. feels like something pops out to much, i don't know. The next day its mostly gone, i tried to make it slower, but nothing changed today. i just know for sure it has something to do with the rotation of the shoulder when going down, up works a bit better.

 

So, i really have to take a video, hope it's "just" the wrong execution now.

William

Just a short question: i want to go to PE3 in SLS, but i'm not sure, if i mastered PE2 right. There's written 5x10reps. Means this 10 reps is 5 reps to the right and 5 to the left or is one rep to the left and right? Also this question about PE3.

Thanks. I did 5 to each side for 10.

thanners
William said:

To my last session i can say, that stretching really helps. I stretch a couple times my legs and back before getting started with Cossack squat and i could go down a lot deeper. I also checked the vid again and noticed, that the guy is lifting a bit his heel, i tried this and i could get deeper and really felt the muscles activating, more than before.

 

I believe you should try to keep the heel on the ground. In this post, I'm not sure if Coach's reply was for SLS/PE4 or SLS/PE2 or both, but he mentions that the goal is for your heel to be on the ground, but it can be dependent on your achilles flexibility.

 

I must be doing a big mistake in MN/PE1 aka Stiff leg windmill, because everytime i'm doing it at least one shoulder hurts, really hurts. feels like something pops out to much..

Please post a video; hopefully we can sort this out for you.

 

William said:

[For SLS/PE2] There's written 5x10reps. Means this 10 reps is 5 reps to the right and 5 to the left or is one rep to the left and right?

This is correct.

William
thanners said:

 

I believe you should try to keep the heel on the ground. In this post, I'm not sure if Coach's reply was for SLS/PE4 or SLS/PE2 or both, but he mentions that the goal is for your heel to be on the ground, but it can be dependent on your achilles flexibility.

 

Please post a video; hopefully we can sort this out for you.

 

This is correct.

I will read the linked post, thx for that.

Next time i try to make a video. 

What part of my sentence about the reps was correct? :D

 

thanners
William said:

What part of my sentence about the reps was correct? :D

Oh gosh I'm sorry; I didn't see the 'or' in there. (c: The first one you said is correct: You alternate sides with each rep, so left counts as one rep, then right counts as another rep.
William
thanners said:

Oh gosh I'm sorry; I didn't see the 'or' in there. (c: The first one you said is correct: You alternate sides with each rep, so left counts as one rep, then right counts as another rep.

HAHA :D ok, thank you!

William

Today i mastered the second time this week for

 

-Fl/PE1(at beginning i thought, i will never get there)

-sPL/PE1(wasn't that hard, but it took me sometime to get there without big stress in my elbows)

-Mn/PE1(already trough, had to end the cycle to stay synchron)

-RC/PE3(hard, but in the last set i got 15, so i think i'm fine)

 

Next week is deload and than up to the next levels :)

William

Holy crap. On tuesday night was university football indoor, since that i have so hard doms not just in the legs, most in the lats(hard like stone) and obliques. i couldn't think about training F1 till tonight, now it could work. but its ok i think, it was deload week anyway :D

William

Yesterday i started some new Levels.

 

RC/PE 4 i start here at week 5, week 1 seemed too easy. Felt good.

FL/PE 2 makes much more fun than just static work, rocking isn't hard as believed, but it's not smooth right now. The iM was more difficult, because i felt good stress in my biceps, next time i should stretch before.
sPL/PE 2 was easy 3x12 sec. The hard part was the iM, i just did the half volume 5 per leg.

But it was quite uncomfortable to lie on the stomach while moving, tensing the abs made it not easier(to breathe), is there any tip you can give me?

 

:) love to get to the next levels

Jon Douglas
William said:

But it was quite uncomfortable to lie on the stomach while moving, tensing the abs made it not easier(to breathe), is there any tip you can give me?

 

:) love to get to the next levels

For this one you can't really change the position, your thighs should be at that 90 degrees. What are you using to do this? Bench, table?

federicoC

Great job William! As a tip, I can tell you that to prepare for the table, I do 6-7 reps with increasing ROM, with only the last rep being full ROM. I found it really helped me to warmup properly for the element. I keep each intermediate position for 5-10", with no rest between them.

William
federicoC said:

Great job William! As a tip, I can tell you that to prepare for the table, I do 6-7 reps with increasing ROM, with only the last rep being full ROM. I found it really helped me to warmup properly for the element. I keep each intermediate position for 5-10", with no rest between them.

I will give this a try, thanks federico :)

William
Jon Douglas said:

For this one you can't really change the position, your thighs should be at that 90 degrees. What are you using to do this? Bench, table?

Two chairs, the are high enough, my knees are 2 cm from the ground. I got one pillow under the lower chair to make them even. Maybe the pillow isn't as good as i thought, because its too soft?!

William

So today i had to do 4x60sec "arch body holds" i missed 2 units the last time so i decided to do 55,50,45,40 sec, felt ok. I think i can go to the Mastery in time, maybe increase my rom more.

 

But one problem was really bothering me in Mn/PE 2 the Straddle up - i stretched a little before, but my hip flexors cried loud after the first set with 9 reps, the next sets i just did 6,4 and the last one nothing for safety.

I felt a pain dragging in my flexors when i was in full compression in the move with legs straight and pulled to my torso.

I am not sure if it is the holding of my legs thats hard for my hip flexors or the straddle to the side.

 

 

After letting down the legs, the move felt not smooth in my hip flexor-zone, was like a little poppin'/grindin' feeling.

 

Some tips for that? 

Adriano Augusto

More stretching/mobility William. Maybe some foamrolling on the hip flexor area before the exercise, it is easy to have tightness on that area. 

 

But MN/PE2 is a hell for flexors, you know... it is like that, there's no shortcut or whatever.

 

One thing that I'm trying is to keep low reps for straddle up until I got decent ROM and when I got it, re-build the exercise with that ROM and put more reps. For exercises where we have mobility deficits (like SL/PE1) to build proper ROM and from there build "reps" IS something to consider. 

 

Mobility, mobility and more mobility. Just F1's mobility it's not enought, Kit's material is a mine of gold for this. Go to it.

William
Adriano Flo said:

More stretching/mobility William. Maybe some foamrolling on the hip flexor area before the exercise, it is easy to have tightness on that area. 

 

But MN/PE2 is a hell for flexors, you know... it is like that, there's no shortcut or whatever.

 

One thing that I'm trying is to keep low reps for straddle up until I got decent ROM and when I got it, re-build the exercise with that ROM and put more reps. For exercises where we have mobility deficits (like SL/PE1) to build proper ROM and from there build "reps" IS something to consider. 

 

Mobility, mobility and more mobility. Just F1's mobility it's not enought, Kit's material is a mine of gold for this. Go to it.

Thanks for your sentences.

So what looks a general stretching routine beside F1 for you? I never got real answers to a standard-all around-warmup here via search. need some foundation about that, i guess.