Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Battling rope - any good?

Mikkel Ravn

I happen to have a battling rope lying around, does anyone have any experience using one of these, and would it bring any benefits to a GST student?

To be honest, I haven't really used it, because I think my arms get plenty of work as it is, and I have no desire to screw myself up any further. Aaaand it may just be another fad of the 'Hardcore, puke in a bucket f*ck yeah!' fitness scene.

Thoughts?

...and unfortunately, it's made from nylon so it's slippery, and almost useless as a climbing rope, unless you wear sticky rubber gloves.

...and unfortunately, it's made from nylon so it's slippery, and almost useless as a climbing rope, unless you wear sticky rubber gloves.

I have these gloves.  I can take it off your hands, if you really want.  I've been looking for a climbing rope.

Now that that's out of the way....  I have no experience with battling ropes.  They're supposed to be killer on the arms and good for conditioning.  Have you tried it for yourself?  At the very least you should give it a go and form your own opinions.  It would be a shame not to, seeing as you already have one.

Imagine if you had rings lying around your house for years, and you just never bothered to try them out...

Yeah, haha, seems kinda stupid right? It's just that I try to depend on as little fitness gear as possible, but now that winter approaches, my feet will be soaked running in vibrams, so perhaps I should give some other means of cardio a go. Just don't want to risk any injuries, and I'm already pushing my elbows, shoulders and wrists somewhat hard, so...

We actually did these one day for our XC "core" workout. Works you arms a fair amount, however, nothing compared to possibilities on rings... If only our Coach could understand ..

Keilani Gutierrez

(...) If only our Coach could understand (..)

you're already leading by example :) maybe one day you should show him some of your GB party tricks :P

They are done a lot in the conditioning classes at my gym. Pretty useless as climbing ropes and basically they burn energy really well.

Most ppl just sorta squat and whip them around until they are tired. They work your core I guess but I find them as useful as a TRX.

• 1 year later...

I like to use ropes for conditioning and core work. I use a mix of exercise with rope for time and mix in a agility ladder with

Different drills.

No real direct transfer to GST that would not be gained elsewhere in GST.

You would get better effect just by hanging by a thick bar (2 inch dia) pull up bar. That directly transfers to everything you do involving your hands.

Battle ropes are good for some new fun things to try, just to keep things interesting. Some decent cardio effect. I'd put it on part with a rowing machine. Good for warmup, but not for maximal strength development

• Upvote 1