Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Prediabetes

Robert Rowland

Robert Rowland

I received some alarming blood glucose results back recently, which put me just within pre-diabetic ranges.  I'm 27 and very active, so I'm a bit freaked out.  I'll admit, I don't have a regular cardio regime and work an office desk 9-5, but I still practice F1 four days a week and play volleyball, tennis, and other park sports in my off time.

I'm wondering what the hell kind of dietary changes I'm supposed to make, since there seems to be a lot of conflicting information out there.  One source will say to stay away from saturated fats and red meat, while another will claim that the saturated fat issue is contentious.  The same goes for arguments revolving around starchy carbs and whole grain carbs... I try to avoid whole grain wheat and stick to white rice and potatoes, but now I'm hearing that's not a good idea.  Can anyone give me some sort of organizing dietary principles to keep in mind when deciding what to eat?  My primary just gave me a brochure containing the SAD and said to get more veggies and eat whole grain bread... /facepalm.

Rob

Marcos Mocine-McQueen

First advice is that you should have it tested again. Depending on how the test was performed and your discipline in regards to fasting before the test the results can sometimes be inaccurate. I would start there. If the new test confirms the results you should see both an endocrinologist and a proper dietician.

This doesn't answer your question but your post suggests the possibility of an underlying condition that deserves more expertise than these forums can offer.

• Upvote 3

I agree with mmm above.  These kind of health issues are too complex to leave to a bunch of us who don't know you and you don't know our qualifications.  I do concur though, that it seems an odd diagnosis given your lifestyle.  I'm assuming you aren't into fruitarianism or any such diets that may predispose to this.  Could be the development of type 1 diabetes, could be that you have family history of type 2 diabetes and really are getting it, could be lab error or physiologic variation from some other issue.  You can't make this diagnosis with one lab test, typically.  Maybe a repeat, or a glucose tolerance test would be helpful.  If true, i'd see a formal dietician/nutritionist who could help you out very well.  Generally I recommend avoiding processed foods and simple carbs.  No boxes or bags of food.  Eat whole foods, lean proteins, etc. True, veggies are best. And don't give up on the strength training. That lean muscle mass is your best friend when it comes to insulin resistance.  Good luck.

• Upvote 1

Yeah, the issue is I wouldn't want to give out any medical information given I am not a doctor. These type of issues can quickly become complex too.

Important Information

Please review our Privacy Policy at Privacy Policy before using the forums.