Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Climbing Rope Length + question about buying

Arthur Wong

1. What length of rope is optimal? I just bought 18ft (3 is used to hang it) so 15ft of rope to climb. I'm using it outside so I thought any higher than that would be pretty dangerous...

My second question is pretty specific so I don't expect many to be able to answer it...

2. I bought it from knotandrope as it was the cheapest I could find. Has anyone who lives outside the US ever bought from them? What shipping method did you use, how long did it take, and did you have to pay duty/brokerage fees?

I live in Canada and used FedEx ground, not really sure what to expect.

The length sounds good.

I got one from knotandrope, but I live in the US. I think it took like a week to get delivered, no extra fees.

If you have sweaty hands like me, chalk would be a good idea. Also, get ready for a weird smell when it arrives. :) (It goes away eventually)

Yeah I have super sweaty hands too. Thanks.

another question, is it ok if the rope gets wet? I won't be using it in the rain but I'd like to use it in the snow. 

I honestly don't know. I mean, if it gets a little wet from snow I'm sure it would be fine.

Anyways, if it does get ruined it's not so much to replace it.

• 4 months later...
Bryan Wheelock

From my readings, it seems manilla ropes will rot if exposed the the elements.

Apparently they rot from the inside and it's difficult to tell from visual inspection.

Failure seems to occur after 3-4 years exposure.

From my readings, it seems manilla ropes will rot if exposed the the elements.

Apparently they rot from the inside and it's difficult to tell from visual inspection.

Failure seems to occur after 3-4 years exposure.

Yeah tbh I regret getting manilla now.... It was so expensive with shipping though I won't get the poly one any time soon.

Its shredding a lot since I hang it on a tree in the park and have to put it up and take it down every time I use it. Also it rains 200 days a year where I live so when it isn't raining outside the trees are usually still moist. 

O well. I know I'll EVENTUALLY have to get a different material rope that would be better for my uses so at least I won't have to worry about babying this one.