Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Gaining weight and insulin spikes

Amir Giles

Sorry if this has been covered elsewhere, but with a quick search I couldn't find it.

I understand you want an insulin spike during and after exercise to since this is the 'store energy' hormone which will allow the muscles to get what they need.

But elsewhere you want to avoid insulin spikes so as not to have the energy converted to fat.  

But what if you don't care.  Won't that fat be used for energy later anyway?  What's wrong with some fat, for someone not overweight?

Keilani Gutierrez

good questions and im not exactly versed in this stuff but there is nothing wrong with a little extra body fat.

what has been said on the matter is that some athletes with really low body fat %'s could perform better with a bit more BF.

as for lugging around extra BF, as long as it isnt excessive it isnt much of an issue, that will depend on your frame and the other fancy stuff that the more biological, organic chemistry, anatomical folks would know about.

as for the insulin spike, if you keep the spikes gradual(frequent feedings between 2.5-3hrs) instead of dipping low, suddenly hitting high exposure and then back down low, you dont develop(to my limited understanding) all the trouble that comes with insulin sensitivity.

as per mobilizing fat, the only one i'm aware of that i can personally vouche for because its happened before my eyes is frequent feedings of protein, carbs and fat, veggies and keep that as consistent as possible alongside your training.

Important Information

Please review our Privacy Policy at Privacy Policy before using the forums.