Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Building A Freestanding Stallbar

Philipp Zimmermann

Philipp Zimmermann

Hey Guys,

I want to build my own stallbars, but I have no place where I could attach it to a wall.

So it has to be freestanding.

I already have a plan how they should look and think it should be able to stay free.

Here is my desgin:

post-5271-0-78449900-1378039741_thumb.jp

It should be 230 tall and 120 wide.

Both poles should be 230cm tall, 10cm wide and 10 cm thick. And they should linked together at the top and the bottom.

The dowels should be 100cm long and 3,4 cm thick and should stand off 20 cm by each other. I want to use 12 dowels.

The stallbar should have a base reaching out in front, so it cant drop that way. The base consists of two 50cm units that are linked to gather at the middle and the end. (the picture will make it clear what I mean)

From the base a pole should be reach of to the stallbar pole. Together with the base this will create a triangle.

At the top it should has an overhang, so I´m maybe able to do pull ups or attach rings there.

The overhang should be 30 cm long and also connect by a unit, just like the base and at the top the last  dowel will be placed. It will be also connect to the stall bar by a crossbar.

The matrial should be wood and I want to screw everything together. But first I wanted to finish the desgin before I think about the material.

What to you guys think about this?

I want to place it in my room, because of this it should be good looking and should not be to big, while providing still good stability and so on.

I weight 65 kg, but want to gain weight, but it still doesn´t have to carry to much weight.

It will be staying near a wall with the back so it can´t fall that way.

Thanks ! =)

Greetings from germany =)

Phil

I've got some preliminary plans for some freestanding stall bars - only thing I'd recommend you add is a short support on the front just for some extra stability - I've got a 30cm piece on the plan for the front, and a 90 cm one at the back, and i'm also going to lay some sand bags on the base.  Also, the recommended width for stall bars is 3 ft rather than 4 ft so the dowels don't sag, but I think 3.4 cm dowels might suffice for a 4 ft wide design. Idk though.

Other than that, looks good!

http://gymnasticsstrength.blogspot.co.uk/2009/01/stall-bars.html

https://www.gymnasticbodies.com/forum/topic/3669-pike-and-straddle-pikepancake-stretch-progressions/

https://www.gymnasticbodies.com/forum/topic/8061-made-stall-bars/

https://www.gymnasticbodies.com/forum/topic/1072-homemade-stall-bars-at-gymnastic-strength-blog/

https://www.gymnasticbodies.com/forum/topic/4670-homemade-stall-bars-a-basement-project/

https://www.gymnasticbodies.com/forum/topic/11312-stall-bar-dowel-thickness/

Some threads and posts

Douglas Wadle

If I'm reading your drawing correctly, there needs to be a much larger base. the uprights are going to be heavy. I think you'll need some base behind the stallbar, and a larger surface area in front of the stall bars. It'll be quite large to make it stable, which will make it take up quite a bit of real estate. One of the things i really like about a typical stall bar is it takes up almost no real estate as it's on the wall. If you truly have no wall to attach to, perhaps you could brace it to a ceiling and floor and thus use the more compact design you've drawn. Good luck.

Philipp Zimmermann

I want to place it as near to a wall as possible, thats why I dont have some base at the back but I will maybe built a little now.

And for the flag problem I thought about getting a counterweight on the backside hanging from the top.

I would place it into my room, so i tried to sneak arround the support at the bottom, but maybe I will at a little at the sides of the base.

Maybe the base should be nearly 1m long then the crossbar would attach at the middle at the stallbar with 45 degree. I think this will also at some stability, but then I have these big base and crossbars... Maybe I could make the crossbars , so that I could take them off if i dont train.

Also i didnt tought about that the dowels could bend, so its a good idea to make them only 3 feet long.

I´m living in a very old house and the walls are not that stable anymore and the floor and so on too. Maybe i could attach it to the wall, but only to support it a little bit.

Thanks ! =)

Nicholas Herreros

I also agree about the base. It definitely needs to be longer and the same distance on both sides or you'll definitely fall backwards. I still think you'll have to weigh it down somehow to keep it steady.

Philipp Zimmermann

Its facing a wall at the back so it can fall in this direction.

How long should the base be and how much should a support for the base weight?

Thanks again

• 2 months later...

On the base, add a way to stack free weight plates, basically the idea is like an upright paper towel dispenser, only using plates instead. If th base is wide enough and there are enough plates, you won't tip over even with momentum, but you'd have to make sure the total weight can be held by the floor, so I suggest basement, garage, or ground floor room. You can then load the plates on and off, and affix felt or furniture sliders under the stall bars to make it easier to move around.

• Upvote 1

• 4 weeks later...

Phil, could you give us an update?

I'm having a friend build a freestanding stallbar ( made of metal though) and I'd like to know more exact recommendations for the base.

Also I remember I saw a post here about someone who also attached removable parallel bars to the stallbars, does anyone know the link?

Do you think that would be feasible for a freestanding design?