Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Dogma in sports training

Adrien Godet

Joshua Naterman

That's bad and stupid. Nearly as bad as what a local Crossfit did to one of my wife's friends. She couldn't do pull ups so the instructor put her in a band. As she still couldn't do them he pulled her down so the elastic shot her up! She could barely move her arms all week. This is why I travel 15 minutes away once a week to do Crossfit with real coaches who focus on technique.

Wait... you focus on technique... are you SURE you can call that Crossfit?

• Upvote 3

Wait... you focus on technique... are you SURE you can call that Crossfit?

Yes, they are out there!

Joshua Naterman

Yes, they are out there!

Yea, but that's not what mainsite says to do. Maybe they should change mainsite's name to Cross$hit.

• Upvote 3

Keilani Gutierrez

Yea, but that's not what mainsite says to do. Maybe they should change mainsite's name to Cross$hit.

shots fired. agreed. in Jan I went to a gym where i made casual conversation with the coach to spot me on my max for deadlift and get to know him (because the nearest gymnastic facility is 3hrs away)

i'll be honest, he had me impressed when he was DL'ing 225-315lbs, arch up with 45lb, pullups for reps and HesPU(wall-assisted) for reps as a warm up...or whatever.

after the workout (I only made it to test 225lbs because it felt a little heavy) we somehow got on the topic of training methodology and he lost me when he was saying he had been currently training with tendonitis on his left knee, idk what on his elbow and something with his shoulder.

it's ridiculous what level of expertise and usefulness you reach just by associating oneself with the caliber of experience and knowledge of the more respected members of thiss forum. /tipshat

• Upvote 1

Craig Mallett

Some Dogmas I find weird:

- Muscles must always be hard. Soft muscles = weak

- You must hurt for days after and/or spew after a workout or you didn't work hard enough

- Fitness = cardio + strength (no-one mentions coordination or efficiency, and rarely mention flexibility...thats only for people who like yoga or gymnasts)

• Upvote 2

I am not a fan of main sites workouts. I cannot think of anyone who is good at crossfit that follows their programming.

• Upvote 2

I think the big dogma in the US is that people must climb in rock climbing shoes (and I mean even bouldering, not big walls)...these are very expensive, over $100 plus tax... then when you want to climb without shoes people think you're doing something wrong. Without shoes, it's good for foot strength.

• Upvote 1

Keilani Gutierrez

I think the big dogma in the US is that people must climb in rock climbing shoes (and I mean even bouldering, not big walls)...these are very expensive, over $100 plus tax... then when you want to climb without shoes people think you're doing something wrong. Without shoes, it's good for foot strength.

and foot cramps....those just slay me. so hard. 

Gotta say if you're not climbing in climbing shoes that's fine at first but if you want to get into higher end stuff or even the mid range then you will be needing climbing shoes. Also I order my climbing gear from the states because it is so much cheaper than Australia.

In saying that I sometimes do overhang stuff without shoes because I am able to use my toes to curl around the bigger grips like an extra pain of hands on my feet :D

Barefoot running works great for me, but climbing cracks, or small ledges and crimps in bare feet won't take you far, especially on real rock. I also don't like the idea of taking a fall in bare feet, that could easily end incredibly bad. But for conditioning, barefoot climbing once in a while may be good stuff.

Keilani Gutierrez

climbing back up a 50-60ft wall after jumping into the ocean..

legendary foot crampage.

lesson: learned. 

• Upvote 2

Actually another crossfit one is from mainsite:

The needs of Olympic athletes and our grandparents differ by degree, not kind.

So my 85 year old grandmother should be olympic lifting and doing handstands, yeah?

I think she'll stick to square dancing, but I'll ask her for you Greg Glassman....

Actually another crossfit one is from mainsite:

The needs of Olympic athletes and our grandparents differ by degree, not kind.

So my 85 year old grandmother should be olympic lifting and doing handstands, yeah?

I think she'll stick to square dancing, but I'll ask her for you Greg Glassman....

I am not sure specifically about 85-year old person, of any gender, and untrained--but its is true that there's no need to single out "grandmothers" as if gender incapacitates a person somehow.

People of all ages lift heavy things until very advanced age, if they live in rural enviortnments and don't depend on technology/have to fend for themselves. This is normal and what keeps person alive, strong and healthy. People lift heavy things, grain bags, buckets of water (if water has to be brought from well/river), firewood, perform firewood preparation with heavy ax, dealing with livestock, etc. So, I believe Crossfit is correct here (they're not correct when they put untrained city people onto heavy tasks without proper preparation)

In fact, I believe that a few 60-70 year old "grandmothers" from rural mountain regions could beat the living hell out of gym trained city man, if they wanted to.

I remember how a 70-year old lady who lived alone in Siberan forest had quickly built a hut made from logs, for food storage a few feet off the ground, to keep food supplies safe from grizzlies, using only old dulled axe, and few old nails, hauling the logs up by herself as well, without any modern hauling equipment. She had built underground chamber as well. Actually, all the olympic lifts aren't impressive compared to work people do if they actually do hard manual labor, as said labor is infinitely more complex movement.

• Upvote 1

When I was younger our football coach would deliberately leave the football at home. We would warm up with 20 laps of the oval and run for a total of 90 minutes. Real smart training for 11-12 year olds.

I remember a coach who was beating me, while running behind me.

I remember a coach who was beating me, while running behind me.

Imagine doing that today! It would be all over Facebook, twitter, you tube, the national media and you be booked in with a psychologist to cope with the trauma.

• Upvote 1

Imagine doing that today! It would be all over Facebook, twitter, you tube, the national media and you be booked in with a psychologist to cope with the trauma.

But this was outside the US...I think it's still the same way there...

I am not sure specifically about 85-year old person, of any gender, and untrained--but its is true that there's no need to single out "grandmothers" as if gender incapacitates a person somehow.

I'm actually strongly in favour of people strength training all the way up until the day they die.  There's too much literature in support of it.

However, trying to teach an octogenarian explosive overhead movements that require extreme levels of mobility sound like a recipe for disaster.

Keilani Gutierrez

I'm actually strongly in favour of people strength training all the way up until the day they die.  There's too much literature in support of it.

However, trying to teach an octogenarian explosive overhead movements that require extreme levels of mobility sound like a recipe for disaster.

when improperly lead upto that point, so i totally agree...didn't coach mention a friend of his in BtGB that could do hundreds of HSPU on parallel bars? he said he still can do a lot even in his older age.

i want to be like that when im older! :D

FREDERIC DUPONT

(...) i want to be like that when im older! :D

When I am old, I want to be mobile, lucid and able to put my socks on by myself... any extras would be a nice bonus. :)

Time for my soup! :wacko:

• Upvote 1

When I am old, I want to be mobile, lucid and able to put my socks on by myself... any extras would be a nice bonus. :)

Time for my soup! :wacko:

Sifu is 70, and is still teaching classes in Hong Kong 5 hours a day, 5-6 days a week, plus private lessons and official (police/military) training. Age is experience; he knows every (dirty) trick in the book and is happy to demonstrate anything in the curriculum at the drop of a hat. Role models? Yep, I got em :)

Tristan Curtis

Sifu is 70, and is still teaching classes in Hong Kong 5 hours a day, 5-6 days a week

Is that wing chun kung fu?

Tristan Curtis

Awesome. Watching the experienced sifus and masters demonstrating their "party tricks" is a religious experience. Chi mastery is so fascinating.

Awesome. Watching the experienced sifus and masters demonstrating their "party tricks" is a religious experience. Chi mastery is so fascinating.

Haha, I think everyone who wanders into Sifu's school has the same experience of being punched across the room by a 70 year old man who then laughs, helps you up and offers to teach you :)

"What doesn't kill you makes you stronger" is my favourite piece of dogma. It's rubbish.

"Work hard, play hard" I find equally grating.

• Upvote 1