playing with HBP while maintaining my F2

Started by Alessandro Mainente, August 22, 2013 · 57 Replies · 25,492 Views

Alessandro Mainente

Long time is passed from the last time i've practiced a bit the HBP but i'm happy to see that F2 allowed me to maintain my level of strength..NO ONE REPETITIONS LESS.

 

Of course something in my body changed.

I tried to do some HBP sets using the approach of the Foundation Series and probably my ability to recover is increased a lot. I remember when to do 4 sets i had to rest 3-5 minutes in between. For now only 20-30 seconds are enough.

 

Ravn

Sweet!

Christian

Stop fooling around and get to the hard stuff :P

Coach Sommer

Very nice, Alex.

 

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

Keilani Gutierrez

:o #slowclap

Yaad Mohammad

Well done man!

Cody Ward

Nice :)

I have the same problem. Doing strength work requires me to rest a while before doing another set, so I'm hoping foundation will fix that.

Joshua Naterman

Man, those looked so easy for you... nice!

Mark Collins

Legend!

B1214N

Nice! Can you also do it starting with your whole body on the floor?

Alessandro Mainente

you mean start completely flat of the floor and push up in a BA planche?

B1214N
alex87 said:

you mean start completely flat of the floor and push up in a BA planche?

Yes, no rocking, just pushing up with pure strength from flat on the floor.
Alessandro Mainente

i've never tried it, of course leaning on the BA planche from support is easier.

i think that in this circumstances the biggest problem can be maintain the hollow position, i can maintain the hollow during tuck planche push up also starting from bottom position, but the degree of lean is not comparable with the BA planche in full lay version, or better, with an higher level of lean i have to manage more weight due to full pisition.

I'll try it.

B1214N

It is significantly harder! I can barely move up an inch from the bottom in full lay. It's hard to build up sufficient tension when you're relaxed flat on the bottom. I should be able to do it starting in half lay at the bottom since I can do half lay planche push-up from flat on the bottom.

Alessandro Mainente

ok then probably i'm not able to do that. my planche development is far from your actual level on the floor. so no reason to think that i could do it.

B1214N

Did you actually try it out? You can do HBP on rings.

Alessandro Mainente

no i'll try next week, yes i have  hbp on rings but only on very low rings, the temptation to press over the shoulder stand position and the do an hspu is very high with rings higher!

Jono

Question: is HBH meant to be done with a hollow body lol. I've never seen one done without a small arch

Joshua Naterman
Jono said:

Question: is HBH meant to be done with a hollow body lol. I've never seen one done without a small arch

Are you talking about Hollow Body Hold? If so, the name says it all.

 

If you're talking about a Hollow Back Press, which is what Alex is demonstrating... well, again the name says it all. A hollow back is an arched back. 

 

EDIT (28AUG2013): For historical purposes, I am not going to change the original text, but please go to the second page of this thread to read Coach Sommer's explanation of why my explanation in this post is wrong. 

 

A hollow back is not arched, please read Coach's explanations on the next page of this thread.

Jono

Ugh. My bad. I meant HBP  :wacko: I haven't seen a HBP done without a small arch before. The same with the HSPU! I could just be looking in the wrong places though!

LateStarter@46
Joshua Naterman said:

.... A hollow back is an arched back.

Arrgh! I have spent months training my brain to understand what 'Hollow' and 'Arch' mean, since it wasn't intuitive personally. Now you go and say both words in one sentence! It'll take me years to get back to where I was!
FredInChina
LateStarter@46 said:

Arrgh! I have spent months training my brain to understand what 'Hollow' and 'Arch' mean, since it wasn't intuitive personally. Now you go and say both words in one sentence! It'll take me years to get back to where I was!

 

Think about it as convex/concave if that helps you :)

Jono

Am I the only one that's confused?  :P

Jon Douglas
LateStarter@46 said:

Arrgh! I have spent months training my brain to understand what 'Hollow' and 'Arch' mean, since it wasn't intuitive personally. Now you go and say both words in one sentence! It'll take me years to get back to where I was!

In an arch, you create a hollow in your back. You may choose to than bent arm press to HS.

With a hollow body you make it with your whole body.

... they sounded more distinct in my head.

LateStarter@46

Repeating to myself everyday: in Arch body hold, you arch your back and make a hollow. In Hollow body hold, you curve yourself in to make a hollow. Ok, I'm getting it now- both are hollows. Thanks :-)