Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

maximizing fat loss during the post workout window?

Felix Schreiter

Felix Schreiter

Hello everybody,

I've been following the perfect workout nutrition plan as described by slizzardman for a while now and had great results in general. I started with F1 at the very beginning for all exercises and even though I thought it would not provide much stimulus for building muscle mass (as I was for example bench pressing much more than then the weight of the PE1 of the hollow back press) I got bigger. I expect greater gains in the next weeks as I started the PE2s of most exercises which get more intense. 

I have read this article recently:

http://chadwaterbury.com/the-truth-about-post-workout-nutrition/

and was wondering about your thoughts. Basically chad waterbury interviews a guy called Ori Hofmekler on post workout nutrition. He recommends waiting 30-60 mins after your workout, then taking 40-60g of protein and then repeating the process once more in order to maximize fat los. Thus he does not recommend any carbs after your workout for fat loss

I did not loose much fat during the last 4 months of working on F1 and remember dropping fat much more easily (almost automatically) while lifting weights.

I am more than satisfied so far with F1, my joints got much stronger and healthier, my mobility in my hips and shoulder girdle went through the roof etc. but I would like to loose more fat. I am eating fairly clean (lots of protein, only fresh food, lots of fruits and veggies and not too much grains or high GI carbs etc.) and thought that maybe I should reduce the amount of dextrose I am taking post workout for carbs.

I remember Joshua saying that some carbs are necessary for the body to use the protein efficiently, so maybe reducing my post workout carbs to minimum is the way to go? What are your thoughts?

Jake Lawrance

This might be worth asking in Joshua's 'question and answer' section on the nutrition section :)

This could be wrong but I remember reading somewhere josh recommended cutting the carbs a bit if you were worried about too much fat gain. Forgot the post but it was an old one and he may have changed his stance on this since then.

Idk, I don't do the whole supplementation thing, not even whey, I just eat a solid meal post workout, some fruit or nuts, drink lots of skimmed milk (whole milk makes me fatter, been there). I've become both stronger and a lot leaner since starting F1.

Excess sugar will make you fat, so maybe you got the dosage wrong. Don't forget that your other foods also contain carbs, and should be counted as well.

...watch out, rant ahead:

What's with the whole eating powdered foods thing? Look at the ancient greek physiques, those guys were probably eating high quality food, but certainly not any of that powdery supplementation crap. Of course the biochemists are right in stating that we need carbs for protein synthesis, but it seems disjointed to me to infer that the best means to accomplish this is to gulp a crapload of a giant sugary PWO shake AFTER EVERY SINGLE WORKOUT. After which people wonder why the hell they are getting fat. Not saying that you do, but plenty of others do for sure.

Ok, rant over/

Edit: About the article, hmm, seems like a sales pitch more than anything else. Personally I wouldn't trust people for objective information whenever they're trying to sell me something.

Michael Soueid

Nobody stated that you absolutely have to use protein supplements and the like to get excellent results (and if i remember correctly even josh n. stated that he prefers to eat real foods after workout nowadays) but still, given the fact that after strenous training your body needs protein and carbs and a glucose+whey mix with zero fat is absorbed most quickly by the body, a PWO shake containing this gives you most probably the best results. At least, it gives excellent results while being very convinient. Of course you a) need to get the proportions right (no point in gulping down excess sugars) so its probably better to err a bit on the low side and experiment a bit with it and b) the rest of your diet has to be good as well and dialed in (no PWO shake however good will help you if the rest of the diet is crap or you eating excess calories)

Joshua Naterman

I will advise people to stop looking for quick solutions. The human body likes to bounce back from rapid weight loss. Slower weight loss that actually comes from true body fat is going to look better, feel better, and be more sustainable. If you think that a magic trick in the 30-60 minutes PWO is going to make a radical difference, you are mistaken, and if you think that your performance hinges on getting lean quickly you are also mistaken.

You asked this question in another thread, word for word, and we prefer not to double post things. It makes conversations hard to follow. I answered you in the 2013 Q/A thread a few minutes ago.

• Upvote 1

Important Information

Please review our Privacy Policy at Privacy Policy before using the forums.