Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

USA Championships - Mens Day 2

Coach Sommer

Ralph Palutke

Why is Allan "only" performing a v-sit in his floor routine? Why no full planche or at least a manna?

as far as i remember allan should be capable of these elements right?

so what is the reason behind this programming desicion?

Maximilian Schmahl

I can't speak for Allan or Coach of course, however in competitive gymnastics you always have to make the decision based on what will give you the best score in the end and not what looks as badass as possible.

In fact I've done the exact same thing at my last competition and performed a V-Sit instead of a Manna because it simply wasn't worth the risk. The Manna involves a balance aspect which makes it much more risky, especially when you're nervous due to the competition. Besides, a deduction-free Manna is much closer to a max-effort than a deduction-free V-Sit, at least for me.

A floor routine consisting of 5, maybe 6 passes is really taxing so you don't want to waste your energy for .1 in D-score because when being out of breath, you're much more likely to break form on other elements as well.

• Upvote 3

I can't speak for Allan or Coach of course, however in competitive gymnastics you always have to make the decision based on what will give you the best score in the end and not what looks as badass as possible.

In fact I've done the exact same thing at my last competition and performed a V-Sit instead of a Manna because it simply wasn't worth the risk. The Manna involves a balance aspect which makes it much more risky, especially when you're nervous due to the competition. Besides, a deduction-free Manna is much closer to a max-effort than a deduction-free V-Sit, at least for me.

A floor routine consisting of 5, maybe 6 passes is really taxing so you don't want to waste your energy for .1 in D-score because when being out of breath, you're much more likely to break form on other elements as well.

Makes sense. The non-gymnasts amongst us don't know this sort of strategy, but it's very interesting :) thanks for the explanation

Coach Sommer

You must have him confused with another athlete, Allan does not perform a V-sit in his floor routine.  He performs a press to Japanese handstand.

Check out the Congratulations to Allan Bower! thread in the community section for videos of all his Day 2 routines.

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

Ralph Palutke

You must have him confused with another athlete, Allan does not perform a V-sit in his floor routine.  He performs a press to Japanese handstand.

Check out the Congratulations to Allan Bower! thread in the community section for videos of all his Day 2 routines.

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

oh damn. i guess you're right. i confused him with the guy named alex. nevertheless the question stays the same.

like it was already said above i do not have any knowledge in that field so i find the desicions behind the routine quite interesting.