This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Beginning F1 - Suggestions and more

Started by federicoC, August 18, 2013 · 391 Replies · 12,091 Views

federicoC
Vincearoo said:

In the first rep of your tuck ups you used a whole lot of momentum to get up, it looks hey begin to tame out with momentum, but just be weary of it.

The tuck ups also don't seem to look like they have enough compression, you knees should come all the way up to your chest.

I see what you mean with the momentum, yes, you are right I compared it with the original movement again. The compression, instead, looks comparable to me. Thanks.

FredInChina

What the others said about momentum & compression.

Was that your first set? I am asking because you are gaining ROM on the iM between the first and the 5th rep on each side; if it was your last set, I don't think you'd gain that much ROM between reps.

I think your focus should be on the windmills more than the tuck ups - this is what will hold you back at this level for the time being. :)

federicoC

Yes it was. 

federicoC

Today has not been my best WO. Nevertheless, i made videos of several elements:

 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZtFBlheNrdU&feature=youtu.be

 

For the ABH, I did 36,34,32,30s. Hence, I will repeat week 10 next week as well aiming at 4x36s. I really loose arch as a function of time under tension. I tried to move my arms more slowly on the tuck ups. The last rep of the set I tried to use momentum by purpose to see the difference from the video. Still think I should work on it, I think I anticipate the leg movement. On windmills I am gaining ROM also in the shoulder rotation. However, when I do them on my right side, I really feel that something is contracted/painful in my mid left glute. I also feel it a bit when I walk and climb up stairs. Not sure what is that, I assumed I overstretched my piriformis. Deck SQ are also recorded. Finally, an attempt of straddle leg lift, swivel hips and Kit's glutes activation movement to understand whether I am doing it right.

 

Suggestions welcome!

 

Sometimes I wished I could get something similar to F1 for stretching as well.

federicoC

From Bipocni:

 

 

You need to keep your knees together during arch holds. And tuck ups. Probably everything else as well.  Just keep your knees actively pressed together for anything that isn't a straddle.

 

A bit more internal rotation with your windmills wouldn't hurt.

 

Your deck squats are actually pretty solid.

 

I'm not even going to comment on your swivel hips.  You know what you need to do.

 

Tell that guy to get off the ab machine and do some hollow rocks.

 

No skiers?

Bipocni
federicoC said:

From Bipocni:

 

 

You need to keep your knees together during arch holds. And tuck ups. Probably everything else as well.  Just keep your knees actively pressed together for anything that isn't a straddle.

 

A bit more internal rotation with your windmills wouldn't hurt.

 

Your deck squats are actually pretty solid.

 

I'm not even going to comment on your swivel hips.  You know what you need to do.

 

Tell that guy to get off the ab machine and do some hollow rocks.

 

No skiers?

So, where are your skiers?

Keilani Gutierrez

yeah, lookin good!

on the straddle lifts, i like the barbell usage, if you can manage to lift the lega up and "press" yourself into it, you'll understand why cramps are to die for :P

as for everything else, Bipocni has made good observations, i couldnt tell from the angle but on your windmills if you stand with your feet at a little bit past shoulder width and turned one foot in 90 degrees to the other, maybe you'll get something there, unless you're already doing it.

federicoC

@Bipocni: did them, just the video cut them out :) I think on the skiers I found my path, I really feel I am much more mobile (and kept my chest up, as suggested).

 

@KeilianiG: sure. I am not going to close my knees but on the rest he got a point. For the windmills I am already using a wider stance, but no pronounced foot rotation. I'll try it.

federicoC

Video from today:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6jjUEeIH9pg&feature=youtu.be

 

bHBH felt great, 4x60s without struggling too much. Feels like cat/cow is going well on track. Also made a front video of scap shrugs, there I am improving I believe, I'd like to gain a little bit of ROM in protraction.

 

As for what concerns the push ups, I did 15,15,10,10 today and used 4kg only for the Xiaopeng, with immediate benefits. However, the last set of pushup was to failure. Next week I will repeat again the 4x15 scheme.

federicoC

In the next days and probably for the next months I'd probably need to cut one F1 day and rest 2 days per week.

 

This will mean 3 WO GST + 2 WO swimming per week. I was wondering whether I could then do F7, training 3 times all 7 elements. If so, this means that compared to my current 4 days split, F7 has still 150% of the volume I am currently doing. Would it make sense to use a different periodization and have 2 out of 3 WO as prescribed and 1 WO where the deload scheme is applied?

 

The benefit I see of doing something like this would be that the volume is higher than the 4 days split, but that one day (the ~deload) can be used to focus on the exercise technique and additional work on mobility. 

 

What do you think? A dumb idea?

federicoC

Follow up examination done. Apparently the structures are safe, and both nutrition and training program has been approved by the physician, who invited me to relax and assess how this goes in the next 2-3 months. No bacteria has been found in last urine sample examination, neither with culturing nor by PCR. On the other hand, I found the doctor quite superficial and in a hurry. Anyway, it appears as I am doing all what I can to cope with the problem. I will also start working on the treatment of piriformis syndrome, as Kit suggested me to start right away with it.

Bipocni
federicoC said:

In the next days and probably for the next months I'd probably need to cut one F1 day and rest 2 days per week.

 

This will mean 3 WO GST + 2 WO swimming per week. I was wondering whether I could then do F7, training 3 times all 7 elements. If so, this means that compared to my current 4 days split, F7 has still 150% of the volume I am currently doing. Would it make sense to use a different periodization and have 2 out of 3 WO as prescribed and 1 WO where the deload scheme is applied?

 

The benefit I see of doing something like this would be that the volume is higher than the 4 days split, but that one day (the ~deload) can be used to focus on the exercise technique and additional work on mobility. 

 

What do you think? A dumb idea?

Not a bad idea at all.  When you move up to F7, re test for mastery on everything.  It's a lot more taxing on your core and you may find your numbers aren't as high as they used to be.

federicoC

Yes, I also thought so. Would be nice to get also some other feedback as honestly, the F7 template as it is looks extremely demanding.

 

Anyway, this week would be mastery test for me so I think I can just try it and then do 3 deload sessions next week. I realized I need a second day off, as I felt tired the last 3-4 days and as swimming as well is becoming more challenging now that I picked up the basics.

 

Danke,

Federico

 

Edit, the week would look like

 

Sun-F7, template

Mon-Swimming

Tue-Rest

Wed-F7, template

Thu-Swimming

Fri-F7, deload template

Sat-Rest

 

Reasonable to me.

JN12

You could also do your normal workout twice and then F7 once. That way you have the same workload as before but only one time a more challenging long workout.

 

This is what I am doing when my schedule is messing with my workouts.

federicoC

Thanks, right, but that would not allow me to repeat each Im 3/week. As mobility is my first goal now, reinforced with my discussion with the doctor, I'd rather like to pursue the strategy I outlined above.

Keilani Gutierrez

(i tried looking for it but i havent really taken the time to learn how to use the search function, so im gonna keep looking for it)

 

Coach on someones thread made a statement along the lines of earning your workout. 

 

if you're too fried of working basic patterns of movement for strengthening, then what makes us think we can effectively use our structure in a sport with that level of conditioning? 

 

I'm not saying, cancel your life or hobbies, i still make it to the beach every once in a while, sometimes the same day as my workout. only that if for example, if you box and need to give your wrists a break on the heavy bag work to give them time to heal and strengthen to be able to take the existing workload being placed on them, maybe its good to take a step back on your training or your sport.

 

I discontinued heavy bag work until my wrists worked upto holding the new handstand + wrist work.(once my wrists can handle both in the same day, I'll do that) doesn't mean i dont go outside and give it a good whack every once in a while...and sometimes....on those stressful days....stay longer  :ph34r:

 

if you're too run down to swim, don't change your strengthening schedule if not to better accommodate recovery. look at your nutrition, your sleep, your stress levels. 

 

a list i compiled to help me go back to basics when i see something might be wrong

 

1. oxygen

2. water

3. food

4. sleep

5. mood

6. if i'm training enough or too little

7. if i mastered the PE and iM honestly

(insert at anypoint revising list to come to the forum and look around or ask for advice)

sometimes, i don't have to go down so much on the list to know what's going on. :)

 

i mean this in good spirit and in good faith, I look at training as preparation for the body as studying is preparation for your mind. putting  using the knife in the kitchen, in front of sharpening once you're done it to keep it decent and sharp, will eventually make it dull :)

Bipocni
KeilaniG said:

(i tried looking for it but i havent really taken the time to learn how to use the search function, so im gonna keep looking for it)

 

Coach on someones thread made a statement along the lines of earning your workout. 

 

if you're too fried of working basic patterns of movement for strengthening, then what makes us think we can effectively use our structure in a sport with that level of conditioning? 

 

I'm not saying, cancel your life or hobbies, i still make it to the beach every once in a while, sometimes the same day as my workout. only that if for example, if you box and need to give your wrists a break on the heavy bag work to give them time to heal and strengthen to be able to take the existing workload being placed on them, maybe its good to take a step back on your training or your sport.

 

I discontinued heavy bag work until my wrists worked upto holding the new handstand + wrist work.(once my wrists can handle both in the same day, I'll do that) doesn't mean i dont go outside and give it a good whack every once in a while...and sometimes....on those stressful days....stay longer  :ph34r:

 

if you're too run down to swim, don't change your strengthening schedule if not to better accommodate recovery. look at your nutrition, your sleep, your stress levels. 

 

a list i compiled to help me go back to basics when i see something might be wrong

 

1. oxygen

2. water

3. food

4. sleep

5. mood

6. if i'm training enough or too little

7. if i mastered the PE and iM honestly

(insert at anypoint revising list to come to the forum and look around or ask for advice)

sometimes, i don't have to go down so much on the list to know what's going on. :)

 

i mean this in good spirit and in good faith, I look at training as preparation for the body as studying is preparation for your mind. putting  using the knife in the kitchen, in front of sharpening once you're done it to keep it decent and sharp, will eventually make it dull :)

My list is a little shorter:

 

1. Coffee

 

That's it.  That's my whole list.

federicoC

I think what you say is nice, but probably I've not been entirely clear. I am adapting pretty fast and well to training. The need for a second rest day is because with my work, I can not optimize recovery further. All variables you listed, and I could add more, are already "optimized". Swimming is demanding, yet, I cope with it very well. Indeed, if you look at what I am going to do, I'm not cutting actually...I'm adding. And this addition takes into account my priority of gaining mobility.  I'll give it a shot, and we see where I reach.

JN12

You're a PhD student right? I get the work part...  :(

 

It is a good plan. Just watch out because 3 x F7 can be demanding (even with one deload workout). I think I would not be looking forward to my workouts if I did this a while. And if mobility is your priority you could always add a stretching session instead.

 

But you'll see how it goes!

federicoC

Yes, and a research assistant/lecturer, and a TA for a course. I generally work in the WE as well, but all in all I can be more than happy about the fact that I am very independent and can combine my work and passion with sports.

federicoC

Back from the first F7 WO for me. I think it is a good deal! This week is week 11 on many elements.

I mastered bHBH/cat-cow where now I really feel comfortable, 5x60s+5x5r were not too much. On the scap shrugs I am getting better and I now understand what Joshua was referring to as decoupling scap movement from the spine. Swivel instead really are a pain, I don't see any improvement.

 

ABH I did 36s,30s,28s,30s, so there I suffered a bit the previous work. On the tuck up, after couple of times, I now entirely removed momentum. Managed to do 4x15.

 

Instead, I need your help for the windmills. When I do them on my right side, I feel pain in my left glute, quite deep actually and this prevents me from being focused on the movement. The pain decreases over sets, but still...I'd like to know what it is. I can say that it is NOT the piriformis (done Kit's stretch, felt amazing and understood the exact position of it) 

 

I mastered the deck squats/skiers, 5x15r with ease. I even feel like I am reducing the momentum also there.

Push ups 15,15,12,10r so very good, in line with previous WO and RC/PE2 mastered, 5x15r with solid tempo.

 

If I can confirm these performance on Sunday, I will then move to FL/PE2, SLS/PE2 and RC/PE3 next week!

Keilani Gutierrez
federicoC said:

I think what you say is nice, but probably I've not been entirely clear. I am adapting pretty fast and well to training. The need for a second rest day is because with my work, I can not optimize recovery further. All variables you listed, and I could add more, are already "optimized". Swimming is demanding, yet, I cope with it very well. Indeed, if you look at what I am going to do, I'm not cutting actually...I'm adding. And this addition takes into account my priority of gaining mobility. I'll give it a shot, and we see where I reach.

went back and you were right, didnt see how you displaced F7 to other days (sometimes that mixes me up, as we can see :P)

oops xD

Jon Douglas
federicoC said:

Back from the first F7 WO for me. I think it is a good deal! This week is week 11 on many elements.

I mastered bHBH/cat-cow where now I really feel comfortable, 5x60s+5x5r were not too much. On the scap shrugs I am getting better and I now understand what Joshua was referring to as decoupling scap movement from the spine. Swivel instead really are a pain, I don't see any improvement.

ABH I did 36s,30s,28s,30s, so there I suffered a bit the previous work. On the tuck up, after couple of times, I now entirely removed momentum. Managed to do 4x15.

Instead, I need your help for the windmills. When I do them on my right side, I feel pain in my left glute, quite deep actually and this prevents me from being focused on the movement. The pain decreases over sets, but still...I'd like to know what it is. I can say that it is NOT the piriformis (done Kit's stretch, felt amazing and understood the exact position of it)

I mastered the deck squats/skiers, 5x15r with ease. I even feel like I am reducing the momentum also there.

Push ups 15,15,12,10r so very good, in line with previous WO and RC/PE2 mastered, 5x15r with solid tempo.

If I can confirm these performance on Sunday, I will then move to FL/PE2, SLS/PE2 and RC/PE3 next week!

Sounds like you're picking up momentum :)

Re the windmills, have you had any hamstring issues lately? Sounds to me like you are stretching a pull or light strain. If not, in your position I would try some calf and glute stretches before windmills; if that solves it then great, if not then it will help you zero in on a possible hamstring issue

That's my first go-to for pretty much any hamstring twinge; so much gets referred from above and below. More qualified people are around who may be able to give you better and more complete suggestions :)

federicoC

@Kellani: no problem at all! ;)

 

@Jon: bingo (I guess). Since when i started stretching 3 months ago I constantly worked on hamstrings because, along with calves, have been extremely stiff, and still are troubling me quite some although I see huge improvements. Btw, why did you think it is a hamstring related problem? 

chobbs
federicoC said:

@Kellani: no problem at all! ;)

 

@Jon: bingo (I guess). Since when i started stretching 3 months ago I constantly worked on hamstrings because, along with calves, have been extremely stiff, and still are troubling me quite some although I see huge improvements. Btw, why did you think it is a hamstring related problem? 

 

I believe Jon was saying take care of above and below the problem area - if the problem still persists then it is a good chance it is related to the area where you are feeling pain. Most hamstring related issues have zero to do with the hamstrings. Tight hips are the biggest culprit.

 

Given your issues with swivel hips I'd say there is a good chance all of the hamstring stretching really isn't helping you at this point, search around and see if stretching something above, below, or in front of the body helps alleviate the pain. Quite often the hamstrings are tight because of other problems and stretching them further, while giving more ROM to toe touches, tends to just make the problem worse.

 

- Chris