Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Proper and legal quoting of Coach Sommer and info from blogs

Aushion Chatman

Aushion Chatman

Coach,

I am currently writing an article for Crossfit San Diego's monthly newsletter. It will be a few articles on how to program a gymnastic focused supplement to a Crossfit routine. I want to discuss many of the things I've learned on this site, but I want to do it the right way so there's no plagiarism problems or simply not giving credit where it's due.

I would like to directly quote some of your blogs and even provide links to your athletes demonstration of some of the pre-habilitation/joint prep movements (like wrist push-ups, wall extensions, etc). What would your rules be for doing this. I have just begun to write the parts where I need to *ahem* "borrow" info from this website. But want to make sure I'm doing it the right way.

FYI my initial thoughts on the outline for this is:

I Conditioning

A Muscular Endurance

B Joint Preparation

C Flexibility

D Body Control

II Strength

A Static

B Dynamic

III Skill Development

A Progression

B Programming

IV Recovery

A Nutrition

B Rest and Recovery Methods

For more info the CFSD newsletter is free and really a small operation, we e-mail it out to our clients, originally we just posted PRs and a few pics of newer members and maybe linked to a Crossfit related article, but we're trying to expand it to include some articles from the trainers in what we're interested in. Any thoughts...or any thoughts on the outline from anyone...

Your best bet would be to stick to a basic stylesheet (MLA, Chicago, etc.) for format and articles/blogs/the book for content reference. Blogs you would treat like an online article with the name of the blog in the title slot. While anything online is generally considered 'published', something is usually only acceptable as a source if it falls under a) fiction writing b) non-fiction (creative or reference) c) technical writing. As far as I've been told and has been discussed, forum-type content is considered conversation so the only acceptable use of it would be exposition in response to a quote or idea, in which case the post would be treated as a quote from the individual.

Take a look at Sample Poliquin Article and note how references are handled at the bottom.

Does that help?