Hi all, I think I might need some help/advice/feeback.
My ego got over-excited when getting alot of rapid strength results when training for the IC. I found out that to prepare for this exercise I could start on a cable cross machine, one arm at a time and with a rope to "simulate" the ring grip. My thinking was that if I keep locked out elbows, and increase the load slowly and steadily, I might have a chance to test my strength on a set of rings, and if it will not work, I'll just scale it by putting my legs up on an object. My body weight is 85kg and I thought that if I can lock out an elbow with a load of 50kg, then both my shoulders/elbows can carry 100kg, which MIGHT make me succeed on a set of rings. So I trained this exercise 3 times a week, starting out at 5kg load - then increasing the load with a maximum of 2,5kg per workout. So after about 7 weeks, which was monday, this week, i injured my forearm - golfer's elbow.. ![]()
Every workout I've done so far I've warmed up well, especially during my "heavier", most recent training days. Some workouts took 2-3 hours just to prepare for my new "personal best".
I do not know where to start, I have so many questions and nobody around me to ask for feedback. I've experimented alot with how to lock out my shoulder/elbow in this exercise and when I googled for some pictures from the Olympic Games I found that most gymnast have slightly forward rotated shoulder (lockout I guess), arm pit pointing forward or slightly upward, and hand/fingers pointing downwards or sometimes hand/fingers pointing (slightly) forward while wrist "rests" on the rings. Is my observation right when it comes to the technique/positioning of the arm (from shoulder to hand)??
I find this exercise fun to do because I can measure progress in numbers, and also I do not have access to a set of rings most of the time. Would you encourage me to keep going with this experiment when my injury has healed but taking a few a few steps back and giving it more time to build more "stable" strength??
Btw I have good XR support hold, XR L-sit, XR HS, decent BL and FL. Regular planches are not there yet, I'm working on it by having my feet on a wall and lean forward.