Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Straddle L Press Handstand

Dominic LeBlanc

Dominic LeBlanc

Hey guys,

So I've been working on a straddle L press handstand for awhile now and I can finally muscle one out. I feel like it's pretty planchey though and I can feel my traps being activated much more strongly on the way down then coming up. My question is whether at this stage it would be more beneficial to work slow negatives and then half press at the bottom or to keep working the positives and focus on opening the shoulders and stacking the hips?

Any thoughts are welcome,

Dom

• 2 weeks later...
Kevin Conley

If you can post a video that would really help.

How many of these are you doing at a time? Likely, you would benefit from doing more standard press handstand training.

Now, I am doing 4x3 straddle press handstands, and I know I can do more straddle-L stradle press handstands than I used to when I was only doing 10x1 straddle press handstand.

I don't know your routine, but if you can outline it, and post a video it would allow someone on the board to really give you a good answer. The likely answer though, is that you are not ready for what you are doing yet.

Also, how long can you old an L-sit? Max press handstands?

I believe he is referring to a press HS from seated (ie. stalder press) and not from standing.  If that is the case - how is your pancake flexibility?  

In the past I found standing press handstands to be easy but couldn't even come close to doing them from seated.  One day I thought "Hey, maybe I need to actually STRETCH first?" so I did a pancake stretch until I got chest to floor (the first time I ever did this) and then BAM I did a stalder press with no more effort than standing press HS...  Long story short, flexibility is a huge component to stalder presses.

So, how good is your pancake?  And can you hold it actively?