This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Mastery of MN/PE1>iM - Stiff Leg Windmill

Started by Sam London, August 6, 2013 · 51 Replies · 2,889 Views

philosopher

I have been experimenting.

Leaning forward while carefully listening to the shoulder makes it possible for me to rotate in a way that causes no snapping. I have to be careful while performing the exercise, or the snapping immediately occurs!

I truly believe that i still have details to master regarding the execution of this exercise...

You should hear the snapping in my lower back while performing MN/PE1..! Very weak abdominal muscles combined with what I believe is a slightly tilted pelvis makes controlled execution of this exercise extremely hard for me. There is a lot to learn! :)

Keilani Gutierrez
philosopher said:

I have been experimenting.

Leaning forward while carefully listening to the shoulder makes it possible for me to rotate in a way that causes no snapping. I have to be careful while performing the exercise, or the snapping immediately occurs!

I truly believe that i still have details to master regarding the execution of this exercise...

You should hear the snapping in my lower back while performing MN/PE1..! Very weak abdominal muscles combined with what I believe is a slightly tilted pelvis makes controlled execution of this exercise extremely hard for me. There is a lot to learn! :)

roll your spinal erectors. you will see stars, but you will immediately be released from your lower backs grasp! it was trippy when I did it

Bipocni
KeilaniG said:

roll your spinal erectors. you will see stars, but you will immediately be released from your lower backs grasp! it was trippy when I did it

He's not joking.  I had a tattoo done on my spine and I could vividly see it floating in front of me, it hurt so bad.  Your spine doesn't like being F---ed with.

Keilani Gutierrez
Bipocni said:

He's not joking.  I had a tattoo done on my spine and I could vividly see it floating in front of me, it hurt so bad.  Your spine doesn't like being F---ed with.

as a word of caution to those attempting this, do not roll over the spine. focus on one side of the spine to roll each muscle group and work your way up and down a side then, completely avoiding rolling on the spine itself, roll the other column of spinal erectors. 

ausswe

I found if I actively push my arm up and away from me then I get no clicking noises in my shoulder. Anyone tried this?

Bipocni
ausswe said:

I found if I actively push my arm up and away from me then I get no clicking noises in my shoulder. Anyone tried this?

I think this is the opposite of what you want.  You're supposed to screw the arm into the socket, to the best of my knowledge.

Riku Calderón

Is there some "weight limit" for the mastery. I have always done this whit 5kg. Shoud i add more weight? Im in week 10 now and i think i have the full ROM. I'll post video next week.

ausswe

When I push my arm up all I'm doing really is elevating my scapula.

philosopher

Citing myself

ausswe said:

I found if I actively push my arm up and away from me then I get no clicking noises in my shoulder. Anyone tried this?

Citing myself: "I tried to "pull" my shoulder in its socket and did sometimes notice what I thought was less snapping. I tried the reverse, reaching far up with my arm, and was able to feel less snapping, that way as well."

Coach Sommer

You need to do both; push the arm up while rolling the shoulder.

 

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

ausswe

Yay I finally did something right first go!

Bipocni
Coach Sommer said:

You need to do both; push the arm up while rolling the shoulder.

 

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

So, I push at the top of the movement or the bottom of the movement?

Coach Sommer

Yes and Yes.  You push upward the entire time.

 

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

Bipocni
Coach Sommer said:

Yes and Yes.  You push upward the entire time.

 

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

:facepalm:

LateStarter@46
Bipocni said:

:facepalm:

I am sorry if it was me causing the confusion there - I did say screw the arm right down as you go downwards in a previous post (after attending a seminar). I guess it is actually screw yourself downwards via the shoulder whilst the arm has rotated as far as it can go.

Consider me an unreliable source  :facepalm:

john_c

I followed the cue to push up really hard and it made a big difference with my form and execution and was able to maintain a good position for the dumbbell. I was having a problem with the  dumbbell straying  on the way back up with possible risk to my shoulder and that's only with 3kg.

I do find this iM physically really difficult. My heart rate pumps right up to about 150 by the time I have finished the last rep. After my final set of skiers its only at about 140 !!

FredInChina
LateStarter@46 said:

(...) screw yourself downwards via the shoulder (...)

 

:Gulp: :blink:

Can you post a video?     ........... #GBCommunityVideo

 

 

:lol:

Jon Douglas
FredInChina said:

:Gulp: :blink:

Can you post a video?     ........... #GBCommunityVideo

 

 

:lol:

LOL, as if that'd pass staff review :P

LateStarter@46

Hee hee! I did pause over that sentence before posting it. Nearly replaced 'screw' with 'force' and then I thought I was being silly worrying about semantics...

 

The point I was trying to make to you kiddies was that your upper torso bends down as far as possible to stretch the hamstrings - all the while trying not to drop the screwed round weight on your head. Comprendez?  :P

isaac

Hi all,

 

I have been struggling with the stiff legged Windmill for the past 2 months and have searched the forum without finding an obvious answer. I figured it was time to query your expertise. 

 

My problem is that during the descent I feel a strong pinch in my obliques on the side being compressed. The feeling is much worse on the right side then the left. It feels like my oblique is being mashed between my ribcage and my hip. This greatly limits the stretch, as the pain from the pinch stops me from continuing the windmill long before I feel a stretch in any musculature. 

 

This pain can be slightly ameliorated by leaning greatly forward (about the 11 o'clock and 1 o'clock positions) , but that doesn't match the form in the video. 

 

Your responses are appreciated.

Bipocni

Do you keep your torso completely straight whilst bending at the hips?

isaac
Bipocni said:

Do you keep your torso completely straight whilst bending at the hips?

No, I have been bending at all points along my spine in an attempt to reach towards the floor. If I keep my torso straight I get a stretch in my lower back and right above the hip. It feels much better that way. The stretch is stronger when I push my hips way out to the side. Is that acceptable form?

Coach Sommer

Yes, the hips should press out to the side.

 

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

isaac
Coach Sommer said:

Yes, the hips should press out to the side.

 

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

Ah, excellent. I tried extending my hips out to the side and holding my torso straight for a couple of workouts and the difference is huge. I feel like I already have a significant ROM increase. It is too bad I waited 2 months to ask for help, haha.

 

Thanks again Coach and Bipocni for your guidance.

Ronin168

i have 3 questions:

 

1. does it matter what angle (angle between trunk and hips) you lower your body at?  i tend to lower my body at 45 degrees, while it appears that the athlete in the video lowers at 90 degrees.

2. is it normal for the back to round a little bit during this move?

3. when i lower myself all the way down, does it matter if the hand supporting the weight faces the exact angle that it was facing before lowering the body down?  because my hand ALMOST faces the exact angle it was at when i was standing upright, but not quite.

 

thanks