Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

losing body fat

Trent Whalin

Connor Davies

....most regrettably share the tendency of drinking hot beer with the Pommies. :)

Having lived in the UK for 5 years now, I have to say I've never seen someone drink a "hot" beer.  Although I will have to say that the cold ones... aren't... quite... cold......

Regardless, drinking a lot of water does help with body composition and weight loss.  But I don't think it has anything to do with burning calories.  It's just good for you.

FREDERIC DUPONT

Having lived in the UK for 5 years now, I have to say I've never seen someone drink a "hot" beer.  Although I will have to say that the cold ones... aren't... quite... cold......

Regardless, drinking a lot of water does help with body composition and weight loss.  But I don't think it has anything to do with burning calories.  It's just good for you.

Agreed on both counts :)

Daniel Burnham

Cant go wrong with too much water! Regardless of hot or cold. Drink it!

While most probably don't drink enough water. You absolutely can get too much. Especially if you aren't getting adequate electrolytes (sodium).

• Upvote 1

Marios Roussos

While most probably don't drink enough water. You absolutely can get too much. Especially if you aren't getting adequate electrolytes (sodium).

Agreed, that kind of thinking can not infrequently lead to hyponatremia (low sodium concentrations in the blood) during long-distance events. Though most people will probably only experience some weakness and increased urinary frequency, if severe enough, it can lead to brain swelling and seizures.

Here's a paper looking at the incidence and risk factors of hyponatremia during the Boston marathon: http://www.nejm.org/doi/pdf/10.1056/NEJMoa043901

Notice that post-race weight was higher than pre-race weight in the majority of those with hyponatremia, which is indicative of overhydration rather than not taking in enough salt.

Connor Davies

Cant go wrong with too much water! Regardless of hot or cold. Drink it!

In Australia we'd get the stories every summer of European tourists drinking too much water every day and drowning themselves from the inside out.  Stay shy of 12-14 liters a day and you'll probably be alright...

Jon Douglas

In Australia we'd get the stories every summer of European tourists drinking too much water every day and drowning themselves from the inside out.  Stay shy of 12-14 liters a day and you'll probably be alright...

And dying of dehydration by drinking white wine to keep cool in summer :)

When we have heatwaves, we have serious heatwaves.

Graham Smith

Yeah, you have to force feed yourself a LOT of water for it to be a concern.  Back when I was working in mining I used to easily go through 10 to 15 litres a day without having to pee, and I did need to top up the electrolytes (although interestingly over time my body adapted and my sweat stopped being salty...).

Drink enough so that you have to pee regularly, but don't be forcing it down.  If you're working hard and it's really hot, consider the gatorade route.

The main advantage of water is that your body is nothing more than a giant chemical factory, water is an essential solvent to facilitate the reactions that burn fat, fuel your body etc.  While it won't burn fat, it will facilitate the burning of fat.

Graham Smith

And dying of dehydration by drinking white wine to keep cool in summer :)

When we have heatwaves, we have serious heatwaves.

There was a German tourist a few years back who broke down on the Canning Stock route (Literally a dirt track through the harshest part of the country)  He was found to have carried no water with him, but had 40 litres of beer in the car.  I think that entitles you to automatic citizenship.

• Upvote 2

Marios Roussos

Yeah, you have to force feed yourself a LOT of water for it to be a concern.  Back when I was working in mining I used to easily go through 10 to 15 litres a day without having to pee, and I did need to top up the electrolytes (although interestingly over time my body adapted and my sweat stopped being salty...).

Drink enough so that you have to pee regularly, but don't be forcing it down.  If you're working hard and it's really hot, consider the gatorade route.

The main advantage of water is that your body is nothing more than a giant chemical factory, water is an essential solvent to facilitate the reactions that burn fat, fuel your body etc.  While it won't burn fat, it will facilitate the burning of fat.

The fact that you had to pee makes it sound like you were drinking an appropriate amount of water for the amount you were losing over the course of the day. You're right that even in non-exercising people, the kidneys can usually handle up to 12L of water/24h without hyponatremia occuring.

There's a curious interplay that happens in very strenuous long-distance endurance events however where people ingest a large amount of water because of the old mantra of "drink as much as you can to prevent dehydration" but where in addition to that, antidiuretic hormone (ADH) levels aren't appropriately suppressed due to the stress the body is going through. The large amounts of water intake, coupled with the inappropriate secretion of ADH are what probably leads to the hyponatremia (ADH usually causes the kidneys to retain water during periods of insufficient water intake or low blood pressure).

Seizures and cerebral edema are in fact rare, but nausea/vomiting, weakness, dizziness and lethargy due to hyponatremia are not uncommon during marathons and ruin the athlete's event despite being preventable. Current recommendations are to drink according to thirst, and despite being studied, there's no evidence that sports drinks lower the risk.

I'm curious about the water facilitating fat burning; I've never come across that before. Do you know of any good sources where I can read more about it?

Karl Kallio

Personally I have the bad mindset of needing "yummy little special snacks" throughout the day.  It can be green tea or deep fried mars bars.  So organic blueberries or some special tea is a way of continuing the habit without falling into the daily doughnut trap.  Its not the super food that is healthy, its the fact that it cons me into staying away from the disaster food.

• Upvote 1

- Boiling water kills most germs, fecal bacteria, amoeba, maybe some worms eggs, and a lot of various nasty parasites. Chemicals are the least of your worries when drinking water some places.

- Chinese drink hot water because of cultural reasons. Albeit, if you ask them, they'll all have a different form of rationalizing what I think is mostly a habit. They regard westerner's habit of drinking cold water as bad for health, and most regrettably share the tendency of drinking hot beer with the Pommies. :)

That stuff is most likely already filtered out unless you don't live in a city, if it weren't, there wouldn't be any population control issues anymore l;ol.

I'm more concerned about the traces of chemicals, medications and estrogenic compounds that don't get filtered out, it's an extremely small amount, but I suppose it adds up if you drink a lot of water. Plus, the same stuff is in conventional meat and dairy, could be minimized by eating organic food, but come on, most of us can't afford to pay triple the price for meat. A bit ofit here and a bit of it there and you start running into problems.

PIIS001078241100179X.gr1.lrg.jpg

The treatment of water isn't extremely effective. Reverse osmosis filter augmented by pre- and post-activated carbon filters is probably the best water treatment available right now (as far as I know), but who's going to bother with that...

FREDERIC DUPONT

That stuff is most likely already filtered out  (...)

Let me guess here: you live in a temperate country of the first world... :)

• Upvote 3

Let me guess here: you live in a temperate country of the first world... :)

Haha, when my mom found out I'd been drinking water in the shower in Karachi (I was 7), she freaked out. Tap water there is gross; I've seen the delivery systems, it makes you not want to wash your hands.

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...

Tap water there is gross; [...]it makes you not want to wash your hands.

One point if you want to use bottled water to brush your teeth, five if you use bottled water to rinse at the end of washing your hair, twenty if you use swim goggles and a snorkle in the shower.

• Upvote 1

Keilani Gutierrez

One point if you want to use bottled water to brush your teeth, five if you use bottled water to rinse at the end of washing your hair, twenty if you use swim goggles and a snorkle in the shower.

I have an ex-gf that lives in Binghamton and when I took a shower at her house, it was my first experience taking a shower with natural gases in it and i literally came out of the shower smelling like rotten hard boiled eggs from the Sulfur. it was rad :D 

Important Information

Please review our Privacy Policy at Privacy Policy before using the forums.