I only get rips on my right hand

Started by Blake12, July 30, 2013 · 6 Replies · 4,524 Views

Blake12

I've been doing gymnastics work for around 8 months or so now and at first I'd get rips on both hands all the time. Now lately I've only been ripping on my right hand which is my dominate side. For example kips on parallel bars tear my right hand to shreds while my left hand might get a minor rip from time to time. I know I'm just compensating with my right to make skills easier but I could be wrong.

 

What should I do to fix this? Should I do some 1 arm conditioning or should I just stick to normal conditioning and let my left catch up to where I won't need to compensate and just be weaker on my left side.

FredInChina

Good observation, and good question :)

Coach Sommer

Relax the grip on your right hand.  You are subconsciously squeezing your dominant hand too tightly.

 

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

Adrien

How long can you hang from a bar with one arm left/right?

In many ways I found that my brain somehow didn't trust my left (non-dominant) hand, and working on grip with grip tools didn't change much for me. But building up one arm hang for time has seemed to help me much more.

Coach Sommer

How long can you hang from a bar with one arm left/right? ... building up one arm hang for time has seemed to help me much more.

 

 

Irrelevant.  

 

Simply practice relaxing your right hand somewhat and keep working.  I promise that this issue is self correcting and will resolve itself naturally for the simple reason that if you don't learn to relax the grip, you will continue to rip the skin off the palm of your hand.  

 

Pain is a very effective teacher.   :icon_twisted:

 

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

Blake12
Coach Sommer said:

Relax the grip on your right hand.  You are subconsciously squeezing your dominant hand too tightly.

 

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

Good idea! Now that I think about it I grip much harder with my right hand. I'm 99% sure this is the issue I just have to see how my next practice goes.

 

EDIT

 

Coach, Will relaxing my grip help with both PB and HB?

piotro

Light grip for HB giants/swings.

You can read Coach's advice here:

https://www.gymnasticbodies.com/forum/topic/5458-different-swings-how-many-how-often-question-to-a-gymn/#entry54992

Also use chalk, esp for wooden apparatus (rings, PB) and no grips, I remember (esp my hands ) difference when I started using it, sweaty hand on wood is not good.

Although still trying PB stuff (swings, kips, etc) feels pretty bad for me ;) (and I do have some solid calluses on my hands), could be that I also have to work on relaxing grip a bit, will try next time in the gym.