Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Flash Kick Prerequisites/Progressions

JuicedDuck

I am very interested in learning this move called a flash kick:

I think some prerequisites would be a backtuck, roundoff and back layout.

Is there anything else you guys recommend I learn to safely learn a flash kick?

Sailor Venus

Asking on a tricking forum is your best bet. There are trickers here but not many. Hopefully they'll help you.

Joshua Slocum

Asking on a tricking forum is your best bet. There are trickers here but not many. Hopefully they'll help you.

Actually, the move in the video is also a gymnastics skill called a side-semi.

You should learn a good roundoff back layout, and a good layout on trampoline. Then experiment with adding the 1/4 twist on trampoline, until you find it effortless. Then do it out of a roundoff.

yuri marmerstein

A martial arts based tricking flash kick doesn't usually follow standard gymnastics technique, depending on the technique you use.  Usually there is no turn though, it is not the same skill as a straddled side summi. 
Depending on who you are and how you move, a flash kick would be a stylized layout stepout.  They are performed differently by martial artists and gymnasts for a different look. 

Work a lot of standing tucks and standing open tucks.  Work a lot on roundoffs.

Layout is helpful but a standard straight body gymnastics layout is not necessary for this. 

That skill performed wasn't really a side somi. He did a 1/4 out to land for some reason.

When I think "Flash Kick" I think back to Guile from Street Fighter II taking a knee and then performing a back flip one leg at a time in a split. "Haley" in StickIt also does 3 in a row on her floor routine where it's basically like a layout step-out on Balance Beam.

After learning how to back flip on a trampoline and from standing, I simply took it to trampoline where I would drop to a knee lunge and then back flip and split in the air. You could also work them from a standing bounce focusing on kicking one leg at a time up and over.

Been a long time since I've done one. Can't even remember. Maybe 2003? Or 2005. I know I haven't done one on floor since at least 2003.

Every once in awhile I used to run toward the fence from the floor in the gym where the kids would wait to come into class, take a step into a knee lunge and kick. They loved it though I remember some people saying my head was barely above the floor since you whip yourself into it. And it would rug burn my back foot.

You tend to do stupid things in your young 20's. Too bad I don't remember it impressing any of the chics there. 

Thanks for the replies!

I did some youtubing and the layout stepout seems to be the closest to a flash kick.

I will definitely be working on my backtucks and roundoffs. But I'm not sure what a 'standing open tuck' (that Yuri mentioned) is though.

I tried googling but nothing comes up.

Joshua Slocum

A tuck where you don't grab your legs to help pull them in

To be more specific, an open tuck is a tucked position where your legs are not pulled as tightly into your chest. In a completely closed tuck, your thighs are pressed right up against your chest. In a completely open tuck, your thighs are sticking straight out from your body or even a little down (but the knees remain fully bent). 

No, a Tuck open is where you flip in a tucked position extending the hips and legs open in the air like a layout. Ideally opening up while inverted at a vertical angle.

You can refer it to a non tightly tucked position as well but when you say tuck/pike open, it means to open the hips in mid air.