Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Vegemite/Marmite beneficial or Harmful?

Guest SuperBru

Guest SuperBru

Yes, as they say eat a balanced diet. I am concerned with a number of ingredients, the reason being they are foreign to me, such as yeast extract, mineral salt, malt extract, colour 150c, flavours and niacin.   

Keilani Gutierrez

nothing a good 10-15 min google session couldn't help. some of the names i was worried about even in whole foods turned out to be the names of the vitamins. just sit down and search them one per one :) 

Guest SuperBru

nothing a good 10-15 min google session couldn't help. some of the names i was worried about even in whole foods turned out to be the names of the vitamins. just sit down and search them one per one :)

Did you know that only 10% of the human knowledge is on the internet. ;) Does that make me a hypocrite for asking this question on the internet? I think so. :facepalm:

Keilani Gutierrez

not so much. just follow simple and fool proof guidelines. if you're in the ballpark of getting your basic nutrition down, follow joshs guidelines. if you want specifics of "dont eat this, dont eat that" worry about that when you're 100% whole foods.

this lady at the grocery store had the audacity to make a comment about my choice of groceries when she saw my box of pop tarts(two of them, might I add) and during the brief 10 second wncounter we had, she didnt commend my entirely whole food selection. (meat, veggies, sweet and regular potatoes) not one other processed item besides the poptarts. i figure im gonna stop buying them if i cant get the discipline to only eat them post workout.

start there, if you want a "what to, what not too" list to start making healthier decisions. this past month or so, when i skip meals, i feel it. when i dont, i feel awesome.

i've also noticed, i feel less guilty about what im eating. it's heightened my mood for eating, i look forward to my "boring" selection as my father has called it.

which is funny, he asked me how he could lose 15lbs, i told him what i've been doing in probably 5-6 sentences and his answer was "yeah im not gonna do that."

some people, ya know? hahaha

• Upvote 1

Martin de Jesus Ponce Robaldino

Did you know that only 10% of the human knowledge is on the internet. ;) Does that make me a hypocrite for asking this question on the internet? I think so. :facepalm:

the rest 90% is in the practise =)

Guest SuperBru

the rest 90% is in the practise =)

Or books. I have learn't more from reading one book than I have from the internet, which I have been using for a long time.

FREDERIC DUPONT

(...) I have learn't more from reading one book than I have from the internet (...)

Maybe it is time to read a second one then... ;)

Guest SuperBru

Maybe it is time to read a second one then... ;)

I'm busy reading 'The China Study' and it's a real eye opener!

• Upvote 1

George Vere

I was wondering whether I should post that... 

I read as much as I can in general.

What can we say about books that are on the internet?  :)

Anyway, this is off topic.

Josh Schmitter

The OP brought it off topic, so I feel a little leeway :). Also, I would say to definitely finish The China Study book before going through Minger's post.

Guest SuperBru

Whether 'The China Study' is fact or fiction one thing will always be true, plant-based foods and whole foods are exceptionally good for you. 

• Upvote 1

Josh Schmitter

Whether 'The China Study' is fact or fiction one thing will always be true, plant-based foods and whole foods are exceptionally good for you. 

As long as liver and eggs remain "whole foods", we're on the same page :).

Guest SuperBru

Liver is packed with nutrients so keep on eating it and eggs are good for you, however be careful they are high in cholesterol. 

Josh Schmitter

Check out Chris Masterjohn if you're under the impression cholesterol is bad. Also dietary cholesterol has little to no effect in most people, and in the ones it does, it raises total cholesterol, keeping the ratio(the more important part) constant.

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...

Check out Chris Masterjohn if you're under the impression cholesterol is bad. Also dietary cholesterol has little to no effect in most people, and in the ones it does, it raises total cholesterol, keeping the ratio(the more important part) constant.

It would seem that high trans fatty acid intake is a greater contributor to our cholesterol woes. One of the more potent reasons highly processed foods are problematic.

Graham Smith

Vegemite and marmite are made from the "trub" which forms when brewing beer. hence it contains yeast extract, malt extract etc.  When beer is fermenting, various bits and pieces from within the barley malt liquid ("wort") settle out of suspension, including live and dead yeast, proteins, long chain sugars and other goodies.  This forms a sludge at the bottom of the fermenting vessel.

I don't know the recipe, but I would imagine that they boil it down to thicken it add salt to burst the yeast cells and for flavor.  some caramelised sugars are probably added for flavour and colour, and it will be washed to get rid of any lingering bitter hop oils.

Personally when I'm brewing I throw the trub straight into my watering can, dilute it and put it on the veggie garden, the stuff acts like steroids for plants!

This thread has just reminded me that I need to drink less beer and train harder... :unsure:

• 2 weeks later...
Connor Davies

...he asked me how he could lose 15lbs, I told him what I've been doing in probably 5-6 sentences and his answer was "yeah I'm not gonna do that."

This is about 99% of people...

I love watching people try stupid diet after stupid diet and I'm scratching my head like "can't you just eat less and exercise more?"

Their answer?

"yeah I'm not gonna do that."

:facepalm:

Keilani Gutierrez

This is about 99% of people...

I love watching people try stupid diet after stupid diet and I'm scratching my head like "can't you just eat less and exercise more?"

Their answer?

:facepalm:

last week he came down with Dengue, which is a nasty fever, coupled with projectile diarrhea and vomit. once it's all gone, you start developing some red splotches all over your body. people have died of it. 

I succumbed due to taking care of him one day and I(did not have a good one) but I got sick while he was already in the beginning torture and I was already recovered before he was through it.

I'm really glad it wasn't as bad as I could have gotten it. 

mom/dad think i've turned muscle head....when in reality the thing i've enjoyed the most is a better immune system. 

Important Information

Please review our Privacy Policy at Privacy Policy before using the forums.