Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

The Top Tens-Vitamins

Guest SuperBru

Guest SuperBru

Vitamin A

Vitamin A is an essential vitamin required for vision, gene transcription, boosting immune function, and great skin health. A deficiency in vitamin A can lead to blindness and increased viral infection, however deficiency is only considered a problem in developing countries where it is a leading cause of blindness in children. Over consumption of vitamin A can lead to jaundice, nausea, loss of appetite, irritability, vomiting, and even hair loss. The current percent daily value for Vitamin A is 5000 international units (IU). Below is a list of foods high in Vitamin A.

1. Liver
  2. Paprika, Red Pepper, Cayenne, Chili Powder 
  3. Sweet Potatoes 
  4. Carrots 
  5. Dark Leafy Greens 
  6. Butternut Squash
  7. Dried Herbs
  8. Lettuce
  9. Dried Apricots
  10. Cantaloupe 

Beta Carotene

Beta Carotene is a carotenoid compound responsible for giving fruits and vegetables their orange pigment. A powerful antioxidant, beta carotene has been found to help protect against cancer and aging. Beta-carotene is a fat soluble vitamin, so eating the following foods with a fat like olive oil or nuts can help absorption. Below is a list of high beta-carotene foods.

1. Sweet Potato
  2. Kale 
  3. Carrots 
  4. Turnip Greens
  5. Mustard Greens
  6. Spinach
  7. Dried Herbs
  8. Butternut Squash
  9. Lettuce 
  10. Collards

Vitamin B1

Vitamin B1, Thiamin, or Thiamine, is an essential nutrient required by the body for maintaining cellular function and consequently a wide array of organ functions. Deficiency of vitamin B1 leads to wholesale degeneration of the body, particularly the nervous and circulatory systems, and eventually death. Further, deficiency of vitamin B1 can lead to development of beriberi and/or Wernicke-Korsakoff syndrome. Symptoms of both include severe fatigue, and degeneration of cardiovascular, nervous, muscular, and gastrointestinal systems. Over-consumption of vitamin B1 is unknown and studies show that amounts taken well in excess of the DV can actually enhance brain functioning. The current percent daily value for vitamin B1 is 1.4mg, below are the top ten foods highest in vitamin B1, or thiamin.

1. Yeast Extract Spread (Marmite) 
  2. Sesame Butter (Tahini) and Seeds
  3. Sunflower Seeds
  4. Dried Herbs and Spices
  5. Pork Chops
  6. Pine Nuts
  7. Pistachios
  8. Macadamia Nuts
  9. Fish
  10. Pecans

Vitamin B2

Vitamin B2, or Riboflavin, is an essential vitamin required for proper energy metabolism and a wide variety of cellular processes. A deficiency of riboflavin can lead to cracking and reddening of the lips, inflammation of the mouth, mouth ulcers, soar throat, and even iron deficiency anemia. Riboflavin, Vitamin B2, is a water soluble vitamin that is well regulated by the body, thus overdose is rare, and usually only occurs during vitamin B2 injection. The current DV for Riboflavin (Vitamin B2) is 1.7mg, below is a list of the top ten foods highest in vitamin B2.

2. Liver
  3. Dried Herbs, Spices, and Peppers 
  4. Almonds 
  5. Dry Roasted Soybeans (Edamame) 
  6. Cheese (Roquefort, Brie, Limburger)
  7. Wheat Bran
  8. Fish (Mackerel, Atlantic Salmon, Trout) 
  9. Sesame Seeds 
  10. Sun-dried Tomatoes 

Vitamin B3

Vitamin B3, or Niacin, is an essential vitamin required for processing fat in the body, lowering cholesterol levels, and regulating blood sugar levels. A deficiency of niacin leads to pellagra, a condition characterized by diarrhea, dermatitis, dementia, inflammation of the mouth, amnesia, delirium, and if left untreated, death. Even a slight deficiency of niacin can lead to irritability, poor concentration, anxiety, fatigue, restlessness, apathy, and depression. Niacin, Vitamin B3, is a water soluble vitamin that is well regulated by the body, thus overdose is rare, and only occurs when niacin is taken in the form of supplements. An overdose of niacin is seen in the form of skin rashes, dry skin, various digestive maladies. A long term overdose can lead to liver damage, elevated blood sugar levels and type II diabetes, as well as increased risk of birth defects. The current DV for Niacin (Vitamin B3) is 20mg, below is a list of niacin rich foods. 

2. Bran (Rice and Wheat)
  3. Fish (Anchovies, Tuna, Swordfish) 
  4. Liver
  5. Paprika 
  6. Peanuts
  7. Veal (Lean) 
  8. Chicken (Light Meat) 
  9. Bacon
  10. Sun-dried Tomatoes

Vitamin B5

Vitamin B5, or Pantothenic Acid, is an essential vitamin required by the body for cellular processes and optimal maintenance of fat. A deficiency of vitamin B5 is rare, however, when it does occur is usually seen in the form of irritability, fatigue, apathy, numbness, paresthesia, and muscle cramps. It can also lead to increased sensitivity to insulin, or hypoglycemia. Pantothenic Acid, Vitamin B5, is a water soluble vitamin that is well regulated by the body, thus overdose is rare, and may only be noticed in the form of slight digestive complaints or diarrhea. The current DV for Pantothenic Acid (Vitamin B5) is 10mg, below is a list of vitamin B5 rich foods.

1. Liver
  2. Bran (Rice and Wheat) 
  3. Sunflower Seeds 
  4. Whey Powder 
  5. Mushrooms
  6. Caviar
  7. Cheese 
  8. Sun-dried Tomatoes 
  9. Fish
  10. Avocados

Vitamin B6

Vitamin B-6 (pyridoxine, pyridoxal, pyridoxamine) is a water soluble vitamin necessary for the proper maintenance of red blood cell metabolism, the nervous system, the immune system, and many other bodily functions. Over time, a deficiency in vitamin B-6 can lead to skin inflammation (dermatitis) depression, confusion, convulsions, and even anemia. Recent studies also suggest that a diet low in vitamin B6 increases risk of heart attack. Conversely, too much vitamin B6 taken from supplements can lead to nerve damage in the arms and legs. The DV for vitamin B6 is 2mg per day. Below is a list of foods high in vitamin B6.

1. Bran (Rice and Wheat) 
  2. Dried Herbs and Spices
  3. Pistachios
  4. Garlic (Raw) 
  5. Liver
  6. Fish (Tuna, Salmon, and Cod) 
  7. Sunflower and Sesame Seeds (Also Tahini) 
  8. Pork Tenderloin (Lean) 
  9. Molasses and Sorghum Syrup 
  10. Hazelnuts Or Filberts

Vitamin B9

Vitamin B9 (aka: folate, folic acid, folicin) is a water-soluble B vitamin with many rich natural sources. Vitamin B9 (folate) is required for numerous body functions including DNA synthesis and repair, cell division, and cell growth. A deficiency of folate can lead to anemia in adults, and slower development in children. For pregnant women, folate is especially important for proper fetal development. Folate, Vitamin B9, is a water soluble vitamin that is well regulated by the body, thus overdose is rare in natural food sources, and can only occur from supplements. The current DV for Folate (Vitamin B9) is 400μg. Below is a list of foods high in folate.

2. Liver
  3. Dried Herbs
  4. Sunflower Seeds
  5. Dry Roasted Soybeans (Edamame) 
  6. Dark Leafy Greens (Spinach, Turnip Greens, Collards)
  7. Bean Sprouts (Soybean and Pea)
  8. Beans (Pinto, Garbanzo, Mung) 
  9. Asparagus
  10. Peanuts
Vitamin B12

Vitamin B-12, or Cobalamin, is the largest and most complex vitamin currently known to man. A slight deficiency of vitamin B-12 can lead to anemia, fatigue, mania, and depression, while a long term deficiency can cause permanent damage to the brain and central nervous system. Vitamin B12 can only be manufactured by bacteria and can only be found naturally in animal products, however, synthetic forms are widely available and added to many foods like cereals. Vitamin B12 can be consumed in large doses because excess is excreted by the body or stored in the liver for use when supplies are scarce. Stores of B12 can last for up to a year. Below are the top 10 foods highest in vitamin B12.
  1. Clams, Oysters, and Mussels 
  2. Liver
  3. Caviar (Fish Eggs) 
  4. Octopus
  5. Fish
  6. Crab and Lobster 
  7. Beef
  8. Lamb (Mutton) 
  9. Cheese
  10. Eggs 

Vitamin C

Vitamin C is an essential nutrient required by the body for the development and maintenance of scar tissue, blood vessels, and cartilage. Vitamin C is also necessary for creating ATP, dopamine, peptide hormones, and tyrosine. As a powerful antioxidant, vitamin C helps lessen oxidative stress to the body and is thought to lower cancer risk. The current DV for vitamin C is 60mg, below is a list of foods high in vitamin C.

1. Red and Green Hot Chili Peppers
  2. Guavas
  3. Bell Peppers
  4. Fresh Herbs (Thyme and Parsley)
  5. Dark Leafy Greens (Kale, Mustard Greens, Garden Cress)
  6. Broccoli, Cauliflower, Brussels Sprouts
  7. Kiwi Fruits (Chinese Gooseberries)
  8. Papayas (aka: Lechoza, Mamão, Pawpaw)
  9. Oranges and Clementines (Tangerines)
  10. Strawberries

Vitamin D

Vitamin D is an essential vitamin required by the body for the proper absorption of calcium, bone development, control of cell growth, neuromuscular functioning, proper immune functioning, and alleviation of inflammation. A deficiency in vitamin D can lead to rickets, a disease in which bones fail to properly develop. Further, inadequate levels of vitamin D can lead to a weakened immune system, increased cancer risk, poor hair growth, and osteomalacia, a condition of weakened muscles and bones. Conversely, excess vitamin D can cause the body to absorb too much calcium, leading to increased risk of heart attack and kidney stones. The current U.S. DV for vitamin D is 600 IU (international units) and the toxicity threshold for vitamin D is thought to be 10,000 to 40,000 IU/day.2 Vitamin D is oil soluble, which means you need to eat fat to absorb it. It is naturally found mainly in fish oils, fatty fish, and to a lesser extent in beef liver, cheese, egg yolks, and certain mushrooms. Vitamin D is also naturally made by your body when you expose your skin to the sun, and thus, is called the sun-shine vitamin. In addition, vitamin D is widely added to many foods such as milk and orange juice, and can also simply be consumed as a supplement. Below is a list of high vitamin D foods.

1. Cod Liver Oil
  2. Fish
  3. Fortified Cereals
  4. Oysters
  5. Caviar (Black and Red)
  6. Fortified Soy Products (Tofu and Soy Milk)
  7. Salami, Ham, and Sausages
  8. Fortified Dairy Products
  9. Eggs
  10. Mushrooms 
 Vitamin E

Vitamin E is a group of 8 fat-soluble vitamins which help prevent oxidative stress to the body, and other vitamins within the body. Adequate amounts of vitamin E can help protect against heart disease, cancer, and age related eye damage (macular degeneration). Conversely, too much vitamin E from supplements can lead to excessive bleeding, or hemorrhaging. Vitamin E foods, like the ones listed below, are considered to be safe and healthy. The current DV for vitamin E is 20mg. Below is a list of foods high in vitamin E.
  1. Sunflower Seeds
  2. Paprika and Red Chili Powder
  3. Almonds
  4. Pine Nuts
  5. Peanuts
  6. Dried Herbs (Basil And Oregano)
  7. Dried Apricots
  8. Pickled Green Olives
  9. Cooked Spinach
  10. Cooked Taro Root

Vitamin K

Vitamin K is an essential vitamin required for protein modification and blood clotting. Recent studies suggest that vitamin K may play a role in treating osteoporosis and Alzheimer's, and that consuming increased levels of vitamin K can help protect against cancer and heart disease. Unless you are taking medicaiton to prevent blood clots, like Warfarin or Coumadin, there is no known risk of vitamin K toxicity, and no reason not to eat a lot of it. Below is a list of foods high in vitamin K1. The current percent daily value for Vitamin K is 80 micrograms (μg).

1. Herbs (Dried and Fresh)
  2. Dark Leafy Greens
  3. Spring Onions (Scallions) 
  4. Brussels Sprouts
  5. Broccoli
  6. Chili Powder, Curry, Paprika, and Cayenne
  7. Asparagus 
  8. Cabbage 
  9. Pickled Cucumber 
  10. Prunes

Lycopene

Lycopene is currently the most powerful antioxidant which has been measured in food2 and is thought to play a role in preventing cancer and heart disease. How large a protective role lycopene plays is a controversial issue which is still under scientific study. Lycopene is a carotenoid that gives many fruits and vegetables their red colour, eating lycopene in excess amounts can cause the skin and liver to have a yellow colour. Unlike other carotenes, lycopene does not get converted into vitamin A. There are no known symptoms of a lycopene deficiency, and no DV for lycopene. Below is a list of high lycopene foods.

1. Tomatoes (Sun-Dried, Cooked, Raw) 
  2. Guavas (Pink and/or Strawberry) 
  3. Watermelon 
  4. Grapefruit (Pink and Red) 
  5. Dried Parsley and Basil 
  6. Persimmons 
  7. Asparagus
  8. Liver (Pâté) 
  9. Chili Powder 
  10. Red Cabbage

References

HealthAliciousNess. (n.d.). Top 10 Foods Highest in Vitamin A. Retrieved from http://www.healthaliciousness.com/articles/food-sources-of-vitamin-A.php

HealthAliciousNess. (n.d.). Top 10 Foods Highest in Beta Carotene. Retrieved from http://www.healthaliciousness.com/articles/natural-food-sources-of-beta-carotene.php

HealthAliciousNess. (n.d.). Top 10 Foods Highest in Thiamin (Vitamin B1). Retrieved from http://www.healthaliciousness.com/articles/thiamin-b1-foods.php

HealthAliciousNess. (n.d.). Top 10 Foods Highest in Vitamin B2 (Riboflavin). Retrieved from http://www.healthaliciousness.com/articles/foods-high-in-riboflavin-vitamin-B2.php

HealthAliciousNess. (n.d.). Top 10 Foods Highest in Vitamin B3 (Niacin). Retrieved from http://www.healthaliciousness.com/articles/foods-high-in-niacin-vitamin-B3.php

HealthAliciousNess. (n.d.). Top 10 Foods Highest in Vitamin B5 (Pantothenic Acid). Retrieved from http://www.healthaliciousness.com/articles/foods-high-in-pantothenic-acid-vitamin-B5.php

HealthAliciousNess. (n.d.). Top 10 Foods Highest in Vitamin B6. Retrieved from http://www.healthaliciousness.com/articles/foods-high-in-vitamin-B6.php

HealthAliciousNess. (n.d.). Top 10 Foods Highest in Vitamin B9 (Folate). Retrieved from http://www.healthaliciousness.com/articles/foods-high-in-folate-vitamin-B9.php

HealthAliciousNess. (n.d.). Top 10 Foods Highest in Vitamin B12 (Cobalamin). Retrieved from http://www.healthaliciousness.com/articles/foods-high-in-vitamin-B12.php

HealthAliciousNess. (n.d.). Top 10 Foods Highest in Vitamin C. Retrieved from http://www.healthaliciousness.com/articles/vitamin-C.php

HealthAliciousNess. (n.d.). Top 10 Foods Highest in Vitamin D. Retrieved from http://www.healthaliciousness.com/articles/high-vitamin-D-foods.php

HealthAliciousNess. (n.d.). Top 10 Foods Highest in Vitamin E. Retrieved from http://www.healthaliciousness.com/articles/vitamin-E.php

HealthAliciousNess. (n.d.). Top 10 Foods Highest in Vitamin K. Retrieved from http://www.healthaliciousness.com/articles/food-sources-of-vitamin-k.php

HealthAliciousNess. (n.d.). Top 10 Foods Highest in Lycopene. Retrieved from http://www.healthaliciousness.com/articles/high-lycopene-foods.php

Andrew DiMIcelli

Do any of you eat such a complete diet based on something like this that you don't take any vitamins? 

Right now I take no supplements and eat lots of fruits and veggies (including kale, almond butter which are high on a few of those). Liver and Marmite might be worth trying, isn't that that nasty spread?

Joshua Slocum

I occasionally experiment with supplementing various vitamins. I never really notice a difference, probably because such a large part of my diet is vegetables.

Andrew DiMIcelli

I occasionally experiment with supplementing various vitamins. I never really notice a difference, probably because such a large part of my diet is vegetables.

Same with me,  I eat a lot of veggies and have never noticed anything with any vitamins or any supps really aside from when I used to take creatine

FREDERIC DUPONT

(...) supplementing various vitamins. I never really notice a difference (...)

(...) I (...) have never noticed anything with any vitamins (...)

Better that way; if you were to notice a change, that would likely mean that you had allowed your body to get into severe deficiency. :)

Tristan Curtis

Do any of you eat such a complete diet based on something like this that you don't take any vitamins? 

I'm pretty close at the moment. Daily I have a Brazil nut for selenium and a horsetail stem capsule for an extra 250mg calcium. My B12 intake is low and I need to get around to looking at supplementation. Besides that, every other micro RDA is met from strategic meals.

Joshua Naterman

I don't take any vitamins anymore, and I feel better than I can remember ever feeling, but I am getting a LOT of veggies, and I mix the colors up quite well.

• Upvote 1

FREDERIC DUPONT

There is no plant source Vitamin A afaik.

Carrots ---> Carotene = pro-vitamine A

Close enough :)

George Vere

Carrots ---> Carotene = pro-vitamin A

Close enough :)

Yes, the plants don't make any Vitamin A, but carotenoids (like beta carotene) are converted to retinol (i.e. Vit A) during absorption in the intestines and other tissues.

Josh Schmitter

Yes, the plants don't make any Vitamin A, but carotenoids (like beta carotene) are converted to retinol (i.e. Vit A) during absorption in the intestines and other tissues.

Don't have any references off hand, but I've read that the conversion rate is pretty poor.

There is no plant source Vitamin A afaik.

Liver is a plant source, isn't it :)?

Deins Drengers

If you guys would like I can post a mineral and protein thread in the near future?

Please do so :)

Deins Drengers

I don't take any vitamins anymore, and I feel better than I can remember ever feeling, but I am getting a LOT of veggies, and I mix the colors up quite well.

How much is a LOT ? I remember someone saying that A lot of veggies will make you bloat and gas and the fiber is hard to digest ( Have no personal exp on this)

Joshua Naterman

How much is a LOT ? I remember someone saying that A lot of veggies will make you bloat and gas and the fiber is hard to digest ( Have no personal exp on this)

For example, yesterday I ate two pounds of peas (that's 10 servings according to the bag), 1.5 lbs of turnip greens (which I believe is 8 servings), and 1.5 lbs of brussel sprouts (again 8 servings). I eat similar amounts of veggies most days. Some days I have 6-7 tomatoes, since they are in season and we grow lots of them.

You have to give your body a chance to adjust its internal environment (that's code for letting your intestinal bacterial populations readjust themselves) to what you are eating. It's smart to start off small, with maybe 1 lb of cooked veggies per day, and then scale your way up maybe half a pound per week or every other week.

You may find certain things that make you toot more than others, but I'm fine. There may have been some issues in the beginning

• 3 weeks later...
Andrew DiMIcelli

Joshua, you started a thread in 2010 called The Importance of Supplementation for Athletes where you and Ido were talking about 

"1.Some things are basic and should be used by most if not all people:

Chelated Mag (up to 2000mg a day for male athlete adult), Chelated Zinc (30mg), Quality Fish Oil(1 gr per each percent body fat you have), PWO Whey/Casein + glutamine + Glycine, Vit-C (1-3 gr a day), quality multi vit, etc.."

That's a quote from Ido but it seems like you were taking similar supplementation.  What made you stop taking supplements, or did you just stop taking vitamins in specific?  

I have a physical in a week and haven't done any blood work in years.  I"m off to college in 3 weeks and won't be able to cook much and don't know how many veges i'll be getting so I'm thinking about getting some or all of those from the quote (right now i take nothing, aside from occasional whey). 

What kind of tests should I ask from the doctor?  I've never really done any blood work ( or I can't remember so ), I guess I should do the tests for cholesterol and the other basic stuff.  Is it worth testing for any vitamin deficiencies?

Biren Patel

For example, yesterday I ate two pounds of peas (that's 10 servings according to the bag), 1.5 lbs of turnip greens (which I believe is 8 servings), and 1.5 lbs of brussel sprouts (again 8 servings). I eat similar amounts of veggies most days. Some days I have 6-7 tomatoes, since they are in season and we grow lots of them.

Aren't you overdoing it...? I'm all for veggies but 26 servings a day is overkill. What are you doing that requires you to eat so many vegetables?

Important Information

Please review our Privacy Policy at Privacy Policy before using the forums.