Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Recovery Rules.

Guest SuperBru

Guest SuperBru

Since starting F7 for the first time last week Monday my body was quite shocked. As a side effect I am experiencing DOMS at the moment. What are the rules of recovery as it relates to sleep and nutrition? Any other methods to speed up the process?   

Massage, spa/sauna, cryo or ice therapy, e-stim, accupuncture/accupressure ( the latter which is similar to massage ), trigger point therapy, more sleep more food.

• Upvote 1

Guest SuperBru

Okay so does it matter what foods you consume? Do they have to be healthy or can they be anything?

Chris Aldersley

I used to eat massive amounts of Milo, often as a pre and/or post workout "meal", sometimes with a ham+chicken+cheese sandwhich. I felt a million bucks after that. If you're not worried about the sugar/high carbs, I'd recommend that.

I've always attributed Milo to my hypertrophy and strength gains through late teens, and I'm not sure if I'm joking or not.

Although I've also always attributed Milo (along with chocolate/tim tams) to my inabilty to cut down into a more athletic build. I've weaned off chocolate, and am trying to limit/cease Milo intake. 

Guest SuperBru

As a side note some people believe that chocolate milk is one of the best post workout drinks. 

Joshua Naterman

Okay so does it matter what foods you consume? Do they have to be healthy or can they be anything?

Please tell me that was a rhetorical question.

Seriously though, the reason that we want you to eat tons of vegetables is that they have reasonable doses of literally thousands of chemicals that our bodies are designed to ingest. You can't get them all from vitamins, which is reinforced by research that examines isolated vitamins vs whole food sources with the same dosage. I'll save you the suspense: the whole foods are a lot more effective.

That includes fish oil vs freshly cooked cold water fish (salmon, etc). Research is showing that real fish, particularly with the skin, is much more cardioprotective than isolated EPA and DHA.

Bottom line is that healthier foods will also be better for getting buff.

As for PWO drinks, chocolate milk has a virtually identical nutrient profile as compared to what research shows to be the most effective combination of protein and carbs: abour 4:1 carbs to protein.

Harvard University research concluded that chocolate milk was as good, or slightly better than, the more expensive protein supplements, including the ones that came with the carbs included.

All you REALLY need to know from that is that your body appreciates carbs after your workout, especially if you have protein at the same time.

• Upvote 2