Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

High victorian and some other impossible moves

Yaad Mohammad

That could well be true actually. I remember reading that they're as fast as track sprinters for the first 30m. They also have insane vertical jumps.

People also claim that NFL players have a better acceleration than track sprinters. I don't think so though. If everyone lined up at their best, I would say Asafa Powell would have best 40 yard dash time out of everybody. Though in 2009 when Usain Bolt ran a 9.58, he was actually ahead of Powell even at 20m, but I don't think Powell was at his best in that case.

They actually figured out Chris Johnson's 40yd dash time was better than Bolt's, reason being Usain takes more time to get up to top speed, and when he does... :huh:

They actually figured out Chris Johnson's 40yd dash time was better than Bolt's, reason being Usain takes more time to get up to top speed, and when he does... :huh:

That's bullshit, there's no way Chris Johnson can beat Usain Bolt even in the 40 yard dash. Bolt never ran a 40 yard dash and despite his tall stature, he is still a pretty quick starter among sprinters. Plus, the 40 yard dash isn't about top speed, it's about acceleration. 

If you check out Bolt's official splits from 2009, and do some regression analysis on some software, you can find that Bolt's 40 yard dash time in his 9.58 WR run was 4.20 (not including his reaction time of 0.14).

I doubt Chris Johnson has a better 40. Hype. Though if the top track sprinters lined up knowing they only had to run 40 yards, I'm, pretty sure they would run a better time than their 40 split in a 100m race. Trying to run a 100m as if it's a 40 yard dash would result in a sub-par performance, especially for the elite level.

Not to mention, NFL 40 yard dashes are semi-electronic (hand timed from first movement, and laser at the end). Most of them are fully hand timed though (I think). There's a video of Walter Dix running 3.75s handtimed lol: 

• Upvote 1

Joshua Naterman

What kind of bodyweight exercises can build you those legs, if there are any for that matter? Or is it that she just has good genetics?

To a reasonable extent, Shawn is an example of genetic predisposition towards large muscles. My ex-girlfriend had a whole lot of leg muscle naturally, never did strength training a day in her life but could laugh at you while doing pistols for plenty of reps. I was always sad that I could never get her to actually exercise.

The Foundation work has excellent leg work, but you don't do a lot of volume so you won't grow all that much. 5 sets of one exercise isn't the same as having a 20 set leg day, and since gymnastics is not focused on having more leg muscle it just doesn't make much sense. 

I think that your best bodyweight leg workouts are going to come almost exclusively from the GB Foundation series, but not quite as prescribed. Here is why: You are supposed to be doing 1 set of each of 3 previously mastered exercises for warm up. For example, if your workout is SLS SE1, your warm up should be 1 set of PE 1 or 2, 1 set of PE 2 or 3, and one set of PE 3 or 4. That's not enough volume if you want to see larger legs.

The modification I would make, if you want your legs to grow, is to break SLS off into its own day (which it kind of is already, unless you do F7 all at once) and do 4 sets of PE1, 4 sets of PE2, 4 sets of PE3, 4 sets of PE4, and 3-5 sets of SE1, as an example workout. As you move into F2 you will REALLY start to see some difficult exercises, and that will make things more fun. To make this even more effective, you'll need to start identifying glute and hamstring work so that you can keep your quads and hamstrings balanced. These are mostly in F2, but SLS Se1/iM is a good introduction to the hamstring work.

The mastery reps in the Foundation program are fine for this, but you can always choose a more traditional 8-12 rep scheme if you prefer...

Making this modification is only ok if you can correctly perform the exercises. This is a lot of volume, which is why I am suggesting it take a day all to itself, but this volume is what will make you grow.

I would start off with the established style, which is to only do the exercises you have already mastered. I would keep the iM work in. This will build on itself as you get stronger until it is identical to what is listed above.

I stand corrected, if Bolt's 40 was a 4.2, then he is .04 seconds faster than Johnson. Sorry for the quick assumption.