Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Any scaffolders here?

Kate Abernethy

Kate Abernethy

If so, would you mind letting me know what (UK) components I need in order to construct a set of parallel bars which must be rock solid yet also easily dismantled in case I relocate.

I see quite a few poles on ebay.

Thank you.

http://keesystems.com/

Andrew Stemler at CF London recommended them to me. They will even cut the pipe and powder coat everything if you wish.

I've got a nice plan for both PB and a new ceiling mount pull up bar using this.

Should be no problem to make an easy to store system with what's on offer here.

• Upvote 3

When everything arrives I will take pics and give detailed measurements.

• Upvote 7

Neil Gillies

When everything arrives I will take pics and give detailed measurements.

Hi All,

Timely topic! I recently built a set of parallel bars using a product from a company similar to that linked by Cole. I have tried to attach a pic, so hopefully it shows up. The products look identical, so worth comparing prices - I haven't done a comparison myself.

www.alvinkeyclamps.co.uk

All pipe is 48.3mm OD. The bars are secured by sockets which I cast flush into my concrete garage floor. These extend to a depth of about 150mm, allowing a very good moment connection. (Drilling the holes to accommodate the sockets was a workout in its own right!). Everything is held together by grub screws and is very solid, but can be dismantled very quickly (with the exception of the sockets which remain in place).

I have positioned the bars such that one of the uprights is in the centre of the garage to provide a solid anchor from which body levers can be performed. I also included an adjustable cross bar to allow certain exercises from F1 to be undertaken.

The bars are long enough to allow all of the dip progressions specified in BtGB and hopefully swinging dips in future. I was a bit limited by the dimensions of my single garage, but the bars could be made longer or positioned in different ways depending on people's space limitations.

I have also purchased a length of 33.7mm OD pipe which, when time allows, I will secure to the garage roof beams using carriage bolts and an A16 type base fitting.

Hope this is of interest and I can supply more photos, information and dimensions later if anyone wants me to. It will be interesting to compare with your plans, Cole.

Cheers,

Neil

• Upvote 1

Nice Neil!

I'm a bit of a gear head, so I always enjoy seeing other people's creations.

Really impressed with the flush mount system. And clever use of a sliding cross piece.

I'm working on a free standing version, so between the two there should be plenty of ideas to help people out.

I'm hoping I can get my order in later this week, after I clear out my stall bar project.

Kate Abernethy

FYI: quote from keesystems UK

Note. This is for 3.2m long horizontal bars and 2m long uprights (for outdoors!).

I will look for a cheaper option.

Neil Gillies

Thanks LateStarter,

Here is a summary of the pipe sizes I ordered and associated costs:

post-4865-0-83471500-1372925275_thumb.jp

Cheers,

Neil

• Upvote 1

Richard Hamilton

If you're searching around for quotes then try www.interclamp.com as well. They're based in South Wales.

May also be worth asking if they can give you an additional discount as you're a private/one off buyer. Most of their custom comes from the commercial sector so the prices are usually get hiked for that. I found this when using builders merchants a lot in the past. Can't do any harm to ask :)

• Upvote 2

Steel is going to be much less expensive than aluminium. For a fixed station, there is no need to spend the extra. Paint or powder coat will protect from the elements.

Not sure if but outside you mean on concert or yard. You could save even more by just pouring concrete around the pipe, like a fence post. You could forgo the flanges that way.

That said, a project like this, using quality materials is going to cost, no way around it. 

Kate Abernethy

Yes, very true, it's not going to be cheap. Will need to get creative with scaffolding tubes!

Just for information - I asked about the concrete footings and they said that a solid base of at least 300mm was preferable to four plinths. 

Neil Gillies

Something I should have said earlier: if you are digging/drilling holes to install dip bars, please check that there are no electricity cables or gas lines running underneath where you are working.

Pretty obvious, but worth mentioning I think!

Something I should have said earlier: if you are digging/drilling holes to install dip bars, please check that there are no electricity cables or gas lines running underneath where you are working.

In Australia (Dial Before You Dig):

http://1100.com.au

FREDERIC DUPONT

Pretty obvious, but worth mentioning I think!

LOL... now that you say that... :D

• 3 weeks later...
Erik Rissanen

The keesystems seems great. Does anyone know of anything like it available in Sweden? I found only this site below, and it's much more limited in what components they have available:

http://www.jula.se/bygg-och-farg/garage-grindbeslag-och-anlaggning/rorkoppling/

I have also looked at scaffolding used in construction of buildings, but I don't think that is as good as something like keesystems for building PBs. They are too big and the way the attachments work in them, it would be difficult to get clean ends and attachments without extra pieces poking out.

Also, what are recommended dimensions in terms of height and length of PBs for the Foundation series?

• 2 weeks later...

The keesystems seems great. Does anyone know of anything like it available in Sweden?

KeeSytems just put me in touch with their Scandinavian distributor. He called me to personally go over my prototype design and suggest a few changes. Very good service from these guys!

http://erik-larsen.dk/referencer/kee-klamp/

• Upvote 1

Sean Whitley

Sorry to change the subject slightly. Does anyone know of a good supplier of pipe and flanges in the UK? I've wanted to build a set of handstand canes for a while, and finding barrel nipples and fitting flanges seems impossible. I've tried 6 different local plumbers/builders merchants, and 3 online suppliers so far with no luck. 

Hoping to build something like this if the elusive parts can be found - http://seriffim.net/2011/11/tutorial-hand-balancing-canes/

Hey i've been looking at building my own power rack with the ability to hang my rings from using some 48.3mm galvanised steel tube. The cheapest places i've found in the UK for this stuff seems to be this place http://www.themetalstore.co.uk/ hope this helps anyone in the UK.

• Upvote 3