Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

how far apart should rings be?

jkinney5

Mine are about 63 cm apart. Recently I think I read that the standard Olympic distance is 50 cm. Does the extra 13 cm matter for any reason?

John Sapinoso

not really, but if you think about it, the rings length is most likely gunna be different than your setup, so even if it was regulation 50cm apart it wouldn't be exactly the same.

but rings are rings.

George Launchbury

I did a little googling around, and probably found the same info you did:

> Point of suspension 5.75 meters above floor

> Height of rings 2.75 meters (including about 20 cm landing mats)

> Distance between the rings 50 cm

> Inside Diameter of the rings 18 cm

> Total Diameter of the rings 23.6 cm (Thickness 28 mm)

To sum up (in advance): the extra 13cm probably will matter, depending on the length of your straps, and your personal dimensions.

I imagine you have chosen the 63cm (since it's pretty specific) as it seems to be most comfortable for your build and what you are doing? I have also read somewhere that as a rough guide the rings can be set up (for training purposes at least) to a distance of 1 cubit (distance from fingertips to elbow)? Same with PBars/paralettes.

As ts00nami said, your strap length is likely to be different from the standard height, which is pretty high for the 'home user' to manage easily, and from a logical standpoint - the shorter your straps are, the greater the effect you will see from the width being wrong. I'll try and explain...

If you think of a weight on a rope: when it's hanging straight down, there are no sideways forces. If you push the weight to the side (changing the angle of the supporting rope) the weight pushes back. The angle of the rope converts the downward force into a sideways force. The shorter the rope, the greater the change in angle from your sideways push, and the greater the push back will be.

There can, will, and in fact should be sideways forces in play when performing a lot of the exercises on your rings ...but having a vaguely correct width (for you) will help to ensure that they are not going to be detrimental to your progress.

Hopefully that makes sense, and was in some way helpful - at least if only to someone else reading the thread! :)

Regards,

George.

• Upvote 1

• 3 months later...

So, if we're hooking the rings up and the ceiling is ~10 feet high, do we still go with a cubit length?

And I'm getting our handy man to install them for me, since I'm technically...slow (from a handyman perspective).

Is there ANYTHING special or important I need to tell him when he shows up to install? And what should I have here waiting for him to make his job easy? In other words, what should I get from Home Depot and have here for him before he gets here?

Thanks!

• 1 year later...