Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Working out on outdoor rings

gogy

Well I started going 2-3 times a week on outside rings and I would like you for some help, if you can make me some training plan or usefull exercsies to do. I am doing just basic holds on rings, dips, skin a cat, and holding my body legs up and head down when I reach top position when I am going into skin a cut. I also do pull ups on rings, and I would like to perform muscle up on rings, today I did several of them for first time on bar. Otherwise I also do pull ups and chin ups on bar, and I am training to have athletic body for sports, not to be like body builder. My main sport is taekwondo. all best .D

• 2 weeks later...

If your main interest is just progress on the rings, then you should start with support holds, German Hangs and Inverted Hangs. Your other exercises could be pull ups, muscle ups and rows. Check the prerequisites thread and see how you do in those exercises, as they are the basis of gymnastic strength.

If your desire is the development of strength, then you should look into the Foundation series. I'm not sure if they will get you all of the exercises on the rings, but they will make you strong and athletic.

Connor Davies

This post will neatly sum up your starting point: https://www.gymnasticbodies.com/forum/topic/3750-prerequisites/page-8#entry93540

I cannot stress how important these initial prerequisites are, as they lay the foundation for future strength development.  If you don't take the time to work them, you will stop making progress eventually and will have to re-visit them anyway.

Now onto the fun stuff.  I'd recommend starting with learning to hold at least 60 seconds of ring plank and a false grip at the bottom position of a row.  Again, very important, but just the basics.  Should be very easy.

Next, work with ring pushups and rows.  The rings can take some getting used to, so work with these for a while.  Pushups should be performed with your elbows tucked in, and the rings parallel.  Rows should preferably be performed with your elbows flaring out to the sides at a 90 degree angle.  Use the false grip for the rows.  Get to at least 15 of each of these.  I would prefer more for the pushups.

At this point you should be trying to turn the rings out in the ring plank so your palms are facing forward. I would recommend taking the time to build up to doing your pushups in the rings turned out position, but this takes some time and you'll probably want to get to the more impressive stuff.

Okay, so now it's time to work on the support hold.  These can be really rough on your elbows, so I would take some time to build up volume on these.  1-2 seconds each week will probably be plenty.  Honestly.  You should also work the dead hang for this one.  It's just hanging in the bottom position of the pullup, but in a false grip.  Work up to 60 seconds on each of these.

Now it's time to work on pullups and dips.  In the pullup, focus on trying to get as high as possible.  Raise your legs slightly to the front in a hollow body position, and remember not to kip.  Use a false grip, thumbs to the inside, and try to touch the rings to your chest.  The lower the better.  With the dips, again go as low as possible, till you can touch your shoulders to the rings or even your thumb if possible.  Dips this deep can be rough on your shoulders, so build volume slowly and stop if it hurts. 

When you've got 15 of each of these, you'll be more than ready for controlled muscle ups.

Apart from all this I would recommend working the german hang separately.  I'm not sure where to place these, because on the one hand they prepare the shoulders well for dips, but they shouldn't be performed until you have a decent 30+ second rings turned out support hold.  These are rough, so add 5 seconds every month or two.  Practice them with your feet on something at first if you feel undue strain when you try them.  Don't bother with skin the cats for reps until you have a 30-60 second german hang.  Make sure your thumbs are pointing out, palms facing down when you german hang.

Lastly, an L sit will prepare your core well for the strain of skin the cats.

As a final point, turn your rings out at the top of every dip.  Massive strength gains will come.

Connor Davies

I should just note that my previous post is just one way to accomplish your specific goals.  I wrote it in a rush on my way out the door, and is merely what came to mind first after spending time on this forum.  If you are looking for a complete strength program, this is not it.  It is merely one of many possible ways for you to achieve a solid muscle up, and an incomplete one at that.

If you want something better, go buy Foundation 1.

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you for your advice, I will structure my training routine on bar/rings differently now. What I used to do this month doing 1. support hold, with my knees up (20 secs) 2. inverted hang (20 secs) 3. push up on rings (10 times), with my legs on ladder 4. dips (10 times) 5. pul up on rings (7 times) 6. skin a cat (4 times in row) everything in 5 series (reps). 

Since I injured my knee, I spend now 3-5 times a week on strength training for 90 minutes each workout.

all the best guys

• 3 weeks later...
Bill Köhntopp

ring pull ups, ring dips, 1-2 lever holds, support hold, l-sit...you cant train these exercises without your body respond to that ;)

you will master a muscle up, when youre strong in dips and pull ups + false grip - with good technique of course(see the post from bipocni)