This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

HS/PE2 iM war!

Started by Adriano Augusto, June 27, 2013 · 25 Replies · 1,944 Views

Adriano Augusto

http://youtu.be/EgAa4b4yzsA

 

This is my actual progress with this PE. A work in progress, even few days ago I started to realise (even I read it a lot before) to active my upper back and traps and not so much my arms.

 

There's a question too... I mastered PE1 but I didn't do it since then (not so much) and I tried the other day and it's impossible to me right now doing PE1 at shoulder width: I know that in a week with intense training I got it again, but it's not my concern... My question is, what should I do with previous iM mastered? a few sets of warm up? 2/3 times in a week to maintenance and increase weight?

 

Thanks community/family!

 

Greetings from Spain! 

Vincearoo

Definitely use it as warm up sets. Keep all of these exercises that n your warm up and gradually increase the weight.

Adriano Augusto

Yes Vincearoo, but:

 

1) If I use PE1 like a warm up set I'm not going to do the exercise at shoulder width (because I've to stretch a lot to achieve that).

2) If I use PE1 like a warm up, how it will improve? Should I do specific sessions of PE1 to keep improving it?

 

And by the way, the important point of every mobility drill is to get to shoulder width in any moment of the day withouth warming up?

 

I'm confused about that. 

Vincearoo

I've simply just added a few sets of im1 in addition to my warm up. Because you're right, I wouldn't be able to go shoulder width without warming up.

Now that you mention it, I'm curious too, to whether or not mastery involves being able to do it without warm up.

Nash

Adriano,

What weight are you using in the video?

Adriano Augusto

1.5kg - 3lb aprox.

 

When I go to the gym I use 1.25kg disc.

 

It would be good if the questions about PE1 and doing it without warm up can be answered. 

 

I stay with 2 times a week of PE1.

 

Thanks in advance.

Keilani Gutierrez
Adriano Flo said:

1.5kg - 3lb aprox.

 

When I go to the gym I use 1.25kg disc.

 

It would be good if the questions about PE1 and doing it without warm up can be answered. 

 

I stay with 2 times a week of PE1.

 

Thanks in advance.

Adriano

 

seria buenisimo mantenerlo en el warm up tuyo. no lo tienes que poner en un sitio en especifico, quizas puedes hacer algo asi:

 

1.(tu Warm up antes de trabajar H1)

2. 4 x 10 estiramientos de muñeca

3. todos los ejercicios de antebrazo y muñeca (WP, FKP, WR, FTP)

4. 2 sets de Tripod x 60 sec + 10sec iM

5. tu workout de H1.

me imagino, que en lo que estas volviendo a obtener mastery, hazlo con el mismo plato de 1.25kg o el mismo peso que estes usando en HS/PE2>iM. 

 

al finalizar mastery en los dos elementos, subeles el peso y haz algo similar a esto cuando estes haciendo tu warm up antes de comenzar tu workout de H1

 

1.(tu Warm up antes de trabajar H1)

2. 4 x 10 estiramientos de muñeca

3. todos los ejercicios de antebrazo y muñeca (WP, FKP, WR, FTP)

4. 2 sets de Tripod x 60 sec + 10sec iM(si era 3 lbs, ponlo en 5lb ahora)

5. 2 sets de Headstand x 60 sec + 10sec iM(si era 3 lbs ponlo en 5lb ahora)

6. el workout tuyo del dia con H1 (PE3 + 5 rep de iM. este iM lo trabajas con 3lbs)

 

Translation:

Adriano

 

it would be great if you left it in your warm up. you don't have to place it anywhere specific, maybe you can do it like this;

 

1. your warm up before H1 work

2.4 x 10 wrist stretches

3. all wrist PE's (WP, FKP, WR, FTP)

4. 2 sets of Tripod at 60 sec + 10sec iM.

5. your H1 workout

I figure use the same weight you are beginning to use on your HS/PE2>iM(which i read was 3lbs) to re-obtain mastery.

 

after you re-obtain and achieve mastery in HS/PE1 & 2>iM, you can make your workout look something like this

1. your warm up before H1 work

2. 4x10 wrist stretches

3. all wrist PE's(WP, FKP, WR, FTP)

4. 2 sets of Tripod at 60 sec + 10 sec iM( bump this weight from 3lb to 5lb)

5.2 sets of Headstand at 60 sec + 10 sec iM(bump this weight from 3lb to 5lb)

6. your days H1 work(PE3 and 5 rep of iM(work this iM with 3lbs)

 

 

B)

Markus Klein

Thank god I realized after 6 weeks into this, that the palms of the hands should point forwards and not backwards  :facepalm:  :facepalm:  :facepalm: 
I almost lost my mind about this exercise and thought I would never be able to do it.

Nash

Markus,

Haha! I went through the same thing for a whole week.

Adriano Augusto

Keilani, your post it's a great help to organizating things, above all when I started to mastering more PE and iM's. Thanks!

 

But I'm so confused with one thing that first I'm going to write in spanish and then in english:

 

Se supone que el mastery de los primeros iM se consigue cuando llegas a hacer la dislocación con anchura de hombros; hasta ahí bien. Para conseguir ese mastery, yo al menos tengo que estirar mucho los hombros haciendo ese iM1, es decir, que tengo que dedicar cierto tiempo a conseguirlo de nuevo, aunque el día anterior lo hubiera conseguido; no puedo estar frío. 

 

 

 

Cuando estoy en iM2 y caliento con iM1, al ser sólo un "calentamiento" no consigo el mastery, ya que como he dicho tendría que estirar mucho más; así pues, el peso "extra" que le ponga no le veo sentido si no está en modo mastery: ancho de hombros. 

 

Mi preguntas son varias:

 

1) Si estoy en iM2 y hago calentamiento con iM1 aumentándole peso, ¿cómo voy a hacer mastery del iM1 si necesito más tiempo para hacerlo y en teoría la sesión está centrada en iM2?

 

2) Debido a que no puedo hacer el mastery del iM1 sin haber estirado y calentado, ¿no sería buena idea dedicarle sesiones a ese ejercicio solamente?

 

3) ¿Qué sentido tiene incrementar el peso en un ejercicio anterior si no puedes ir al ancho de hombros sin estirar específicamente?

 

4) ¿Hay que llegar a hacer mastery de cualquier iM sin haber calentado?

 

English:

 

 

 

It's supposed that mastery of first iM is achieved when you do dislocation achieving shoulder width; ok. To achieve mastery, at least for now I've to stretch a lot shoulders doing iM1. I mean, I've to dedicate time to get it again, although last day I would have achieved; I've to be so warm to do it.

 

When I'm on iM2 and I warm up with iM1, being just a warm up, it's impossible to me to achieve mastery in that frame of time, because I've to stretch so much. So, the extra weight in the warm up it's nonsense if I can't go shoulder width.

 

Several questions:

 

1) If I'm on iM2 and I do warm up with iM1 increasing weight, how I'm going to do mastery of iM1 if I need more time to do it?

 

2) Due to I can't do mastery of iM1 without warming up and stretch like hell, it would be a good idea put in few concrete sessions of iM1 spread the week so I can get used to?

 

3) What is the sense of increasing weight on a iM If you can go shoulder width without warming up a lot before?

 

4) The most important: the nature of mastery is be able to do it without warming up?

 

Greetings and thanks Keilani!

Alessandro Mainente

When yu're doing IM for shoulders be sure to use at least 2-2.5 kg as an added weight. so if you cannot manage this weight increase the distance between hands.

Keilani Gutierrez
Adriano Flo said:

Keilani, your post it's a great help to organizating things, above all when I started to mastering more PE and iM's. Thanks!

 

But I'm so confused with one thing that first I'm going to write in spanish and then in english:

 

 

 

 

English:

 

 

 

 

Greetings and thanks Keilani!

dependiendo en cuantos dias de H1 estas ejercitando, hacerlos en el warm up sea de vasto. si deseas, incluyelo en el warm up como lo puse y despues de tu workout haz 2 sets mas para aprovechar el viaje. :) 

 

depending on how many H1 days you are having, doing them in the warm up will be okay. if you want, just include it in your warm up for those 2 sets and after your workout do another 2 sets for good measure.

Adriano Augusto

Well, we will see what's the opinion of this new try after looooong time with this iM. 2times a week are given to me a slow process, but we know about slow process, so...

2kg added, shoulder width.

Maybe a little higher? Seems like my shoulders don't want to cooperate with me.

Thanks in advance.

Edit: simple question. Its different if I put the discs in the center of the stick compared to in the sides. What I have to do?

Keilani Gutierrez

the literally only thing i see here, aside from the asthetic of bending your wrists to gain the ROM, is that you're so close! 

 

good job, man! 

 

estas cerca ;) 

 

andamos ahi practicamente paralelo en esto, casi casi lo tienes 

Adriano Augusto

Gracias hermano. Thanks brah.

 

Yes, I'm close. I'm going to up to x3 sessions a week, monday, wednesday and friday, to see how it goes. It's not something that got me exhausted, maybe more sessions is the trick. I feel that I've to used to my arms just be comfortable on this position.

 

Just to keep me motivated, because sometimes I want to throw the broomstick with a wall.

 

2hppnwi.png

 

 

C'mooooooooon! 

 

 

 

Thanks all!

Adriano Augusto

Ok, shock therapy again. Why? Because if you are stuck in one element you've to put the time and practice to conquer it, is not enough with the normal sessions. 

 

So, If in this element I can't access to those few inches with 2kg (because it's a strenght issue) I'll force myself by get used to to be there. How? Easy. Pile of books.

 

svkk9h.png

 

I can modify the position of my body and not leaning forward at all by tilting the head... I can remain hollow, and then, I can try to lift the broomstick from the books. So, three drills with this:

 

1) Stay hollow and be aware about my head/body position in the space. Be aware too about shoulders looking for that internal rotation keeping the armpit looking to the floor. 

 

2) Using the position as a stretch itself, applying force to the books and then release, just as with Kit's work. 

 

3) Try to lift the broomstick with 2kg and gain strenght in the ROM I can't access. 

 

Of course, all of this is done after my H1 session where I do the iM just as the course says.

 

Results? Well... I can feel a lot of numbness on my foreams, little cramps along my arms and specially my triceps. One thing I did notice if that I have tremendous tension in the foreams... maybe is time to stretch and foammrolling them a lot.

 

Definitely a great tool in the first day of try. I have all set up because I'm going to do GTG with it. 

 

iM2, you're more than close!

Bro'

Passive flexibility is definitely there. Having seen your last video, I can definitely say we're exactly at the same point for this one.  :D These last few degrees are a pain in the ass, but we'll get it!

Adriano Augusto

Nah, nah, nah and nah. All the way back with this.

 

I'm starting to realise about the complexity of this iM in regards to shoulder and upper back development. The tilting forward of the head is a sign that you're doing wrong due to compensation that you've to do to lift the stick. So I've cheked that everytime I lift the stick, no matter how narro/wider I go, my head tilting. If my head is tilting all the time, I have done something wrong all this time. I've been really focused on no tilting at all, and I've found that I've to go too wide and with a fuc**** 500gr to lift the stick with my HEAD in a proper placement, without tilting. And my gosh, I can feel the activation in all my traps/shoulders.

 

I made a video where I show different shoulder/elbow positioning in which I believe is the correct form of the exercise. I know by Coach that no tilting is allowed in this iM, so...

 

 

Second attempt is the best. This is done with a wider grip, almost the ends of the stick. I don't know if 500gr is a joke weight or I should start with 1kg.

 

My god, I don't know what I've been doind all this time... NO TILTING OF THE HEAD! The iM have to be done same as the above picture where I do it with a pile of book. Neck/back straight.

 

Back to square one.

jaz

You're right about no tilting Adriano, I'm gonna make a video as well to check that interesting point.

Thank's for the feedback on this iM

Coach Sommer

Adriano,

In the beginning of the video, prior to starting, you were rolling the shoulders forward and backward. Unfortunately you began your iM with the shoulders rolled forward. I believe that if you will perform this iM with the shoulders rolled back you will find that the improved retraction will make this iM much easier.

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

NoHiddenCosts

^Like like like like like!

 

I actually just discovered this yesterday. I've been feeling an uncomfortable amount of strain in my biceps/elbows on this iM, so for a while I've just been trying to stretch for this position a few times every day. Yesterday, I decided that perhaps if I just squeeze my arms together REALLY hard (retracting my scapula), I won't have to strain my elbows as much.

 

Now with rolling my shoulder blades back, I have narrowed my grip considerably, and feel incomparably more activation in my trap/scapula area. 

Adriano Augusto

Really thank you Coach.

 

I believe I've been through a stage of overthink this iM, and when one overthink something tends to do it more difficult and complex than actually is. My mistake has been not doing retraction at all but protraction, and yesterday I tried to rolling my shoulder backwards and it's definitely easier.

 

Finally I see some light at the end of the tunnel. 

 

Thanks Coach.

bombadil
Markus Klein said:

Thank god I realized after 6 weeks into this, that the palms of the hands should point forwards and not backwards  :facepalm:  :facepalm:  :facepalm: 

I almost lost my mind about this exercise and thought I would never be able to do it.

Wait!?  What!?  I think I just had an epiphany with this one too!  :lol:

Vinay Ramineni

Sigh... This single iM is the most trying ever. I think I'm at about 60 degrees now, but I sometimes wonder whether that perfect 90 degrees will ever happen. I will continue having faith that constant diligent practice will eventually let me progress...