This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

HS PE2>IM approach

Started by Eric Baum, September 26, 2013 · 4 Replies · 402 Views

Eric Baum

Hello all,

 

I have a doubt about a way to approach the PE2 im in H1.

 

I actually have enough flexibility to get my arms at 90º degrees with hands at shoulder width without great problems. What I lack is the strength to get there without assistance.

 

In the last month I spent at this exercise, I could already get 60 to 70 degrees depending on the bar weigth (from 3kg to 6kg).

 

What I´d like to know is if it is a valid approach doing this in a Negative way: "I get help to get the bar to 90 degrees and then try to hold that position while it slowly falls.

 

I think this way I´ll be able to work the strength in the entire ROM instead of getting it one degree at a time.

 

Regards,

Baum

Coach Sommer

Could work.  However it would also be easier to simply decrease the weight you are using to a level that allows success and then to gradually increase the weight from theire.

 

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

Jon Douglas

I prefer coachs approach. Seems to me that using negatives to develop active flexibility simply adds an unnecessary step to the process.

You also can't (read; really should not) do this with dislocates or shoulder extension movements, so the scope of the approach is limited to flexion only.

If it works for you then keep it up :) but if you're just kicking the idea around to see how it would go i would recommend keeping it simpler. Its unlikely someone would actually hurt themselves with this unless the weight was ridiculous, it just seems a bit inefficient to me :)

Eric Baum

Ok. Thanks for the replys. I was just testing around ways of getting a more efficient progress on this.

 

What I found out after starting doing this movement in a negative way is that I could feel how I had to apply my strength to get to the final position when I was at the end of the movement.

 

Because at the top it just fells like some different muscles are being used, or the same muscles on a different way, I'm not sure.

 

And this actually helps me getting past the point that I'm stuck at.

Eric Baum

Another question on this im.

 

After every single train of this exercise I get some considerable muscle soreness on my traps and the back of the deltoids.

 

For most of the exercises the soreness just comes with the first 2 or 3 training sessions and then I'm okay with it, but this exercise, I'm going to the third month on it and I still get that soreness every single day.

 

Is it expected? Anyone else feels like this?