I'm not particularly far along on ring work. I've dabbled, just bought the foundation series and handstand one. This particular type of pain has (in the past) made my shoulder non-functional for months. This time I want to figure out what I can do about it.
I try to follow the instructions for ring work as laid out in Pg. 74 of BtGB. I can hold a straight/locked arm static position with my thumbs rotated outward, pulling my shoulders back. During the hold I have no pain.
When I come out of the position (or for a few seconds thereafter) I have a rather sharp pain in both of my shoulders. It feels "deep" and "in the middle" just above the deltoid. If I keep up training a static position the pain will build until it hurts whenever I move my arms.
Any suggestions for what is going on, or what I'm missing? I don't find the static hold excessively challenging while doing it, but I find it isn’t wise for me to attempt it long term. I'd like to work my way out of this issue if I can, or better focus on prevention in future.