Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

What Does a Pound of Muscle Look Like?

Guest SuperBru

Guest SuperBru

The steak in the video is roughly 1lb. Now according to numerous sources you can gain 2lb per month naturally. Just imagine what two T-bone steaks would look like on your chest. Now imagine what 20 T-bone steaks would look like on you. 2lb is a lot of muscle people.

• Upvote 2

Tristan Curtis

So true! It's a lot of muscle, and capable of a lot of increased function.

Andrew Long

2 pounds of muscle a month naturally sounds a bit high but I dont really know. Anyone have more knowledge on the topic ?

Joshua Naterman

No chance. That is an average amount according to numerous sources. 

You're only going to gain that kind of muscle if it is spread across your entire body, and it won't go on indefinitely. As you approach a higher FFMI (google "scooby ffmi" to learn more) you are going to be unable to put on much more muscle, at least not very quickly.

Newbies to full-body lifting can gain faster than that, I've seen and supervised that myself a number of times, but it does slow down as you get bigger. People who are already fairly big and muscular for their frame, perhaps with an FFMI of 24.5 or more, are just not going to gain as quickly. Experienced natural bodybuilders are thrilled to death if they put on 7-10 lbs in one year, and there comes a point where they are just not going to get any heavier.

The slowdown happens because your intestines don't gain the ability to absorb more protein per hour, so you have an inherently limited amino acid pool with which to maintain more lean tissue, leaving less to be used for growth.

The second half of why this happens is this insane obsession with low-carb dieting. Think about it: You're bigger, so less of the protein you eat is going to go towards growth as it is. Why on earth would you create a situation where your body's going to use a huge portion of the protein you eat to make carbohydrates since you aren't eating enough of them? In my book, that is the absolute dumbest situation I can think of.

• Upvote 3