Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

doing H1 with a Wrist not capable of full ROM

John Cunningham

John Cunningham

Hi, I have a long term injury on my right wrist which prevents me from bending too far back without considerable pain. I get round it by using either push up bars or using my fist for things like push ups etc.

Will this be an issue with the H1 course ?

David McManamon

While you work to rehabilitate your wrist you might consider doing your hand balancing on bridge blocks or any surface with a decline that makes the handstand comfortable for you.  If you find the work is antagonizing your injury then fully rehab your injury before proceeding.

bridge%20block%20%284x4x6%29.png

• Upvote 3

FREDERIC DUPONT

Good advice dmacmanam :)

I am also following that way until my wrists gain the necessary ROM, in 30 to 35 years....... :facepalm:

• Upvote 1

John Cunningham

While you work to rehabilitate your wrist you might consider doing your hand balancing on bridge blocks or any surface with a decline that makes the handstand comfortable for you.  If you find the work is antagonizing your injury then fully rehab your injury before proceeding.

bridge%20block%20(4x4x6).png

So could I use parallettes for the H1 course ?

Also how long is the course ? Is it the same duration as the F1 course ?

Thanks

FREDERIC DUPONT

How long is the course?

- In terms of duration to completion: probably F1 will take less time for most people.

- In terms of how long is a training session: I am still on the first weeks of the first progression of H1, so the duration of a session is shorter than my F1 training (I split the days with 4 & 3 exercises); however, I have no reasons to expect that H1 will ever take longer than F1.

:)

John Cunningham

Great, thanks Fred. So would I be able to follow the handstand course using push up bars or is that a major obstacle.

FREDERIC DUPONT

Great, thanks Fred. So would I be able to follow the handstand course using push up bars or is that a major obstacle.

Maybe to some extent, maybe not entirely... or not at all (*) if I read the course instructions to the letter...

that's a question that someone more qualified will have to answer. :)

(*) or for a long time (**) remaining at the same place giving your wrists the time and space to adapt and revert to their "factory specs".

(**) Which is precisely where I am at now...

John Cunningham

Ok thanks, I think I will forego the H1 course unless my wrist gets better, but I don't think it will.

FREDERIC DUPONT

(1) treat your wrist with kindness and confidently trust it: it is surely doing its best to heal and be able to serve you for many more years.

(2) gently and diligently doing the H1 wrist exercises and stretches will help... the iM will help too, even if you avoid the handstand exercise to spare your wrists. :)

• 4 months later...
John Cunningham

So here's an update. I went ahead and got H1 and have completed just over 3 months of H1.

I started right from the very beginning, I was very wary dure to long term damage to my right wrist caused by gout which left me unable to put much weight on my wrist unless I kept them in a neutral position. I haven't been able to do push ups for a few years now without push up bars.

After 3 months doing all the mobility, stretching and strengthening they are in the best state they have been for years, I haven't used my various push up bars for a couple of months now and with all the other stuff I am now doing I am spending more time on my wrists than ever before. I am really pleased how its all turning out and the bonus is that I may even be able to do a handstand at the end of it.

Thanks Coach and the rest of ther GB team.

• Upvote 6