Hi All,
Sat thinking about how much more comfortable I am practicing Back-To-Wall HS (BTWHS), and how a lot of my focus when working Face-To-Wall HS (FTWHS) is on getting ready to 'save myself' when I start to overbalance ...I had an interesting thought - the main reason that I can see for arching in the BTWHS is that for you to be straight, parts of your body would need to be inside the wall, and therefore your feet need to reach backwards.
With that in mind I decided I'd try a couple of HS in a doorway, since then I could be 'inside' the line of the wall. I found this to very useful, to me anyway, for a number of reasons:
[*:2f3bf4t6]Feeling safer meant I could concentrate better on keeping a good shape while in HS
[*:2f3bf4t6]Measuring where my hands needed to be to put me right on the balance point (with consistent body line) was very easy, enabling me to simply press away from the wall with finger strength alone, and no breaking line by kicking or extending a leg
[*:2f3bf4t6]Since the set-up was so quick, easy and accurate I could spend more of my 'endurance window' working on my HS, and less energy in getting up and down
[*:2f3bf4t6]I was not worried at any point about how I was going to get down
[*:2f3bf4t6]I managed to add 4-5 seconds to my freestanding PR off the bat
I am not suggesting this as any kind of replacement for Coach's advice to work on FTWHS for improving all the attributes necessary for performing the handstand correctly! This idea seems to be working for me, and may be interesting for others ...so I'm sharing.
BE SAFE: If you do have a go at this, make sure your feet will have something to stop on (try it next to the doorway on the wall and look where your feet come to, or feel to the side with one of your heels) ...maybe the first few times put some sofa cushions on the other side of the doorway, just in case!
Cheers,
George.
P.s. If the top of the door seems a little high, one could try using paralettes? or a doorway chinning bar?
