Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Straight arm exercises

Trent Whalin

Trent Whalin

What are some straight arm exercises besides the ones on the rings that build up arm/bicep strength that Coach Sommer mentioned on T Nation?

Daniel Burnham

Are you asking for straight arm exercises that aren't performed on rings?

There are a lot of straight arm strength exercises that can be performed on rings, floor, and parallel bars.

I havent read the T-nation article in a while but there are supports, planches, manna, cross, maltese, japanese handstand, inverted cross etc...  anything done with straight arms really which is pretty much everything in the gymnastic code of points.

These exercises should be used only when you have built up the requisite strength for them, otherwise you are just asking for injury.  Even very strong people have to take time with these in order to built up the connective tissue needed to support them.  If you have not reached this point (not many non-gymnasts have) then you would be better served by focusing on the foundation exercises in the Foundation  series which will help build the strength you need to start training the advanced exercises.

Trent Whalin

Thanks! What about some on the rings now, I reread the article and he didn't talk so much about the straight arm exercises that weren't on the rings.

SAS not on rings?

HS, Planche, Cross HS, Maltese, Manna, L/Straddle L support?

Daniel Burnham

Just look at the men's gymnastic code of points. It's full of them. I'd advise you not to try and make your own plan to work up to them without considerable experience and foundational strength.