Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

The Yoga Block

George Launchbury

George Launchbury

Morning,

Wanted to share some uses I have found for a light, portable and inexpensive piece of equipment I got for a couple of quid. My Yoga Block. I originally got it for measuring progress in my HeSPU, but have since found a number of additional uses for it which I'll share for those who may find it useful.

Simply put, I selected a block that has three useful dimensions: 9 x 6 x 3 inches, and therefore can be used as a robust and portable measuring tool.

HeadStand Push-Ups (HeSPU)

Simply place the block on floor (using the relevant side) between your hands. Lower down to the block, pause, and press back up. When this gets too easy, you have two options. If the next increment is a bridge too far, but the previous one has ceased to be taxing, use it for negatives. The option to lower down with your head lightly resting on something feels a lot more secure, and reduces the risk of going too far and landing on your face if you run out of gas at the bottom.

HandStand Push-Ups (HSPU)

Eventually, once you progress to full ROM HSPU on paralettes, this principle may be of use again, rather than constantly raising the surface on which you place your hands?

Single Leg Squat (SLS)

Since for some reason I get knee pain when I attempt 'pistol' style SLS currently, I have been going with single leg squats with the spare thigh vertical. Start with your feet together. Place the block on the floor behind the heel of the leg you are going to lift. Bend the spare knee to [degrees]90[/degrees], and squat back until your knee lightly brushes the block. Pause and come back up. Having the block behind your feet means you need to push your hips back which, along with outstretching your arms to counter balance, seems to keep the back in a good position. Went from 9" to 6" to 3" relatively quickly, and without the knee pain.

N.B. I would advise against supporting your weight (HS, SLS) on the block(s) at anything other than the 3" height, as then the ratio between height and contact area means that stability is severely compromised!

Will add more if I think any up.

Regards,

George.

your knee pain is primarily caused by your lack of flexibility in your knee. this is why i start out all beginners with assisted pistol holds at the bottom by holding onto a pole and assisted descents to their butts. partial ROM is good.

this was also done with someone much bigger than you George and not a bunch of skinny runts and pubescent boys and girls under 100 pounds.

• 5 months later...
your knee pain is primarily caused by your lack of flexibility in your knee. this is why i start out all beginners with assisted pistol holds at the bottom by holding onto a pole and assisted descents to their butts. partial ROM is good.

this was also done with someone much bigger than you George and not a bunch of skinny runts and pubescent boys and girls under 100 pounds.

Interesting.

If the ankle isn't very flexible either, the knee will have to compensate for that. There is so much going on with the knees and muscles in the hips when squatting.