Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

What to eat before morning workout?

Murray Truelove

Murray Truelove

I do F1/H1 in the mornings immediately after waking up and I often do this on an empty stomach. What do I need to eat prior to my workout? 

Would something like: BCAA + creatine + 1 sweet potato be enough or do I need to even eat during my workout? I have a PWO shake so this would just be to give me enough energy and protect my hard earned muscle.

I make a coffee and 1lt of water (plus a bit of salt) that I drink throughout my workout.

Thanks.

Joel Tomkins

A faster carb than sweet potato would be ideal. Maybe a white potato!

Joshua Slocum

When I used to do morning workouts, I found that what worked well for me was eating half a muffin and a banana. 

Murray Truelove

I don't think I could stop at half a muffin! I thought baked goods were off the menu?

Keilani Gutierrez

today, I had two bananas and my protein shake with some acai juice. delicious :D 

Joshua Slocum

I don't think I could stop at half a muffin! I thought baked goods were off the menu?

Why would baked goods be off the menu? You need fuel, and baked goods, which are made mostly of flour and sugar, are good for fuel. 

• Upvote 2

Jon Douglas

Greek yoghurt with apple and cinnamon for me prior to H1 work today :) not even a coffee yet today, wonder what's wrong with me~~~

Murray Truelove

Why would baked goods be off the menu? You need fuel, and baked goods, which are made mostly of flour and sugar, are good for fuel. 

Not sure... just assumed it went against the whole "eat clean" thing.

Kate Abernethy

today, I had two bananas and my protein shake with some acai juice. delicious :D

Didn't you feel it sloshing about when doing the exercises involving the core?  :(

Joshua Slocum

Not sure... just assumed it went against the whole "eat clean" thing.

Oh, I see. Unless you're gluten sensitive or you find that they sit heavy in your stomach, baked goods are fine for workout fuel. Outside of that you'd do well do minimize/avoid them, though, since they tend to be empty, fast calories. 

Didn't you feel it sloshing about when doing the exercises involving the core?  :(

It takes some experimenting to figure out what works for you personally. In general the idea is to eat something with a high GI that's filling enough to diminish your hunger, yet light enough that it doesn't slosh around. 

• Upvote 1

Keilani Gutierrez

Didn't you feel it sloshing about when doing the exercises involving the core? :(

not at all, then again, im following Josh's peri workout recommendations, I ate the bananas first to get some carbs in and then had my shake slowly, maybe 2-4 ounce gulps before finishing it. put on a timer for 30 minutes while I got my area ready, prepped my breakfast and wen to go workout. today I was doing mn/sl/sls pe's and even during SL i didnt feel any discomfort. (from the food that is :P)

Kate Abernethy

Thank you for that KeilaniG and Hari_Seldon. I hope to get it right soon.

Tom Sugden

I'll usually eat a large omelette 1 hour before working out (3 large eggs and packed full of veggies, which includes a source of starchy carbs). I'll also have PWO shake made from water, 30g whey and ~50g of waxy maize.

I feel energised while working out; I then won't feel hungry until a maybe 3 hours later, at which point I'll have a meal of meat and veggies.

This suits my schedule but probably isn't optimal. Thoughts?

Also, does having a large breakfast affect the PWO shake at all? Could the fats from say eggs and olive oil inhibit the rate of absorption?

(I've lurked here since starting F1/H1 but this my first post. So far I've been having great success and I'm continuing to learn a lot - so thanks all!)

• 2 weeks later...
Murray Truelove

What about milk? Can I just drink half a pint or something?

Joel Tomkins

I love milk but alot of it before workouts hasn't always been the easiest to keep down. Skim milk has been mentioned before for pre and post workout meals - less fat means faster absorption - but it still is relatively slow compared to whey and other high gi carbs. It's quick and easy though so if it works for you!

Marc Proudman

I find a handful or two of sultanas and some whey pretty easy to deal with first thing.

• 1 month later...

Before morning exercise it is good to eat something energetic. Fruits are great food to eat before morning exercise. You can also drink fruit juice because with fresh fruit juice we can get lot of energy,

Important Information

Please review our Privacy Policy at Privacy Policy before using the forums.