Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Why I'm here...

Steve Batho

Steve Batho

Hi. I've been following the F1 and H1 for a couple of months now. I'm just coming up to a deload week which is a relief though. I'm doing okish but having videoed a few of my movements the other day I think I may have been deluding myself a little on my form of some of them. I'm struggling to get the hang of some moves so will post some videos in the appropriate topic a bit later.

Anyway... I wanted to share what brought me to GST first. About 18 months or so ago I stumbled across a photo of a guy doing a straddle planche on the handrails of an empty swimming pool and it blew me away at the time. I didn't know it was called a planche at that time and I'd never been aware of seeing anything like it before. I had to google crazy search terms like 'pressup with feet in the air' before I finally found what it was called. So I decided that I wanted to train to do that move. Having done no exercise at all for the previous 15 years I tried to develop a home made bodyweight routine and googled like crazy to learn all I could about bodyweight routines (which brought me to these forums as a guest previously).I found I was pretty weak and kept injuring myself so I decided to join a gym for the first time in my life (I'm in my 40s) and try to gain some strength. I also started monitoring my diet (via MyFitnessPal) and started cycling to work daily to shift some excess pounds. I concentrated on compound exercises at the gym and made decent progress with the amount of weight I could lift and started seeing a real change in the way my body looked. I stuck with that for about a year, 3 times a week, and got in the best shape I've been for many years, but... I realised that actually I'd lost sight of my original goal. To do a planche! That brought me back here and eventually to F1 and H1. In the first couple of weeks I thought that the training would be too easy and that I'd lose what I'd gained at the gym. I was wrong! I'm continuing to get fitter and more flexible than I was (still stiff as a board of course though) and looking forward to the future. Despite making good progress lifting weights I think I'd have made quicker and better progress if I'd have started on this in the first place.

I hope that wasn't too boring. I want to share some form check videos in the near future but wanted to introduce myself first.

By the way, if you know the photo I'm referring to that inspired me I'd be grateful of a link to it. I can't find it again now.

Jasper

• Upvote 2

Mats Trane

Well done and welcome to the Forum! I' m in my (very) late forties and have been doing GST for a couple of years now and never got sick or bored of it. Your key to succeeding is patience. Never give up!

It was very wise of you to get F1&H1. The better you get at the basics the easier the more advanced stuff will be.

I wish I would have had it from the beginning.

Have fun!

• Upvote 1

Adam Bodestyne

I wonder how many other people have been inspired to do this sort of work as a result of seeing a photo of a planche.. I know I was, several years ago.

And, welcome! (c:

• Upvote 1

Martin Heilmann

Welcome Japser, your introduction wasn`t boring at all :) Beeing 24 years old i have great respect of you and all the other guys who are so focused and motivated to work out and aiming for GST or any other sports in your 40s. I hope to be at the same point in 20 years :) All the best on your further path !

• Upvote 2

Jon Douglas

I think I remember seeing that photo on Dragondoor, but I havent been back there more than a couple times since signing onto Gbodies :-)

Welcome to the place. No age is a bad age to invest in your health, condition and plain joy of moving :-)

• Upvote 1

Steve Batho

Thanks KingJR. I think that is it, although it doesn't look quite as awesome as I remember it now. I suppose I've now seen hundreds of planche photos and videos so maybe I'm a bit desensitised!

I'd hoped to find it again, print it out and stick it to the fridge but maybe I could find a better one! Hopefully one day I can have one taken of me doing the same thing. That'd be truly awesome!

Jon Douglas

Thanks KingJR. I think that is it, although it doesn't look quite as awesome as I remember it now. I suppose I've now seen hundreds of planche photos and videos so maybe I'm a bit desensitised!

I'd hoped to find it again, print it out and stick it to the fridge but maybe I could find a better one! Hopefully one day I can have one taken of me doing the same thing. That'd be truly awesome!

That was the same picture I was thinking of. And yeah, doesn't look nearly as impressive as I'd remembered it ^_^ You'll be able to take a picture of yourself doing better if you work smart and hard :)

• Upvote 1